We're moving our tavern beachside in '09

hurricane

We had such a blast with the encampment folks this year that we plan on moving the "Catt & Fiddle" beachside near Silkie's wonderful ordinary. Diosa wants to be a buxom serving wench to Silkie and Hurricane loves making the period rum punch. So why not set up our period tavern out where there are the best rogues and wenches to enjoy its games of skill and chance and sit a spell to tell tall tales into the wee hours.

Diosa will also be bringing her Tea Shoppe out there as well since most of our customers were our mates from the encampment.

Hope all of you that earned commemorative bottles of the Pyrates of the Coast's best enjoys them. Already working on next years for our new beachside pub.

Already making plans for a bigger, better time next year!!!! And thanks to all for a terrific time.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

There is a movement afoot to get the "merchants" and taverns, ordinaries etc to all be grouped together, town center style, with the various camps set up around them. Dibs on beach-side!

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I think that's a great idea. We actually had done that (for those old timers) when we first moved to the fort in 2005(?). We had all a whole little town out there.

The Catt & Fiddle will be happy to return to the beach "town". We fit there better anyway, since we're not really a "merchant" in the fort, but a representation of a period pub in Port Royal. All the mundanes kept wanting to eat with us.

-- Hurricane

There is a movement afoot to get the "merchants" and taverns, ordinaries etc to all be grouped together, town center style, with the various camps set up around them. Dibs on beach-side!

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Would this mean that you would be outside the fortress walls (beach side, I've only been to PiP once)?

Would the small pub that was placed in a corner gun emplacement move or are these two different vendors?

When my wife and I attended PiP in 2006 we spent a good amount of time in the gun emplacement tower that was converted into a pub. That place had real atmosphere! The dripping candles, the rough benches, music that echoed off earth, and the view of the sea from behind stone windows had the feel of a place taken over and claimed by pirates.

Not that I'm trying to rain on you Hurricane. Just curious.

Yes it had ambiance, only it is the worst place on the planet to sing in. Move the rhum and the singers to the beach, says I, and all will be well. You can still do ghost walks in the fort...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

The Fort Zach Pub stays where it is, in the casements in the corner. It's a very popular spot and there's still lots of drinking and singing there.

Ours is a representation of what a tavern was like in Port Royal during the buccaneer era when there were some 700 such places for 7,000 people. We ran it for the last two years in one of the casements, next to our shop.

During the day it is for education - period games, politics of the times, what people drank and ate and artifacts from the city that sank in 1692 that we have. Kind of a living museum, at least that's what we're shooting for when the public is around.

In the evening, it is for the pirates and buccaneers -- singing, storytelling, rum punch drinking and hanging around in candlelight, much as you would in Wickedest City on Earth at the time. All we need is someone to punch a hole in a cask of wine and throw tankards of it at people as they walk by for it to be truly authentic.

If the buccaneer folks figure out the boucan we can serve period meats out of it two for some of the meals, along with Silkie's ordinary.

-- Hurricane

Would this mean that you would be outside the fortress walls (beach side, I've only been to PiP once)?

Would the small pub that was placed in a corner gun emplacement move or are these two different vendors?

When my wife and I attended PiP in 2006 we spent a good amount of time in the gun emplacement tower that was converted into a pub. That place had real atmosphere! The dripping candles, the rough benches, music that echoed off earth, and the view of the sea from behind stone windows had the feel of a place taken over and claimed by pirates.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

The Fort Zach Pub stays where it is, in the casements in the corner. It's a very popular spot and there's still lots of drinking and singing there.

Ours is a representation of what a tavern was like in Port Royal during the buccaneer era when there were some 700 such places for 7,000 people. We ran it for the last two years in one of the casements, next to our shop.

During the day it is for education - period games, politics of the times, what people drank and ate and artifacts from the city that sank in 1692 that we have. Kind of a living museum, at least that's what we're shooting for when the public is around.

In the evening, it is for the pirates and buccaneers -- singing, storytelling, rum punch drinking and hanging around in candlelight, much as you would in Wickedest City on Earth at the time. All we need is someone to punch a hole in a cask of wine and throw tankards of it at people as they walk by for it to be truly authentic.

If the buccaneer folks figure out the boucan we can serve period meats out of it two for some of the meals, along with Silkie's ordinary.

-- Hurricane

That is fantastic. Best of both worlds!

I agree...Old Zach's Tavern isn't the best for singing. Unless its really quiet in there and the singer knows how to work around the bad acoustics it all sounds like a bloody muffled mess. There's not much we can do about the acoustics.. STILL its become a tradition, and the ambience is part of what makes those evenings special...

Even with the bad sound, there were a few times during the public hours that the place was packed with people,...even if they could hardly understand what was being said they seemed transfixed by the whole spectacle.

I'd really love to have some instrumental acoustic music in the pub to break things up, if anyone plays and wants to volunteer some time it would be great. I'm going to start a thread of old pub tunes and sea songs I hope people will add to it. If we can agree on Keys to play them in, by next year we'll have a good list of songs we can all play together. Wouldn't that be grand!!! For anyone who plays concertina, fiddle or fife it would be especially beneficial.

What do you guys thing about a "Jam session" in the pub from 3 - until the park closes (since its primarily for the public) and then move the festivities beach side after the pub closes, so we can enjoy each others company before turning in?

Of course the last night will always be the exception. We all spend more time in Old Zach's on that final evening because of the pig roast and ghost tours and video slide show. Not to mention, being inside the fort after dark is part of what makes this fest special. As much as I love the beach, I'd hate to see everything move outside the fort. I'll miss the shadows and the spirits, and I think they'd miss us.

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

I agree...Old Zach's Tavern isn't the best for singing. Unless its really quiet in there and the singer knows how to work around the bad acoustics it all sounds like a bloody muffled mess. There's not much we can do about the acoustics.. STILL its become a tradition, and the ambience is part of what makes those evenings special...

Even with the bad sound, there were a few times during the public hours that the place was packed with people,...even if they could hardly understand what was being said they seemed transfixed by the whole spectacle.

I'd really love to have some instrumental acoustic music in the pub to break things up, if anyone plays and wants to volunteer some time it would be great. I'm going to start a thread of old pub tunes and sea songs I hope people will add to it. If we can agree on Keys to play them in, by next year we'll have a good list of songs we can all play together. Wouldn't that be grand!!! For anyone who plays concertina, fiddle or fife it would be especially beneficial.

What do you guys thing about a "Jam session" in the pub from 3 - until the park closes (since its primarily for the public) and then move the festivities beach side after the pub closes, so we can enjoy each others company before turning in.

Of course the last night will always be the exception. We all spend more time in Old Zach's on that final evening because of the pig roast and ghost tours and video slide show...... not to mention, being inside the fort after dark is part of what makes this fest special. As much as I love the beach, I'd hate to see everything move outside the fort, I'll miss the shadows and the spirits, and I think they'd miss us.

Don't you worry love! I will not leave the fort completely. I wouldn't know what to do without my ghost walks! I did one every night! I will always come to the fort.

My problem, music wise, is during the day I am always running around doing things...so I don't start to settle down until the evening.... that is why we are thinking of those being out on the beach.... however, if I happen to be hanging in the fort and you're there, I'd love to sing a few with you! I know there are at least 2 or 3 we both know :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com