garb- full on reenactor? Or Hollywood type?

Gunpowder Gertie

Hi- I'm new to the forum, and I'm wondering about garb. I see there is a schism developing between authentic historical re-enactors, and Hollywood pirates.

I've been lurking in the pub for a while, trying to do some research and am in the process of putting together my new outfit. I've got some ideas, some new skirts and bodice, and weathering them and my weapons appropriately.

My garb is a combination of both, I try to have a foot in both camps shall we say. I know that footwear is usually the last thing to be authentic..I have a pair of blundstone boots under my skirts, with buckles attached. You can't tell from a distance, but I'll hopefully have something a bit more authentic come Spring.

Although my hat is one supposedly from a pirate costume in the latest Peter Pan movie, I have some accoutrements that have history- real pirate cob coins and such, original whalebone fid etc..in addition to my Baldric and sword, my clay pipe, the spanish replica flintlocks and Jack Sparrowish hair bangles, and beads.

So- what is the consensus? Is it appropriate to be either? Should I look to have a "hollywood" costume and authentic garb, depending on the event?

I am in the Pacific Northwest, and there is a lot of pirate festivals available to me to attend here. I'm just getting started, so any advice would be appreciated..I've been to a local Renfair a couple of times, but the pirate contingent was rather small...

I mean..

Yarr! Any fair wind what blows me toward my destination be appreciated! Yar! :D

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very few pirate events are hard core re-enactment. In my experience, even when they are, they have been very patient and very helpful in guiding others toward more appropriate clothing, footwear, hats, etc.

Our group can do period correct, but we straddle the line because it's more fun for us personally. And that's really it - whatever you decide, it should be fun for you. I wouldn't worry much about whether you fit in with one camp or another. The pirate contingent in most places is fairly welcoming and fun loving.

If you do want to improve your kit, hang out in Twill. There are some terrific people there with amazing resources. They can even pull up period pictures and photos of artifacts to help.

Fair winds and why is it all the years I was in Washington, there were no damned pirates... and now they're everywhere.

Taking it personally here in Florida :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

While I tend to the historical myself (I am lucky to make it to two events a year, and both have clear guidelines for appropriate attire), I believe it is a really a case of "when in Rome..."

What I mean is that one should make allowance for the scenario and the guidelines. A Jack Sparrow clone at last year's commemoration of Sir Francis Drake's Raid on St. Augustine was asked to ditch the mascara and then gently steered into some loaner gear, which seemed a good compromise. On the other hand, I think it would be foolish to show up at Ye Olde Turkey Leg Roast and Pirate Pub Crawl in completely authentic gear and complain loudly that the other participants weren't historically valid.

Both ends of the spectrum can be accomodated without raining on anyone's parade.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

I throw my tuppence in with Red Sea Trade's comments.

I will add, in response to 'Should I look to have a "hollywood" costume and authentic garb, depending on the event?' that it's a lot easier to add Hollywood flash to authentic gear than to make Hollywood authentic.

Finally, as Portlandia is my home port, I am curious as to where in the great PNW you find a lot of pirate festivals?

Edited by Quartermaster James

My only comment is this: If you own PC garb then you can easily do either PC or Hollywood. If you have Hollywood garb then you are not permitted inside the PC encampment. Neither is right or wrong.

Example: Some Hollywood friends that are VERY good with the crowds came to the best east coast PC event. Sadly they were not permitted to come inside the PC area. Now Pyrates that we are we simply moved the party outside the lines with them. It would have been better if they had been able to join us inside with the other groups.

That same group is host to an equally amazing Pyrate event also on the east coast they have a Hollywood encampment and they have a PC encampment. Works well but boy the travel from 1720 to Hollywood is murder on the feet!

Edited by Silkie McDonough

I'm also one of those that says if you go authentic, you can fit in with both groups....

But... it does take time to get everything right... Start with the basics (you can cheat a bit, by using cotton instead of linen, hemp and wool, but then if you do go more authentic, you have to re-make everything, but you can do it one article at a time....at least you have something to wear.....)

A common sailor is a good start, then if you go to a Renn. Faire or such, you can always add a flashy coat, an outrageous hat and add a whole bunch of extra stuff hanging from your belt, and fit right in... :angry:

I'd have to agree with Patrick ...it's easier for authentic to blend with Hollywood than the other direction and the shoes should be one thing to begin with since ill fitting shoes WILL destroy any event you go to ...if your feet hurt you ain't happy!!! just my two farthings worth :angry: :huh: :huh:

I'd have to agree with Patrick ...it's easier for authentic to blend with Hollywood than the other direction and the shoes should be one thing to begin with since ill fitting shoes WILL destroy any event you go to ...if your feet hurt you ain't happy!!! just my two farthings worth :angry: :huh: :huh:

One thing I can add to the authentic aspect as well as the fact that tis easier to blend in at either event, is that the natural pc materials wear a whole lot better on hot days... polyester/rayon is murder in the heat...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

really it depends on your intentions within the hobby/lifestyle??......are you in it just to have fun?...are ya plannin on educatin the mis-informed while your havin fun??...you wanna try an feel what it mustof felt like??...tryin to relive a movie moment??...just like men in tights??

as far as goin to all events...then save some doh...and spend some time first...and git a baisic pc...shirt/pants/hose/westkit....then add to it....movie version or pc...depending on what your prefferences

as far as the shoes....tend to be a big ticket item...first get some cheaters that are at least comfortable...the shoes are generly the last things folk look at.....then save up for a really good pc pair....its amaasing how a simple pair of shoes will set off a pc outfit.

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Eye do both "Hollywood" and "Authentic"

depending on the event and the group I

am crewing with.. I am expanding in both areas

and am even going off the deep end with

a "pirate/voodoo" character for a ren faire.

It is for me about having fun with the public you interact with

and the friends ye make along the way with the same

Pirate spirit. Huzza! It's a journey ...

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

eh, its all what you make it out to be. as others who are wiser have already said, you can do historical and add to it to cover hollywood or renfaires- but its darned hard to bring the other two into living history. profess to be an expert at nothing and see where your research and comfort take you. heck we have folks here who are online pirates and add to the community only in the forums- but they are still participating how they wish and are comfortable. we are all here for the common goal and enjoy each others company- even if we do get testy with each other on occasion.

now i do living history and enjoy interacting with the public. I try to stay away from "reenactor" I only reenact one event- the rest of the time is living history. its a ball watching a kid figure out a knot or have an off the wall conversation with an adult about some aspect of maritime history- you never know what is going to come up. I have the real pleasure of coxwaining a 27 foot reproduction longboat and have had no less than a dozen of this fine forum aboard. its great to watch the faces as they can make a connection with the past that most pirate living historians don't get to do. Early in October I was crewing on board at a revolutionary war event and put no less than 100 troops ashore (twas a long day) and was amazed at the number of reenactors who have been doing this a long long time came up and asked if they could have lessons. seems that boats are few and boat crews willing to teach are even fewer. enough rambling- just get out, see whats there and enjoy.

Edited by bbcddutchman

Ooo.. hehehe, ye struck th' words again, lass.

Historically Authentic or Hollywood?

Hmm, well, some of the past couple pirate films have been getting awefully close if not spot on to historical look of pirates.

So, really... it comes down to not the authentic and accurate or Hollywood, etc.... but how realistic the look is. The more research you do, the better the look you will get. Plenty of women pirates, etc in history. Plenty of women who went against the mainstream.

Authentic and accurate does pass off at any event, but which era and time period are you going for? What look do you want? Who and what is yo'r persona? Questions you have to ask yourself. Cause just changing yo'r attire won't help unless you know what yo'r persona is and why.

Look at the past few pirate films and documentaries, look up the info and do the research.

All in all, again, it's the realism of a pirate look. Meaning, if you were in yo'r garb... could ye be taken out of this time and placed into that timeperiod and blend in perfectly?

All questions you ask yo'rself. :) It's all about the look YOU want.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Well, if you've lurked along some of my posts you may be able to tell I'm anything but authentic (except my hat, woot). I'm all for the spirit of piracy and therefore, any attire works. There's so many regions of which piracy took place and therefore many different national flavors. That and records being spotty and hard to find, especially paintings which is all we can really go by.

I personally find reenactments to be a tad boring (although a great history lesson) and I say wear whatever you like. Even "Hollywood" pirates look pretty good. To be honest, if you don't go Hollywood you will end up looking like a poor sailor. I don't find that to be very interesting.

Historically, boots are a no but I think boots are pretty damn pirate looking and good looking to boot (no pun). I also try and stay away from gaudy things like skulls, unless it's made from nut or wood. I make attempts to try and match a region but you can only go so far. By match I mean don't wear wool clothing if you're a Caribbean pirate because it's too warm there and no one would wear them. Otherwise, just wear what you like.

The last thing I would want to see is everyone looking the same like a Civil War Re-enactment. Pirates are great because of the individualism involved.

Just my two cents.

Thankee so much fer the opinions lads an lasses!

I want my look to be authentic..but I am not at the stage yet that I belong to a reenacting group..although, part of the authenticity I'm lookin' for- would entail a historical bent. Now- I have some cotton items, some rayon items. real leather, wool stockings..for after all, I am a Stubbs from BC, d'y see? So- piratin' gets a mite cold up here! <_<

Now that be where I take m'name from...

a Stubbs from Bc..

what else would I be

but

a gunpowder gertie?

Little piratical rap there...har!

(well- I started out as a Dirty Gertie...)

my boots are right shape give or take, but the buckles are fake..and I would like real authentic shoes.Don't think seaboots are quite right fer me...

I love to perform and to entertain..so I can see myself being more of a Hollywood pirate, and yet- I want the look to be authentic as well. I have a great coat I can wear at colder events..I'm thinkin' I'd like to do parades and meet the folks. I'm not ready to be a historical figure, because I am not an expert on piratical history. I have been doing a LOT of research however- reading the mags, the books, watching the movies and the documentaries..see how they are similar and different.

I think ultimately the garb and character I choose, will depend on the folk I meet and the crews I associate with.

But as for now, I am going for a more of the Golden Age look..and I want to look good. <_<

and piratey!

yaar!

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Brilliant, Gertie. :)

The Golden Age is an era that is not portrayed by many historically as reenactors. There are some here on the Pub who do this.

I wish ye luck on yo'r venture for the new look. It's never easy, lots of research, tons of time working on the outfit... but all in all, it's a fantastic outcome. :ph34r:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

My only comment is this: If you own PC garb then you can easily do either PC or Hollywood. If you have Hollywood garb then you are not permitted inside the PC encampment.

But...do th' Hollywood encampment post sentry t' keep them PC pirates out?? :ph34r:

Me self, I try t' stay PC but depend'n on just who ye speak with: 'If ye looks like a pirate then ye Naught a pirate'

Now then why would I want t' dress up like a non-pirate t' be a pirate??

**had t' run, important business**

Now me preference been PC style more 'er less, all linen (wool give me rash unless there be a fine soft wench between me 'n it!) with press'd felt tricorn. I too like th' boots but also has a pair o' shoes on order (be'n "re-done" at th' moment...I hope!) however I still want t' also find me a pair o' boots more period, perhaps even more earlier, like what them three mousekateers use'd t' wear; ye knows, the ones what fold down then up again. Now me current frock, it be model'd after that Jack fellow but in brown linen with natural color linen liner. I do naught like that the buttons naught be work'n ones but it be a very fine coat so I keeps it but also some day wants one like what Long John Silver wears, naught red thou, I do naught much like wear'n red - English Brits Wears Red So We's Can See Them T' Shoot Them!!!

But as far as "PC", nay, I try Naught t' copy paintings 'n drawings but rather perfer t' see them as 'reference' then find/do somthing similar but different, keep th' same basic curves 'n flavor, stay within period materials, but be me self. I am that way in this life and By Thunder I would have been that way in that life as well - after all, did any o' th' FAMOUS pirates in history go around be'n "PC", uh?

Blackbeard - everyone here will argue that beards naught be "PC". Everyone here will argue that true PC would 'blend in with commoners' 'n naught be noticed when in town. WELL, I hardly think one would naught recognize Blackbeard at the local tavern!!

Calico Jack - now did he naught get he's name from be'n rather a peacock o' pirates, a real dandy boy?? Guess nobody told he'm how t' be "PC" either.

Ann Bonny 'n Marry Reed - now come on! Did naught nobody tell them wenches how wenches t' be dress'n???! Naught "PC" - now what man here want t' tell them they can naught join yer crew fer they naught dressed proper, eh, anyone??

Now o' course there were pirates who where "PC", there be that William Kidd, like he had t' be PC simply for th' type o' pirate he be. But remember, he was naught a rouge o' th' sea as it may be, he was a sneak thief pirate. But what about ones we know of but have no actual paintings of, ones that got a way, and successfully, do ye naught thing they embellished in silk and some fine finery along th' way with their spoils? Naught t' mention ones who did so obviously and so much so it got them caught....'n hung!

As far as "PC" goes, aye, there be PC (Piratically Correct) then there be PC, ones who will argue till th' rum be gone simply for they naught seen done that way or worn that way before, even if it be very close, it naught an Exact Replica Of....xyz.

Aye, I prefer Piratically Correct over some blaggard's idea o' PC anyday, 'n if they do naught let me in - Then T' Davey Jones Locker With Them All Says I!

Edited by MadL

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Gertie, judging from your pictures here you do look good -- and piratey!

My reenactor garb isn't piratey at all - it's just that of 18th century common woman. Considering my age, gender and general temperment, I don't think I could pull off a convincing historical pirate, no matter what I wore. So at reenactment events, I go with what makes me feel comfortable so I can be as historically accurate as possible.

On the other hand, my pirate garb, with the velvet hat & plume, skull & crossbone jewelry, etc, is not going to fool anyone as period correct. It has some of that historical "feel" that others have mentioned, but it's only a step above a pirate "costume". It seems to be appropriate for pirate festivals and renfaires and that's all that matters to me. This is the time for having fun and "playing pirate" -- it's definitely more gaudy (and a little sexier) than historically accurate.

My only advice on dressing for events -- invest in comfortable footwear! No matter how good you look, you can't have fun if your feet are in pain!

Ahoy, Mates!

Havin' taken what ye be sayin' ta heart -about fittin' in if I twere transported back in tyme...

I been messin' with th engravin' stores...I mean Photoshop..

and I made myself a vintage engravin' style pic.

So- what say ye? This twas me old garb, and a bit o' polyester there..but the idea is there, and I'm trying to historicalize it up...

gertie3small.jpg what say ye?

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

I go both ways. danse1.gif

:D

naught that thar be anything wrong with that....but Rumba, can I watch???!

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I started off Hollywood. I would assume everyone here had to start off because of Hollywood making Films and Tv shows about Pirates. Looking back, I think putting together a historic kit is ten times easier than Hollywood garb. When you see someone purchase $400 dollar CaBoots you think to yourself, "they could have bought some really nice kicks from Sara Juniper for half that". I guess it's what floats your pirate boat. I enjoy any and everyone whos interested in all things nautical, Hollywood or Historic. It's a personal challenge for me to look historical and it makes me happy and thats the important part. The hardest part for me wih trying to do authentic is the reenactor crowd....some are very hard to be around. We had a event last night called Lamplight tours at the local Museum and a Civil war reenactor asked what time period I was from, I told him GAoP and then he made a comment about my shoes not being butt stiched....hmmmm. There is one in every crowd. So I did what any Pirate (Ahem, Sailor) would do....I relieved myself on the back of his wedge tent..Don't worry, it's most likely water proofed. Where was I? Oh!

I lean towards Authentic..

Edited by Kenneth

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

Ha there not butt stitched! I would have stitched his butt for that comment. Like you can just go and find those kind of shoes anywhere.

Luckly for him a lot of Civil War stuff is easier to document and procure. Anyways.... :rolleyes:

I'm on the authentic side for sure. (I'm not completely there but getting closer all the time.) But if I need to go hollywood, I've got boots. :huh:

But I feel the same way, its easier to go authentic to hollywood, than hollywood to authntic. For me trying to experience what life was like back then is what interest me most. I love it.