Yer Musical Inclinations... What be they?

Quite a musical crew says I. Back in the late 60s-early 70s I played guitar in a rock band, but I don't remember it much. Then I played the bagpipes in a pipe band for 10 years, but got tired of women asking what I wore under me kilt.-Me shoes. Now I still play guitar, and squeezebox{button Accordion} Irish tunes, and sea shanties.

Together we shall sail the sea, best friends we'll always be. But, if we should ever disagree, the hell with you, and hurray for me.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How'd I miss this topic? I am an unreformed an unrepentant collector of musical instruments (oh, hell let's be honest. I collect everything I see.) I can play most of these a bit, master of none:

1. Acoustic guitar (a Lyle, hand me down from me brother. He kept the Martin. And the Epiphone, Gibson archtop, National Steel,...)

2. Concertina. Anglo style, meaning it plays the same note pushing or pulling.

3. Banjo. 5-string, open back. Picked it up at a thrift store about a month ago. Gradually bringing back into playing condition.

4. Assorted pennywhistles & fifes. Anything with six holes.

I saved the oddballs for last...

5. Sälgflöjt. Swedish for "willow flute" pronounced SELL-ya-flüt. It's a flute without any finger holes. You change to note by covering or uncovering the other end, and changing breath pressure. Imagine being able to play a real song by blowing on a coke bottle. Here's a link on how to make one out of PVC pipe. Should cost you less than a buck.

'6. Nyckelharpa. The most incredible instrument you've never heard of. It's the national instrument of Sweden. The name translates as "keyed fiddle". Here's a picture:

harpa.big.jpg

It has 16 strings, but you only play 3. Kind of a cross between a fiddle, hurdy gurdy, sitar and accordian. Better yet, got to The American Nyckelharpa Association's home page, and learn all about it. It has a huge sound, almost like a string quartet in the hands of a master. And it looks SO DAMN COOL!

I have to plug the great music coming out of Scandinavia in the last 10 years or so. There's been a huge revival of traditional music and instruments, rejiggered by a generation of musicians who grew up on the Beatles, Ramones, Nirvana, etc. etc. These are definately not the songs my grandparents played.

If anyone is really insterested, I can go on and on and on.... Try googling Väsen, Hedningarna or Värttina. Ye won't be disappointed.

;)

It has a huge sound, almost like a string quartet in the hands of a master. And it looks SO DAMN COOL!

WOW....That thar thing looks like a weapon!

Have ye killed a person with it? ;)

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin' over yer ship...

Don't permit me aboard and I'll still take over yer ship"

It has a huge sound, almost like a string quartet in the hands of a master.  And it looks SO DAMN COOL!

WOW....That thar thing looks like a weapon!

Have ye killed a person with it? ;)

I've never killed anyone with it, but there's an old Swedish legend about two nyckelharpa masters engaged in a musical battle to the death. The old masters supposedly sold their souls to the devil in order to gain supreme skill in playing their nyckelharpor, and thwart their opponent with spells. The old fellers could make the other guys bow lose its hair, make the nyckelharpa go out of tune or even fall apart. (And you thought it was just blues guitarists that did that!) Eventually one drove the other mad, and he ran off and threw himself over a waterfall. And this was at a wedding dance! Try that the next time some drunk tells you to play Unchained Melody.

I be likin to beat on the drums

and bring down the redhand

on any yellow belly scab picker

who don't be doin his share of the rowin.......

zakas_redhand-250x250.jpg

A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel in his pants. The bartender

says "hey, you've got a steering wheel in your pants", the pirate replies

"yarrrrr, it's driving me nuts".

Oh! Pennywhistle is fun and rather easy! Blow softly coverin' all the toneholes fer the lowest sound, then pull up one finger at a time 'til there's no fingers left, then blow a little bit harder, then snap all yer fingers back down. The pitch should jump an octave from yer original note- an' congrats!- ye got yerself a C scale! If ye half-cover the holes, ye can get half tones an varying breath support can bend the pitch, too. Best o' luck if ye so choose ter continue yer pennywhistling ventures.

Sjoroveren....that instrument is so neat lookin'. 'Bout how much does one o' them go for?

"Oh, never, never, never again,

If I live to be a hundred or a hundred and ten.

I fell to the ground and I couldn't get up

After drinking a pint of the Johnny Jump Up."

~"Johnny Jump Up" -Gaelic Storm

"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

-Sigmund Freud (on the Irish)

Damn double post.... :ph34r:

"Oh, never, never, never again,

If I live to be a hundred or a hundred and ten.

I fell to the ground and I couldn't get up

After drinking a pint of the Johnny Jump Up."

~"Johnny Jump Up" -Gaelic Storm

"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

-Sigmund Freud (on the Irish)

Sjoroveren....that instrument is so neat lookin'. 'Bout how much does one o' them go for?

A new one goes for anywhere from $800 to $3000. Average is about $1500. I got mine used from a desperate seller for $400, but it has some damage (cracked tailpiece, getting worse) that will cost me maybe $150 to repair.

99% are made in Sweden. I know of at least one person here in Minnesota who is making them, not sure about the rest of the US. I know they (and traditional Swedish music in general) are most popular in Minnesota, and around Seattle, Chicago and the Bay area. There's some good mp3's by the Nyckelharpa Orchestra avaiable here, and links to other music downloads here. (scroll down to "sound samples")

Enjoy!

Brannigan,

That be me favorite joke! :ph34r:

"Arr...It drives me nuts!"

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin' over yer ship...

Don't permit me aboard and I'll still take over yer ship"

• 2 weeks later...

I perform with a group called the Seadogs (a.k.a Paddy West) out of the San Francisco Bay area. I'm primarily a vocalist but I play the guitar and Cittern. I'm currently learning the Accordion and hope to get some lessons on the upright Bass.

I play the violin, percussion, and I sing.

I stopped practising my violin for ages and I recently got a beginner's book and started to relearn a whole bunch of stuff. And guess what I found in my vioin book? Blow the Man Down! (different version from the one I know, but still). I'd love to learn some other shanties too, when I get better and have more time to practise.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I saw bag pipes on this thread and had to say what instruments I play.

It started when I was a child of five and my parents decided they hated me. Er, I mean I play the accordian. Keyboard style accordian. It even has a place where I can plug it into an amp and scare the neighbors. ;)

At ten I picked up the piano. when I hit 20 I added the Strummed dulcimer to the growing collection along with drums. Then at 21 came the harp, year 23 brought the bag pipes (though I still sound like a dying cat on those.) and now at 29 I'm thinking of adding a concertina to the collection.

I sing of course..I was in a country band at 17 and nearly signed a contract but I backed out at the last minute..my Grandmother who raised me was very ill had heart attacks all the time and my Grandfather was dying of cancer..It just wasnt the right time for me...now I only sing about the house doing me chores and have kinda grown into stage fright...No instuments although hubby plays guitar, bass, keyboard, piano, flute, altosax and drums. So there ya have it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Update on my instruments. Never did start on concertina or hurdy gurdy, but I have started mandolin. FUN! I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to pick up a string instrument. Plus it has a nice little classical repetoire if I ever want to play it in early music ensembles (even Beethoven wrote for it!)

So now it's trumpet, cornetto, recorder, madolin (getting there) piano (used to almost be there) bodhran (not really there) and a whole slew of band and orchestra instruments (there if 'there' means should be registered as a deadly weapon). I don't think I'll be adding anymore to the list for a while. I'd rather get good on what I've got.

* :ph34r: *

blackeye susan

• 1 month later...

Well, now. What a musical bunch o' pyrates we got here!

I plays a bit o' the piano now and again.

I tried to learn violin, but no matter how set I were to studyin' it, I couldn't do no amount o' good with it, lackin' a teacher an' all.

I learned the strings, but not how to run the bow against them proper. You might say my cat was the one who destroyed the thing, what with her sensitive ears. But I'll not make accusations any which way.

I also plays a bit o' the mandolin when I gets a chance. Haven't touched one in years, though.

And, o' course, I sing. I been blessed with a belter voice, good for singin' loud bawdy tunes what might embarrass a shyer lot. I've been known to accompany myself whilst I sing, but that takes a good deal of practicin', dependin' on the difficulty o' the sheet music.

Played the drums until I was about 30 and then got tired of ticking off my neighbors. (Also, a drum set isn't the most portable of instruments.) It's tough to stop drumming, though, so Iron Jack got me a really good set of bongos and I'm planning on reacquainting myself with the bodhran. And when I turned 40 I took up ... the ukelele. :(

Iron Jack's much more musically inclined than me; he's a terrific singer and plays the guitar, keyboards, squeezebox and harmonica.

RHJMap.jpg

I've played the violin for close to 30 years. Started as a wee lass studying classical but since my parents were from the south, I learned to "fiddle". My aunt use to play in the Boston Symphony Orchestra, so I had great teachers. I use to tutor violin students but gave it up as parents weren't serious about their children learning the proper techniques. Everyone seems to expect to be able to play "Flight of the Bumblebee" in a week. Can also play a little bit of viola, cello and bass. Tried playing a guitar about 19 years ago, but although I have long fingers, my hands werent big enough so banjos were out too. Same thing with a piano. Played a trumpet for about three years just to learn a brass instrument. My father played a mandolin, so thus I learned to, although it's been close to 20 years since I touched one. And I can sing alto.

• 18 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some decades ago (early 1980s) I was in a band of sorts, but actually being able to play one's instrument wasn't a prerequisite.

Someone owed me money and I ended up in possession of an already beat to sh*t (1960s vintage) 3/4 scale Fender Jazzmaster Bass. A previous owner had replaced the stock pick-ups with some sort of dimarzio distortion pickups. The general state of wiring and electrical components (on/off switches, gain/volume pots) were all a mess and hardly worked. I rewired and repaired it as best I could, played through a Roland Jazz Chorus Guitar Amp and CryBaby Distortion Wha Pedal. Regretfully, I got rid of all that stuff.

Though I have a collection of penny whistles (that I don't practice with enough), now a days I mostly dabble in electronic synth noise and circuit bending toys. I have a couple keyboards, drum machines and a handful of toy  speak and spells.