Yer Musical Inclinations... What be they?

Since the age of 8 or 9, have played flute and piccolo. Played all through high school, a little in college, but haven't played as part of an ensemble since then. I just play for my own pleasure nowadays. My favorite pieces are by Bach and Mozart.

A few years back, I splurged and bought a sterling silver French flute (the type with holes in the keys). Sweet!

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe I be missin'this topic. I love music, punk rock in particular, some other stuff too like metal (older bands mostly), some Jazz, some oldies, a few pop-punk bands (Don't tell any of me friends I said that now!)

I play guitar, got a Fender Strat (bright red beauty, hope to get a black pick guard for 'er one of these days). Also have a crappy old acustic I got for ten bucks, I'm savin'up for a new one.

Also tried my hand at harmonica. I hated it. I've been thinking about trying it again though. Always had an interest in the violin too.

*Excited jumping* Any other Metallica fans in here? I can't wait to see them in March! My guitar teachers taking me, couldn't believe I got a ride and all. Very happy. I spent the $50 that was suppose to buy me clothes on the ticket :rolleyes: *Sigh* I love concerts. They makes me so happy *sniff*.

-Rabid Abbey

"Grrrrr!"-My dog

"When life isn't all that peachy, eat an apple. Moron."-Shorty The Gothic Sausage

Metallica rocks! Master of Puppets... one of the best!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

*gives Conner BIG thumbs up*

:ph34r:

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Started out oh, so many years ago on Cornet - switched to French Horn in high school to get better grades... :)

Now play banjo and tenor guitar and can also play a little six string and the bariton uke. Sing lead and background vocals with the Pyrates of the Coast band with the lovely Spitfire, beguiling Sloe Gin and ever so talented Sir Nigel. That's been the gig for the last 20 years... good way to get beer, broads and palimony suits.

Our pyrate band plays a wide range of music from all periods, and when we're roving with our piratical pals we tend to do more contemporary songs of the sea... John B. Sails (Beach Boys arrangment), Golden Vanity and Santy Anno (Kingston Trio) and Vasectomy (not a song of the sea but hilarious none the less).

Check out our schedule of voyages at http://www.piratesofthecoast.com/voyages/index.html

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

A damn shame, me lad. It's high time ye were dustin' off that old guitar and usin' yer pipes t' sing some roarin' chanteys.

If ye are ever up Seattle way, ye're always welcome at the Wawona chantey sing, 2nd Friday of every month. We have a great time and love pressin' people inta singin'. :)

Fair winds,

Trapper

Captain of the Tinker's Damn

I guess that would be a great idea if my guitar was on the same coast as I was. Assuming that my parents have not sold it yet I might pick it up the next time I head out west, probably in about a year.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

A damn shame, me lad. It's high time ye were dustin' off that old guitar and usin' yer pipes t' sing some roarin' chanteys.

If ye are ever up Seattle way, ye're always welcome at the Wawona chantey sing, 2nd Friday of every month. We have a great time and love pressin' people inta singin'. :)

Fair winds,

Trapper

Trapper, where be I goin'te find out more bout'this shanty singin'? I live in Kingston (Wa!) and would love to hear some songs of the sea!

"Grrrrr!"-My dog

"When life isn't all that peachy, eat an apple. Moron."-Shorty The Gothic Sausage

Don't play nothin' (me mother tried ta teach me piano, but I never got much outta it). I sing and shouldn't (especially when I really want to: when I'm drunk). My favorite sea shanty be "Yo Ho HO an' a Bottle o' Rum." I sing it so far off key, it hurts most people, but that's how me grampa used to sing it to me. As to musical taste, I like anything but serious country (Hank, Billy Ray, Garth, etc.). Dependin' on me mood, I like Mozart and Bethoven, Mettalica and Megadeth, The Sex Pistols and Siouxie and the Banshees, The Doors and Jimi Hendrix, and of course, The Beatles!

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

Trapper, where be I goin'te find out more bout'this shanty singin'? I live in Kingston (Wa!) and would love to hear some songs of the sea!

Here be the website for the seaport. http://www.nwseaport.org

Be pointin' yer mouse t'wards music and then sea chanties for the exact locations and tymes. If'n ye wants t' be on the mailin' list, or fer more info, email seaport@oz.net. We always have a grand tyme, and it's an opportunity t' hear a lot o' different songs, as well as buy em in the gift shop, if there be some ye can't live wit'out. We'll be gearin' up for another Wawona benefit soon, as well, and I'll be keepin' the list updated as to the particulars.

If'n ye do come t' the next sing, I'll be there. I'll be the one wearin' the ridin' boots 'n' spurs.

Fair winds,

Trapper

Captain of the Tinker's Damn

Couple a quick thoughts here...

1 Metallica..... THE BLACK ALBUM

2 What mates no love for motor head

3 As a fan of serious (or if you perfer traditonal country) please never ever include Billy Ray in that list!!!!!

4 Am I the only person who likes smile empty soul?

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Many years ago; I took piano lessons and centered my studies on Classical and Baroque pieces/composers. During Jr. High & first half of high school - played tenor trombone, taught myself E flat sax, played alto, soprano and sopronino recorders. Played in multiple ensembles and played recorder for the elementary choir. Took voice lessons and a few lessons in opera singing.

Within the past two years, I've taught myself the rudimentary basics of bodhran playing but still have a long way to go before my sixteenths sounds right. Have played around with friends djembe and akshibo drums but nothing very serious.

Still sing, both ren faire and karaoke (sp?) just lost the descant soprano and 1st soprano ranges due to my nasty smoking habit. Still have the 2nd soprano and lower range and still love to sing (retaught myself breathing techniques to allow for diminshed breath, go figure).

My twain bits

Cap'n Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

Can't read a lick o' music, but been playin' me 12 string guitar since 1970. Unfornuately, me fingers be a bit short, so's I can't play a lot o' stuff and have ta improvise quite a bit. Me voice use ta be real good back then too, but age and vices have changed that.

RumbaRue

**Lead me not to temptation for I can find it myself** :)

• 2 months later...
as of now, i live through my hubby who played bass in a band called "godhead". they were one of the first bands to be signed under marilyn manson. i'd be surprised if any of ya'll have ever heard of them.

:rolleyes: I heard of 'em! Hells, I got a sticker with the logo! Yer now officially the Sweetness. :lol:

As for me an' music, I been around it my entire life. Bein' born an' raised in Music City will do it to ye. Me da played guitar with Eddie Raven before he went nuts, and then guitar with Mike Albert, the Elvis impersinator before goin' freelance.

Godfather is in music too. Gah, I love gloatin' about him. Records on the walls o' his office, talkin' about 'is new deals with celebrities. Never in my crowd, though. Country and pop ain't my scene. Ye can't mosh to Achey-Breakey. Not angry enough. Anyway. He's written what's arguably the most popular modern mainstream love song to date, "I Swear", y'know, by the moon and the stars in the sky?

Enough abou' me whack-job family, tho! Les get to me!

I started playin' the piano at 10, kinda hated it, cause I'd already taught myself how ter play by ear and it was 'wrong'. Picked up the oboe at 12 through school, still playin' on that thing *sports 'I (heart) MY OBOE' pin*. I learned sax in about two hours, clarinet in 30 mins, ocarina, was playing complex tunes on a pennywhistle in less than a day, same with Native American flute. I'm in the process of becoming....decent at the mandolin. (....I'm only a tiny bit obsessed with music....did I mention I memorize Broadway, movie and show scores in my spare time?) I suck at stringed instruments because I learned how to play the guitar McCartney style and that was 'wrong'. *fumes*

I sing too. When I don' mean to, sometimes. I randomly burst into song. If someone says somethin that reminds me of a song lyric, I HAVE te sing the bloody song. Otherwise....I dunno, I'll explode or somethin'. But I'm told I'm rather good. I almost got to Carnegie Hall once with it, so it can't be bad, right?

"Oh, never, never, never again,

If I live to be a hundred or a hundred and ten.

I fell to the ground and I couldn't get up

After drinking a pint of the Johnny Jump Up."

~"Johnny Jump Up" -Gaelic Storm

"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

-Sigmund Freud (on the Irish)

I like to beat on things so I play the Dumbec or Bohran.

Woah.....Perkeo, I be thinkin ye was gonna say somethin' else!

Now that we be talkin' bout DRUMS, I agree... Beatin' on things be the best feelin' in the world!

I started playin' me drums when I was but a wee ladd. Was bout 10 me thinks.

Arrr yes.....The sweet sounds of a drum. Makes me belly feel all warrrrm and fuzzy. Hmmmm, could be the rum too.

Anyhow....This be me and me drums during a sensual moment!

space_drumming_2.jpg

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin' over yer ship...

Don't permit me aboard and I'll still take over yer ship"