Lady Washington

Bart LeBaron

Ahoy, my bullies! My apologies, I was gone on a two-day cruise on the Lady Washington, which (if you don't already know) played the Interceptor in POTC 1. If ye be lookin' fer a true piratical experience, look into bookin' a passage or "battle sail". Out of all the tall ship's I've seen, she is by far the most beautiful.

The cruise was a lot of fun. When my friend and I mentioned that we were Sea Scouts, the steward immediately press-ganged us into the crew. We set sail from Antioch, in the delta, and cruised west through San Pablo Bay to Tiberon Penninsula, where we anchored for the night. I was lucky enough to get put on the midnight watch, which meant I had to get up at one in the morning to go out on deck to check the anchor and our position on the chart. I got to go down into the bilges of the ship to check the engine shaft and bilge pumps. It was awesome!

At two o'clock I got to go back to sleep, but I was woken again at 4 in the morning to help weigh anchor. I will never under-appreciate an electric windlass again! My friend and I were given two heavy wood spikes to operate the windlass, which was backbreaking work. Even though it was freezing outside, we had shed out coats, hats, and gloves by the time we were done! Then we cleaned the anchor, coiled the rode, faked the chains, and we were done.

We cruised south, through the bay, and out under the golden gate! Then the ride began. I am proud to say that neither my friend or I got seasick once. The ship started bucking and rolling and rocking and spinning. It was a blast! We sailed out of sight of land for several hours, surrounded by fog. It was dead quiet, save for the singing crew and engine. We didn't get into port at Half-moon Bay until two in the afternoon, and we were tired, but it was totally worth it!

Once I get my pictures downloaded, I'll be sure to post them. In the meantime, look into this awesome pyratical experience!

"But why is the rum gone!?"--Captain Jack Sparrow

I've been on the Lady Washington three times — battle sail, adventure sail, and my favorite, the sunset sail. This while the ship was at Coos Bay. I loved coming into the dock after dark, with all the city lights sparkling on the water. Never been on an over-nighter though.

I have to say though, that many of the crew, including her quartermaster at the time, told us the Lady is a notorious puke machine, and that even guys/girls who had sailed on other tall ships with no problem, got sick on her. So, count yourself one of the lucky few who didn't!

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• 11 months later...