Secret Gift Exchange 2008

Duchess

I'm hosting a secret gift exchange this year. Those of you who've been around know we've done this for the last several years with a reasonable amount of success and a few of us/you were looking forward to it again this year.

So here's how its going to work:

Who is eligible:

In the past we've limited the enrollment to only established members of Pyracy Pub. I'd like to continue that. So the general enrollment in the Gift Exchange will be for members who've been around six months or longer.

I would be willing to run a separate New Member Exchange for people who've joined in the last six months. I feel that this would put those people on equal footing, as both parties would be taking a risk with unknowns. I'll set this up if there's interest.

Regardless of membership status, by signing up you solemnly agree that you will provide some sort of pleasant contact with your designated recipient. If you don't I'll be distinctly displeased with you.

What you'll do:

After the sign up cut off I will PM you the name and address of your Designated Recipient.

Sometime in the near future you will put something in the mail, timed so as to arrive before December 25, for your Designated Recipient.

What you will send:

In the past we've set a dollar amount on what is expected. I'm going to change things up and not do that. Please don't let this lack of specification make you uncomfortable. Also know that you're not buying our friendship, respect or any other sort of attention, so don't bother showing off. We'll just mock you. Things that people have done in the past: Holiday Cards, CD's, dice, a deck of cards, belt pouches, glass pens, etc.... Basically anything goes as long as it is kind and reasonably well intentioned. If this section is really stressing you out PM me, and we'll come up with something or I'll give you quantitaive limits to make you feel better.

How to sign up:

Send me a PM with your name (or something the post office will recognize as a name capable of receiving items) and address. Also if you would like to include a SHORT list of things you are interested in to help your Designated Giver, please feel. This list is by no means a requirement, as I've mentioned else where I think part of the fun in this is the mystery.

I MUST RECIEVE YOUR PM BY NOON CT ON NOVEMBER 27th FOR YOU TO PARTICIPATE!

I will then mix up all the entries (keeping the pre and post six monthers separated) and pair up everyone. I'll then send you a PM by December 1st containing the name of your Designated Recipient.

You will then find, craft, beg, or barter something for them and post it off to the supplied address.

After the gift exchange is complete everyone should purge their PM's of sensitive identifying information (like names and addresses) and I will do the same.

You're free to open your gift whenever you get it and post here in great detail about it. But lets have the exchange complete before we start identifying ourselves as "giver of ...."

If you've any questions please post here or send me a PM.

Thanks,

Duchess.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the heck. I did the last two.

We did something very useful last year which helped a lot with the gift exchange. Each of us gave some general ideas about what we liked. It wasn't as if we answered a questionnaire or wrote a novel or some such thing - just a line or two giving a few ideas.

RHJMap.jpg

I'm in, and so is my husband, Chain Shot. I've PMed you our info.

"Deck the Halls with skulls and crossbones, fa la la la la, la la la la!" :blink:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I'm in.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

I'd be willing to participate...

I am kind of burnt out on running it, so I am glad someone else has stepped up to take the reigns.

Maybe smaller numbers will be a bonus. Last year, we had a few folks that joined the pub in Aug-Sept and were all jazzed to participate, we bent the rules to let them in the Gift Exchange, and we never heard from them again.

Its kind of a bummer to be an old timer here at the pub, get hooked with a noob, and have them drop the ball....

No offense to current new folks, but it is a pattern that has happened the two years we have done the secret santa thing.

We shall see what we shall see...

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Aye,

I am in i should make the cutoff this year for it.

my address is the same as callenish, but will play as well

who do i pm with infomation?

ye ship's potter

Salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Update:

Everyone who has sent me a PM by noon today, November 21, with the required information should now have a pm from me confirming involvement. If your PM didn't include the correct information I've sent you one asking for it. If you sent me a correct PM and I have not replied confirming your involvment, please send me another one.

We have seventeen people signed up so far! I'm not going to make a public list of the participants, but if you want to out yourselves here, please feel free!

Please note that a post here saying you want to participate, ain't gonna do the trick. You must PM the information requested and receive a confirmation from me to be a participant. It isn't my job to track you down and beg you to play. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I've sent out pm's to all the confirmed participants containing the information for your Designated Recipient. I would appreciate a reply to those pm's to let me know that you've received it and are on board for the gifting portion of this exchange.

By the way we ended up with 20 participants!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much to my Secret Santa ~ presents received, and opened! The bauble adorns Jizo, while my nephew is being amazed by the magic growing Sea Chest. The leather coin purse is really quite lovely, and I like the detail on the embroidered muslin bag. Notepad and pen, bumper sticker, mug ~ cute items, all!

Thank you, Santa!

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Mine and Chain Shot's will be going out today.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog