Jeweler's Coffee House

Ransom

Okay...I registered my business name with Etsy today, but have not actually set up my shop yet. Still doing research there. I notice that most of the sellers prefer buyers use Paypal. I have heard conflicting stories about Paypal. Does anyone use it? Is it a pain in the butt, or does it really save you from getting ripped off by bad checks or forged money orders?

This is my first experience with anything like this, so I'm a bit nervous/paranoid about it all. Any comments/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I should also ask this question in Thieves Market, where there are more vendors who might be dealing with Paypal. :P

I just sold a cannon on ebay much to my disgust (20 watchers and 2 bids the first within 15 min of listing) as it sold for less than half its value. I collected money with paypal, this will be the last time as paypal charged me a nice amount. I will leave it as an option to the buyer but they will have to pay the fee next time.

id.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you sell something paypal charges a fee. So I add it in to the price of the item or add a bit more for shipping. As for purchasing and selling with it. No problems.

I may have to think of ETSY myself in the near future

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!

• 1 month later...

The coffeehouse has been a bit quite lately. I just got in some lovely Jamaican rum, which goes perfectly with the "stand a spoon in it" coffee or tea I serve. So, pull up a chair, and let's hear the latest news...events, projects, finds, sales (good or bad), and anything else you feel like sharing. :blink:

Now that I'm recovered from Nor Cal, I'll be setting up my Etsy shop. Got the banner done, but not posted yet, and still need to take some good photos of my work. Etsy crops photos from the center out, so the focus of the photo has to be centered, not at the top, sides, or bottom, which a lot of my current photos are.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I've been working hard for a week and a half now making jewelery to sell at the Pirate Daze (Pirate Daze) event in Sept.

I've been trying all kinds of new ideas that will appeal to all, even the Steampunk crowd.

Sorry, no pictures right now, perhaps later.

My problems with PayPal are: High fees for anything sold, any smart person can act as a 'magazine subscription' which PayPal automatically takes out of your account without any notice of such actions (supposedly it's stated in their 'statement' you have to agree to). I honestly don't feel comfortable with such a thing as it did happen to me more than once.

I would love to do my own website, but when it comes to tech stuff, I'm blond and clueless. :blink:

Woo hooo! Got my Etsy shop up today. Took me HOURS, but I figured it all out in the end. Now that I sorta know the routine of posting items, it should go faster. And, I already have someone who has marked my shop as a favorite! And Rumba, I decided not to use Paypal. I marked that I accept only money orders or checks, and if a check, I hold the shipment until the funds clear the bank.

Here it is...

Found in the Ruins

It's just the kewlest thing. :blink: Now let's hope I can sell something.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Love the store. I love the jewelry nice work. Sipping her rum out of tea cup."Its Jamaican tea"

I have 2 questions: I have to make holes in coins. I got a steel hole punch that does thinner metals. What would you use to drill thicker metal coins. I purchased a lot of foreign coins for 5.00 on EBAY. I was told drill and dremel tool. Any other suggestions that won't kill my wrist.

How easy was it to do the Etsy store any pros and cons we need to know about? Other than the evil paypal.

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!

As for drilling coins, I use a Dremmel tool. Just be sure to wear safety goggles, as little splinters of stuff can fly, since the drill goes so fast.

The Etsy shop was easy-peasy to set up, and I elected to not use PayPal. This may hurt me, since I know a lot of people have PayPal accounts, and you can even use a credit card through them even if you don't have an account. I just didn't want the hassle until I knew whether this jewelry venture was going to fly. Later I may bite the bullet and get a PayPal account, but for now I'm only taking money orders or checks, and if a check, I hold the order until the funds clear the bank. With PayPal I wouldn't have to do that, so again, down the road, I may have to do PayPal if I want to sell more stuff, especially to other countries.

Go to Etsy's home page and click into their info links. They are really good about explaining everything. :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Champagne! This from a beer drinker! LOL

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile since anyone stopped by, so I was wondering how everyone's summer was going. Jewelry-wise, mine is going slow. The Etsy shop is getting lots of hits, and four people have marked it as one of their favorites, but still no sales, even after I bit-the-bullet and signed up for PayPal, to make payment easier. It's only been about a month and a half, but I was hoping a few things would have sold by now. Oh well, I'll keep plugging along at it, and there is the possibility that a friend of mine and I will do some Christmas shows come November.

Anyway, the coffee and tea are still hot, and the tots of rum ready to give them an added zing, if you need one, so drop on in and sit a spell. :blink:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ahoy, all!

I've been working quite a bit lately since I'm getting into my BIG show season. I'm in the middle of Middlefaire (hehehe!) and have sold several pieces but there's no one style that is leading the pack. I've sold lots of earrings and they are all lengths and styles. I've sold several sets (necklaces and earrings) but, once again, nothing that EVERYONE wants. I sold a piece made of gold chain with yellow and green dyed howlite nuggets. Most of the things people are wanting are shorter pieces, not the long stuff that was so popular last year. Also, the big chunky stuff is not as popular among my customers as it was last year.

It's weird . . . of course, all of the pirate/maritime stuff got lots of looks and some purchases but people are not spending as much money as they did even last year on items like jewelry. I don't think the economy is all that bad but people believe it is really bad so they are playing it safe about spending money on "luxury" items.

On a different note, I think I'm going to go back to two different media - polymer clay and bent wire. Both of these make the customer feel like they are getting something that no one else will ever wear. I highly recommend playing with polymer clay!

Dang, gotta run!

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

• 1 month later...

Just wondering how everyone is doing. Has anyone tried working with PMC yet. I'm curious to know how hard/easy it is to play with.

As for me, new things on my Etsy site, with more to come in the next week or so. Mainly earrings, since I don't have hardly any of those, and I can sell them inexpensively.

Currently I am also researching tiaras. I love tiaras — NOT the rodeo queen, Barbie kind — and wish they would come back in style, other than to hold a wedding veil. I'm going to experiment with making wire and beaded hair combs, then if that looks okay, I'll tackle tiaras. Currently pouring over my book Tiaras, Past and Present, by Geoffrey Munn, published by the Victoria & Albert Museum. The pieces are stunning, and true works of art!

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

still looking into that armband..dangit it is calling my name!!!!!

As for Etsy..lots of hits but so far no one has bought anything but we are up to our necks in comissions. Four purses, Two diaper bags and two wall hangings as well as some other stuff. So I guess I cannot complain.

Currently trying to get another few bags/purses up on Etsy as well as our christmas line. just finished my peppermint candy christmas tree skirt which is all hand painted canvas. Working on the stockings to match it as well.

A Pirate Gingerbread Man treeskirt, hand painted canvas with matching christmas stockings and hand painted gingerbread ornaments with candycane peglegs!

And some traditional stuff as well. Even if none of the Etsy stuff sells Im still having fun painting and being creative!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

• 5 months later...

It's been awhile since anyone dropped by. What are you all working on?

I have just started working with wire. I discovered quite quickly that it is a lesson in futzing, tweaking, cussing, and getting up and walking away before you toss it all in the trash. End result of my first attempt is okay. I copied an idea from a beading book, and altered it a little. Let's just say, I'm on a learning curve. :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I've been so involved in the books that I haven't made anything new in months. I need to get back into the jewelry mode, soon, because we are going to start doing shows again. Thanks for the poke in the ribs!

Stick with the wire - whenever I make something with wire and beads it will not stay on my shelves. The very first thing I did was pretty bad but I put it out at the very next show and it was snatched up. There are LOTS of good books out there that give you helping hints. I have some at the house and will try to remember to send you the titles.

Blackbead

Been working on more jewelry to sell at the Escondido Faire.

Sadly, I've discovered the very hard way that I cannot sell my stuff on line or the like under my name.

SSI will take any profit I make out of my monthly payment and I can't afford it. I made that mistake a couple of years ago and when the 'turkeys' took the money out I was upset to say the least.

When I sell at faires, as long as I'm under my friend's name and her re-sale number I'm in the clear.

If anyone here would be willing to take on some of my handiwork and sell it for me, please let me know.

Rumba

I've been so involved in the books that I haven't made anything new in months. I need to get back into the jewelry mode, soon, because we are going to start doing shows again. Thanks for the poke in the ribs!

Stick with the wire - whenever I make something with wire and beads it will not stay on my shelves. The very first thing I did was pretty bad but I put it out at the very next show and it was snatched up. There are LOTS of good books out there that give you helping hints. I have some at the house and will try to remember to send you the titles.

Blackbead

Thanks, Blackbead. I intend to stick with it, as I like the end results. And I am starting out with simple things, just to get the feel of working with wire. Best tool investment= Nylon-jawed pliers. They make straightening bent wire super easy, and will flatten shaped pieces so they lay correctly.

And Rumba, so far I am only selling my things on-line. It's slow going, I admit. I'm thinking of holding a few home jewelry shows at my house, with maybe snacks and tea/coffee, where I can hand out cards and women can actually try on the pieces. You can invite people you think would actually be interested. I've read that many jewelry artists do that, and it's pretty successful. We'll see. :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Ransom,

I had some success with doing home parties in friends' houses. I gave the hostess a small percentage (15%) of the PROFITS and a hostess gift. I never made as much as when I do one of the shows like Rumba is suggesting but sometimes you find people who want to come back and buy again and again.

Blackbead

• 3 months later...

Wow, it's been awhile since anyone stopped by. What are you all doing over the summer? New ideas, designs, materials? As for me, I'm still plugging away fiddling with wire, along with my beaded pieces. It's been fun, and as I get better at working the wire, I get braver and more inventive. LOL Oh, and we have added a heat pump to our house, which also does A/C, which makes working much more pleasant, instead of having sweat running down your back and the pliers slipping.

Currently trying to get enough stock made up to have a holiday jewelry show sometime in October.

I've had a few more sales from the Esty site, and I've added new pieces just this week. Decided I really need to make some kind of light box, so I can take better photos, and be more consistent with the backgrounds. I've been using sections of slate, which work well for some pieces, but not so well with others.

Anyway, stop on by, sit a spell, and I'll serve up iced tea, since the weather seems to be pretty hot no matter where you hang your jeweler's hat. :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Ahoy, Ransom! Ahoy to all in the house!

Well, I have been taking some time off because there's too much OTHER stuff to do! Now, with the season about to start again, I've been dabbling with chain and pendants (for something quick), trying to get my hand used to wire again (for something that sells quick!), trying to get back into practice with polymer clay, and coming up with The Booty Bracelet! I've opened a Funky Finds shop (see it here) and am keeping it full up with new stuff all the time! I vended at The Texas Pirate Festival (and will be there again this year!) and Billy Bowlegs (and will never go back again) and am now getting ready for the Granbury Pirate Invasion, Middlefaire, the Pirate Days of Texas, the Magical, Medieval Fantasy Faire in November, and several book signings, two at the Texas Renaissance Festival.

The Booty Bracelet is like a pirate charm bracelet except each link is a stone or bead from a prize taken. When I send you the bracelet, you also get a "history" of each bead! Or, and this is what I really expect from my imaginative pirate friends, you make up your own! Imagine the tales you can tell as you sit around the campfire, counting your beads!

I was re-inspired when me lovely wife and I found a GREAT new shop in Fort Worth that sells fantastic beads at VERY low prices! I can actually compete with some of the big box stores now! I got magnesite skulls for really cheap, some great red coral nuggets for the best price I've ever paid, and the metal findings are phenomenal! We've also been doing a lot of "garage sailing" and I've been buying some great raw material and meeting some new friends that way!

Check out me store and let me know what ye think, Ransom! How are you doing on Etsy?

Blackbead

Cost is why I like recycling broken bits of stuff, or finding costume jewelry at garage sales and redoing it into something new. And, now that people know what I do, they find things for me and send them my way. I do buy findings an the like, and crystals, but I try to wait until Michael's has a sale, or a coupon I can use before I go.

My Etsy site is still in the growing stage, but I am selling things. The last item I put up on the site sold within an hour to a lady in Hawaii. That was kinda kewl. I made some nice business cards, so handing them out will help direct people to the site as well. I also realized I needed to lower some of my prices, which I did. And, I updated the shop description/introduction, because I had drifted away from vintage-looking things to more contemporary. I still do pieces with a vintage feel, but when I started working with wire, the vibe changed. I do intend to keep my pieces one-of-a-kind. I have to, considering how I get most of my material, and for me, that's also a selling feature. :P

Bottom line, I'm having fun, and am currently getting stock together in order to have a Holiday jewelry party some time in October, and see how that goes, since there are no events even close to our area.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

EXCELLENT! Congratulations on the sale, each and every one! I love coming home and finding those emails telling me that I HAVE to go out and put something in the mail! This is one of the reasons why I want my wife to quit her job, so she can do that full time. I am NOT getting those emails every day, however, so she can't quit just now!

I may get over to Etsy and see about opening up a shop there, too. It's like having a chain of stores - the more retail outlets you can have the better! You ought to take a look at FUnky Finds. Right now, they're running a special - pay for one month and you get five free!

Dang, gotta run! More to come!

BB

• 9 months later...

Woa, it's been a long time since anyone dropped by. How are you all doing? What projects/plans do you have in the works?

Me, I just finished a commissioned necklace, and recently sold another. Gotta confess though, it's been slow. Not many sales from the Etsy site lately. I've had better luck with word-of-mouth.

So, sit a spell. The tea and coffee are hot, the orange/currant scones are warm, and the chairs comfy. :D

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

WOOHOO!! DOING HAPPY DANCE...

Got some of my jewelry in a consignment shop downtown (major tourist attraction) and I got my first check in the mail from pieces that sold the first week it was there!

now if I can figure out how to post pics here I could show you all some of my work.

Edited by Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...