Jeweler's Coffee House

Ransom

Rumba,

I'll have to wait till I get home to see them but have you thought about putting up an Etsy page? I've got to get back on the web and I think that's how I'm going to do it. I'll keep my home website and just put a hotlink to my Etsy page. GO take a look at Etsy.com and tell me what you think?

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my business cards...but, they put the wrong phone number on them... PFTTT. anywho, suppose to get the right ones soon.

I will soon have a digital camera so hope to get pictures of my work up soon.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Great stuff, Rumba. :angry:

Is it hard to set up an Etsy site? I've thought about that as well, and have gone there, but there is sooo much stuff posted, I wondered if my work would just get lost among all the other jewelry makers. It would be nice to have a link to an Etsy site in my signature on the few forums I post in, and maybe on a business card, when I finally make one.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I took a look at the Etsy site and was not impressed.

First and foremost, they only deal with check, money order or Pay Pal.

I will not use Pay Pal anymore.....there are too many obvious problems that I have brought to light not too long ago (and informed Pay Pal about).....i.e. billing you and then telling you about it later.....sorry, I want to know who is taking money out of my account before I allow it as I may not have the money.

I don't want anyone to have access to my money accounts...I don't even use direct deposite or any kind of bill pay either.....

If a person can't use a regular credit card for purchases, I'm not interested.

I wonder why no one has come up with a website to sell handmade goods that alows you to pick what modes of payment you wish to take? Hmmm, perhaps I need to look into that. Maybe a Renaissance faire on the web . . . with merchant having storefronts. Now, there's an idea!

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Sounds good to me!

I quit buying stuff from Ebay, unless the seller will let you pay by money order. I HATE Paypal, and refuse to use it.

At this stage of my venture, I could only accept money orders or checks as payment, and I'm even leery of checks, as I've been stiffed before with ones that bounced. Wish you could demand cash only, but that doesn't work through the mail. Dang it.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Another thing that really, really bothered me at Etsy, was especially in the jewelery section.

Showing items from different people (some horribly way overpriced!!!!) in a mixed up fashion and then repeating the same items for at least two to three pages worth before seeing something different.

I would have preferred the name of the 'store' and be able to click on them and see what they offer.

When taking credit card purchases, you can check first to make sure the card is good before handing over products via a phone call to the credit place - providing you take credit cards when purchasing things. Companies on the Internet will check first before mailing out any products to you. You can't do that with Pay Pay.

*Note: My sales partner Dawn, has a Credit card thingy she uses at events....however it costs her to have it and use it and when someone buys something of mine and wants to pay with a credit card, she'll run it through and then charge me a small pittance out of my sale for the cost of using the machine. I have no problem with that.

I've only been burned once with a check and that was years and years ago. Now when I take a check, I get their Driver's License number and other pertinet info, providing I'm selling something in person. Over the Internet, you just have to take your chances with checks. Most people I sell to privately will pay me with a check and I've had no problems....probably because I've gotten to know the person a bit.

Of course nothing is fool proof to a talented fool.

Rumba

For those interested in purchasing display items for displaying your works like busts, earring holders and such, you can purchase items at:

Fet Pak

I've bought a number of things from them, just ordered two white leatherette busts for necklaces that will show up on white instead of black velvet.

How to handle payments is always a personal choice. However, the fewer options you offer, the more doors you close to sales, until you limit your potential to draw new customers.

We've used PayPal for years for piratephernalia.com and have never had any problems. For the few festivals we do we have a wireless terminal for credit card payments. The small monthly fee is easily offset by the fact that customers will tend to spend 50% more with a credit card than they will with cash.

Again, we try not to close a single door to any customer, even if it costs us a bit on the sales side.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Thanks for the link, Rumba!

As for pricing, and methods of payment, at the stage I'm at, I can't really justify paying for a credit card machine, although I wouldn't mind that once I got a better idea of how things are going to go. I'm just trying to get enough stock together to make hitting my first art fair worth while. I'll also have to spend money on a booth cover (this fair won't let you just throw up a market umbrella), displays, and possibly a new table to put stuff on (my old card tables are pretty ratty). Not to mention the $100 dollar space fee. So as you can see, I'm pretty strapped for the shiny right now, with only having sold one $20 bracelet to a fellow Pubbie. :rolleyes:

I am taking Blackbead's advice, and will schedule many earring/bracelet making days! I can sell those for between $5 and $10 dollars.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
100_3037.jpg

I posted a picture of this necklace a page back, but here is what it looks like on. This is a photo I just posted in the Airship Pyrate thread, as part of my bombadier costume.

100_3072.jpg

Gosh, isn't it fun...there are just so many ways to play! :rolleyes:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

;) Hey, where is everybody? The hot-buttered rum is getting cold!

I've been working in Photoshop, trying to design a business card. Gahh. I fumble around, because I don't really know how most of that stuff works. Also, I dropped the name Gryffin Jewelwerks, because A} there are too many other businesses using the word Gryffin, in one form or another, and B} it didn't really describe the kind of jewelry I make. I want something with a bit of mystery, so...still thinking and tossing ideas around.

Also, I'm still toying around with the idea of joining Etsy. Seems a good place to be able to show/sell individual pieces, and it doesn't cost too much. Don't know how much business it would attract if you were stuck on page 956, though. :D

Anyway, what's going on with the rest of you?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

've been working in Photoshop, trying to design a business card. Gahh. I fumble around, because I don't really know how most of that stuff works.

Hey... Photoshop has a nasty learning curve..... (I took a class fer it, but the teacher didn't know much more than we did... but it was fun exploring it....)

Photo manipulation? ... what are you trying to do?.....

I scanned a photo of a ruined stone gate in Ireland, then changed the contrast so it wasn't so dark (the photo is in B&W), because I'm going to print it over the top of another, faded brocade design. But there was a section at the bottom of the picture where I wanted to erase a road so the lettering would show up better, but it kept telling me I needed to simplify the text in order to do that. I didn't hit okay, because I don't know what happens when you simplify the text. And it doesn't mean any wording you have on the card, because I took all that off, thinking that was what was wanted. Still got the same message. Also got that same message when I tried to use the small paintbrush.

I really want to take a class in Photoshop, because what I know is about the equivalent of dipping my little toe in the ocean, but it's hard when the classes are offered at night, and I live twelve miles out of town. Driving home late at night, and possibly in the rain or snow, is not for me, thanks.

But I blunder on, learning a little bit each time I try.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Some basics for you:

First, if you're ever going to print it for real (i.e., with a printer, not on your printer) all photos need to be 300 dpi.

Second, you want to use the cloning tool to duplicate the area around the road so that it covers it over with a similar look of the area you want to keep. That's the easiest way to do that.

The text, I believe, will want to Simplify if you're working in grayscale. Your file should be in CMYK, not RGB or grayscale. This should keep it from wanting to simplify what you're trying to do. Your work should be in full color if you're just starting out. Much easier to work with than doing any trickier stuff with duotones, RGB conversions of trying to get a grayscale file to print out correctly (i.e., accurately) on a printer.

Hope this helps...

-- Hurricane

I scanned a photo of a ruined stone gate in Ireland, then changed the contrast so it wasn't so dark (the photo is in B&W), because I'm going to print it over the top of another, faded brocade design. But there was a section at the bottom of the picture where I wanted to erase a road so the lettering would show up better, but it kept telling me I needed to simplify the text in order to do that. I didn't hit okay, because I don't know what happens when you simplify the text. And it doesn't mean any wording you have on the card, because I took all that off, thinking that was what was wanted. Still got the same message. Also got that same message when I tried to use the small paintbrush.

I really want to take a class in Photoshop, because what I know is about the equivalent of dipping my little toe in the ocean, but it's hard when the classes are offered at night, and I live twelve miles out of town. Driving home late at night, and possibly in the rain or snow, is not for me, thanks.

But I blunder on, learning a little bit each time I try.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Thanks, Hurricane. I also think I'm going to get that book Photo Shop for Dummies, to learn some basics. I think I can get a used copy pretty cheap.

And Syren, no, I haven't tried the friendly plastic.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

In The Way to My Heart

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=1438...mp;#entry346057

Syren posted a picture of an armband.... we're trying to figure out what could be used to replicate it (OK gold would be nice....but.... :( )

I've worked with Sculpie and Epoxy Putty, but both of those are too brittle for an armband... Friendly plastic sounds like it could work, but I've never played with it, so we figured maybe someone that's worked with jewelry might have.... or might have a suggestion of something that may work....

• 1 month later...

Spent an exhaustive afternoon trying to make a banner for my Esty account. You will remember my issues with PhotoShop trying to make business cards? I finally got that resolved by having a friend come over and help me, and give me a quick tutorial on the program. Still pretty much blundering around, though.

I want to have a banner, profile, and photos ready before I open the account. Etsy (www.etsy.com) seems a pretty good way to dip my toe into the waters of internet sales, as I have NO desire to mess with Ebay. It also appears to be cheaper. Then I can post a link to my Etsy store in my Pub signature, and on the other forums I play in.

How are all the rest of you doing? The coffee house has been awfully quite lately. :rolleyes:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I be currently closing on a new condo and I have to be moving end of month. pouring some tea

So I feel like I'm living in the cargo hold with all them boxes in my apt, me garb and beads all safe until new place.

this is the first time i can catch up on all the boards and stuff I'm on.

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!

• 4 weeks later...

I never really have been one for jewelry making but there comes a time when an option presents itself. . .

Several years ago a friend of mine got a beautiful piece/necklace recovered from a wreck. The chain is a woven gold with a combination toothpick ear wax remover hung from it. Another friend of mine is a retired dentist and apparently has some nice wax and a beautiful centrifugal machine. I found a silver chain in Thailand that is woven very similar to the original gold chain. Only it has 2 cast dragons that come together (this is an ancient style not something modern) with the traditional bent u-clip. My thoughts have been along with his and to cast a reproduction of his original piece and then I would hang it from my chain.

Finished it would be a reproduction of an original piece of jewlery from the correct era (the ship sank in 1622)

id.jpg

Okay...I registered my business name with Etsy today, but have not actually set up my shop yet. Still doing research there. I notice that most of the sellers prefer buyers use Paypal. I have heard conflicting stories about Paypal. Does anyone use it? Is it a pain in the butt, or does it really save you from getting ripped off by bad checks or forged money orders?

This is my first experience with anything like this, so I'm a bit nervous/paranoid about it all. Any comments/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I should also ask this question in Thieves Market, where there are more vendors who might be dealing with Paypal. :P

RAKEHELL-1.jpg