Jeweler's Coffee House

Ransom

Does this here Coffee House also serve to those who make gee-gaws from beads and the like? If ye want to see some of me work, check out www.Blackbead-jewelry.com. If I meet your requirements, make mine black . . . with a shot of rum to clear out the cobewebs, if'n ye please!

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, this coffee house is a very friendly place. I be not much more than a trinket-maker myself. But it's nice to sit back and talk jewelry with others, and sip some nice coffee or tea at the same time.

So, Blackbead, here you go, black as ordered, and with a tot of rum. Make yourself comfortable.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Ahhhhhh! Go'bless ye, ma'am! On such a day as this (34 degrees with 25 mile per hour winds) this be mighty fine! I'm gettin' ready for a show this Friday at me lovely wife's workplace and me hands are bleedin' from all the earrings I been makin'! Tonight, I get to rest and try and set up the new wireless modem so's I can get back to taking images of me work and puttin' them up on the "shelves" for all to see! I just finished a piece using blue flourite, dyed (silver grey)pearls and Bali silver. Now all I got to do is find some head pins that are strong enough to hold 'em and thin enough to go through the holes! For the earrings, don't ye know! The missus is always sayin' I got to have earrings with every piece I make!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh . . .

DANG BLAST IT!!! x(&^&^%%$$#

I twas ream'n a pearl, mak'n the hole bigger, the reamer caught got stuck I pushed...hard and :ph34r: the dang thing went into m'finger. Bled a bit, thought all was well, and well even after a couple of days gone by my finger is still tender to the touch and feels as if there may be a piece of pearl inside of it. :blink: grumble grumble.

What we don't go through for our art. Now I may have to decide if it is bothersome enough to have the finger opened and see what is in there. UGH!

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Hmmm, many things from the sea can be nasty to the human body. I'm a doctor but not that kind of doctor; I would suggest ye query someone with some knowledge in that direction. Usually the body will spit out anything that don't belong, though. Sorry I am to hear of your misfortune!

The last time I be trying to ream out a pearl, it broke all to pieces in my hand! They can be tricky things these components!

Ow! That sounds awful! I was reaming pearls earlier this summer, but I am a lazy git, so I prefer to use dremel bits ~ works lovely, much less strain, though you need to watch for overheating.

If I may, back to the subject of PMC ~ I have the skill to craft what I want (my merchants seal), but am not sure I want to go tothe expense of purchasing a kiln. ANy thoughts or suggestions on firing options?

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

small pieces can be fired with a small butane torch. You just have to be mindful of the amount of heat being applied for x amount of time. AND you can only do one piece at a time with the torch. Larger pieces or multiple pieces need to be done via kiln.

Edited by Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

Ow! That sounds awful! I was reaming pearls earlier this summer, but I am a lazy git, so I prefer to use dremel bits ~ works lovely, much less strain, though you need to watch for overheating.

If I may, back to the subject of PMC ~ I have the skill to craft what I want (my merchants seal), but am not sure I want to go tothe expense of purchasing a kiln. ANy thoughts or suggestions on firing options?

You could also use MAPP gas, which you can find in the usual propane outlets (Home Depot, etc.), which burns hotter than propane. From what I have read small pieces such as rings (or ring-sized seal) can be fired with a torch.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I just got off the phone with the Small Business Rep from the bank, am checking into ways of taking payments. Yep I know I need to the ability to take credit cards. Just need to decide which way to go on it. My head is spinning from the options available.

This past weekend, I have been working on a sculpture. Prototype as the business emblem. Been great fun getting my hands into clay again. It is coming out pretty good, especially since I really haven't done much in clay for a very long time. Love working in the medium.

Someone said that they will loan me a digital camera so I can get some pics up. Once I do that I will be off and running. [taking a deep breath...ok...need to relax]

Have my name picked out, have my PO Box readied, my business account set up, my business phone set up, and my business email up and running. Waiting on my vendors license and my papers for name being registered. Have some stock readied, more on the way of being done.

Ok, any one have any suggestions? Any and all welcomed....

OH, ummm BTW for those of you at PIP who happened to have been at the auction...if'n ya had seen the "Soladite and freshwater mabe/blister pearl necklace in the tiny treasure chest" ....that was my contribution to auction. :angry:

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

As a six year veteran of the business, I only have one suggestion: Charge all ye can; ALL SALES ARE FINAL!

Seriously, sounds like you are ready. I'm still trying to turn the bend, so to speak. It's a sideline for us but one we want to retire into. I did pretty well last year but not something that we could live off of unless we wanted to live in a van, down by the river. The goal is to set up a shop somewhere at some point but keep doing shows and try to get a larger internet presence.

Stay the course! And best of luck to ye!

Blackbead

The internet was kinda the way I was thinking of going, as the shows up here would be few and far between. What has been the response to your site, Blackbead? Or have you set it up yet?

Best of luck to you, Lady Seahawk. Sounds like a lot of complicated hoops you have to jump through to reach your goal, but I'm sure you'll do fine. :(

Anyone know a good source for metal skull beads? Last year at Pt. Washington, Cheeky's sister make all of us tokens, using really nice silver skulls. I don't think they were real silver, but they looked it. Forgot to ask her where she got them. Also, maybe some that look like bone? Any sources?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Ahhh, Ransom, the response to my site has been suckee! If you don't count books or toys or flintlocks, the only thing I ever sold over the web was ONE bracelet! I don't know if I just didn't get it out there for people to see or my stuff sucks or if people just want to touch, fondle, and try on jewelry before they buy it. I do so much better at faires and art shows that I have actually taken down my commercial site. One of my goals in the coming year is to revamp the site and start creating a better internet presence. I'm going to start writing a blog, as well, and see about getting some of this affiliate dough!

My luck with skulls has been catch as catch can. I'll just use the internet if I HAVE to have something now. I have some heavy, brass skulls which are very nice but they are more for pistol tags and that sort of thing.

More to come!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Blackbead

Ransom,

Here, try firemoountain link below

http://www.firemountaingems.com/search.asp?skw=skull

that gives a selection of skulls/crossbones in bone, pewter, sterling silver, etc.

Your purchase comes cheaper when you buy in bulk.

Hope that helps.

Cass

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

WOOHOO, found host where I can get my domain name for a reasonable price.

Ok, time to breathe.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

You know, Lady Seahawk, the last time I checked with Fire Mountain (they are based in Grants Pass, where I live. I drive by their HUGE warehouse whenever I go grocery shopping), their selection wasn't all that great in skull beads. I guess someone clued them in about all us pirates! LOL I don't use a lot of them, since that's not really the kind of stuff I do, but occasionally I like to throw one in, especially on something for a guy, and I just hadn't found any that I really liked.

Kewl about your domain name! :blink:

And Blackbead, sorry that your web site isn't doing as well as you would like. As for blogs, my space, or a web page, I am totally clueless how you set those up. I'll have to read the "Blogging for Dummies" when I'm ready. :D

Oh, and since it seems to be cold everywhere, instead of coffee, today we are serving hot buttered rum! :D

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Oh, Go' BLESS ye, mate!! Quick, let me get me ration 'cause I hear that the temp here is going up to almost 60 before the day is out and then we'll be back in the 20's by Saturday! Ah, the weather in Texas! God help those with a stiff spine and a lousy attitude!

Blackbead

Aye yahoo.com will let ye host a site fer about 10 dollars a year.

the PMC is nice but practice with it for sizing of pir=eces before going all out with it on an important project. i have a book that i picked up at a clay conference and will post the title asap.

fer meself i would like to get back into cutting stone and castings.....thinking about taking a jewelry class again.

on starting a business, do as you can and search out what people will purchase.....no matter how much you like your work if the public will not buy it there is no point.

Salty picks up her mug and her sketch pad

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

One thing I recently found out in checking what licenses and such I would need to have, at least here in OH anyway, if'n ye use previously owned jewelry (especially if you state any have bits of precious metals and/or semi-precious stones) in yer creations there are additional hoops you have to jump. You have to have a special license in order to sell them even via internet. Because you have to show you can attest you have the equipment and such to attest to the authencity of the pieces used, able to state exactly what and how much is in or not in them etc.

So, if you do do this best be sure to check your local statues, cause you never know when someone may turn and say what you said tain't exactly correct.

If'n ye use only newly bought you don't have the same restrictions.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

Hummmm, interesting. Most of the stuff I use is vintage or collectable, augmented with modern beads, findings, old keys....whatever. Since I get the old stuff from junk/antique stores, garage sales, or on E-bay, I have no idea what they are made of, except to know that it's not real gold or silver, and the stones are faux rubies, diamonds, etc. I rarely pay over $5 for a baggy full of bits and pieces. I wonder if you could post a disclaimer? Sorta like saying your are buying something "as is?"

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Hmmm, we have nothing like that in Texas (surprise, surprise) but I'm actually thinking of using a new marketing scheme on those pieces that include vintage beads - I'm going "green." I'm still trying to decide what to call them but those pieces will have a special tag on them. Whadya think?

Here is an interesting site, with lots of info and supplies.

Rings and Things

Oh, and Blackbead, I have heard of other beaders using the "green" as a selling advantage, as well as the "recycling" or "renewed" angle. I had thought of using the recycled angle in my own work, and may still do so. I think all are a great idea, with relevance to the environment and getting away from the "use it and toss it" mentality.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

A cup of tea would be just dandy,I'm new here in this port. My names Eris Blackrose

I make and sell jewelry as a side thing.My mundane life I sell traveling trunks(luggage). In CT you need a tax ID from the state, separate bank account,I have a P.O.Box I use my cell as my business phone. I will post pics of my work. I also keep an album of my designs to show potential clients. Them pocket digital photo thingys are great for that. My clientele is usually Sci-fi conventions,gothic,bellydancers and I do some historical stuff. I never do trendy or mainstream.

I like firemountain but I am closed to NYC so I just shop there, but a couple cources I'd share I love bling so www.gspncrystal.com for trimmins and embellish your garb. www.mjtrimming.com (a bit pricey but the website doesn't have half whats in the store) and www.metalliferous.com for tools and what not.

I just got to find more time to make stuff and a mini catalog of designs what I do.

Finishes her tea.

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!