Jeweler's Coffee House

Ransom

Many members of the Pub also make some kind of jewelry. Whether to sell or just for fun. I thought a place where we could trade tips, share works in progress, ask for help, or just hang around and talk jewelry would be nice. Posting pictures, either of your work, your workplace, or of what inspires you, is highly recommended! :(

THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO SELL YOUR WARES!

So, sit back, sip your coffee, and lets share our lust...er, love...of jewelry.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drums fingers on the table, listening to the sound echo, as so far the coffee house remains empty....

Hummmm, do they all think their ideas are going to get pinched by someone else?

Don't they like the coffee served? Maybe we should switch to rum?

Can't believe no one wants to brag a bit about their creations, or talk about their frustrations.

Okay, I'll start, if you're all going to be so shy.

Spent a VERY frustrating day getting outbid on Ebay for bits and pieces of watch parts I was trying to get. Someone wanted them WAY more than me, and shot the price up. Next time I'll look for a "Buy it Now" notice. ;)

Anyone else...come on, I know you're out there. Somewhere..... ;)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Rum... didju' say rum.... ;)

OK... well truthfully, I haven't made any jewelry since High School (well that I can remember...).... lost wax, lapidary and silver soldiering

Being a guy-type, I don't wear much a' th' stuff.... But th' cool part of it is.... a lota what I learned, I can use for other projects..... (that's why I can't remember.... I might have made something for something else that could be considered jewelry.....Just can't think of it offa th' top a' me head right now...)

(popping in, a bit flustered)

Oi! Not a full-blown jeweler, but I have been known to piece together a thing or two. Any chance you've seen 27mm cabochons, preferably faceted? Having a devil of a time locating one...

Have you tried here? http://www.greatcabochons.com

Or here? http://www.firemountaingems.com/faceted-gems.asp?navsrc=2

If Fire Mountain doesn't have it, chances are no one does.

-- Hurricane

Journeyman Designer for Diosa

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Hurricane beat me to it with Fire Mountain, but you might also try...

Lima Beads

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I do jewelry and after hearing from everyone that I should sell m'items, I am setting up shop.

I am in the process of getting my PO Box, registering m'business name, getting the dang business license, and looking into getting the name trademarked.

The dang paperwork is a killer. But, if'n I am going to do this I am going to do it right.

Especially since I love the natural semi-precious stones.

As far as looking for gems, check into the "International Gem and Jewelry" shows. They are around the country at different times of the year. You can find really fine and high quality items at the shows.

You can fine faceted stones precious and semi-precious pendants and beads galour, chains by the foot, as well as any type of findings you need. Just be sure not to spend everything at the first table. Most often you find the better prices on the retail floor the further you are from the door.

If'n ye have a license you can get back into the wholesaler area. HOWEVER, check the prices in the WH area and compare to the retail. Sometimes you can fine more at better price on the retail floor then the WH.

Also, if ye are really into setting up shop make sure you get business cards from the dealers, because once you get a descent business relationship going you can sometimes get a nudge on items they will be putting on discount.

If'n nothing else by going into the WH you get on the mailing list and they send you a mag with supplier advertisments in it. Lots of good information there.

Also, if you are serious about trying to make some $$$ be sure to check into all the business organizations, especially if you are woman. (hey guys you have had the o'boy network it is now time us chickadees do the same).

Edited by Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

If you trying to set up shop, be aware of the laws you need to cover. I know that the state of OH is becoming much more aware of the sellers and buyers in this state. In fact they recently sent a number of sales tax bills to buyers inside this state for goods bought via internet/out of state.

Many of the other states are checking into things also because of the lost tax revenue thru the internet.

I know now that if we sell things on a constant basis even if it stickly via internet. we have to have a license etc.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

Has anyone here had any experience with "Art Clay," a mixture of silver or gold in a clay-like matrix? Sculpt what you want and fire it and the "clay" burns off, the piece shrinks about 8-10% and the remainder is 99.9% fine silver (or gold) and can be worked as any other piece of jewelry as it is silver.

I want to make a ring out of my flag but have found having it done far to expensive. This may be another way to go about it, but I would like to find out a bit more before I fork over the money for this stuff.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Lady Cassandra ~ Thank you. I have been to the shows, but my jewelry making is truly a side, side, side hobby (next to gardening, design, woodworking, sewing, leatherwork, etcetera.). This one piece is just irritating me ~ a lovely setting, with an impossible size. I was my own boss for a while ~ but I hate that level of paperwork, and was really tired of design for hire.

Captain Jim ~ I have seen the precious metal clay, and was instantly struck by the genius of it. I would love the opportunity to work with it ~ when I can afford the outlay!

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Oh, wonderful, the place is filling up a bit, and we have some nice conversation going. I'll just nip out and start more coffee, and maybe order a plate of sandwiches from Tsunami Kate's. But before I go...

As for making my jewelry into a business, right now I am concentrating on getting enough inventory together so I can attempt to get into a juried summer art festival on the coast. Actually, there are two I am interested in, but I need tons more stuff made to make it worth while spending fees for booth space and an awning—not to mention display cases/boards of some kind. If those festivals turn out to be successful, then I'll go from there. I may also look into selling my things on consignment in a local shop, if I can find one that doesn't already have a relative doing jewelry for them! LOL :D However, I did come up with a name for my trinkets — Gryffin Jewelworks — but that's as far as I have gotten, other than making a custom bracelet for Blackfoot.

Precious metal clay looks like it would be a lot of fun, and I'm sure you could find instruction books at places like Barnes & Noble, or Amazon. Someone said you could fire the stuff with a small hand-held blow torch, rather than needing a kiln, but I don't know how even that would heat the piece.

If anyone gives it a try, post your results!

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

The Silver/Gold Precious Metal Clay (PMC) is fantastic (although might I recommend to start out with just small amount to see what you can do with it as it can be expensive) and yes you can use a small blow torch to burn the clay away leaving the precious metal. You need to be very aware of the color of the material being worked so you don't overheat it. If you don't heat it enough it won't be strong enough as there will still be clay within the piece. There are some kits that contain a DVD with instructions. You can also buy the DVD kit by itself.

There is also a International Organizational Guild that is dedicated to the PMC. There are local branches all over the country. Rates 1 year 2 years 3 years US &/or Canadian Members $30 (1 yr) $55 (2 yrs) $80 (3 yrs)

All other countries $40 (yr) $65 (2 yr) $90 (3 yr) Local branches may charge an additional fee to join in their meetings and my branch here in Cols, OH it is another $25.00 per year to join them.

At the meetings you can learn from those much more experienced in the use of PMC. I have been to one of the meetings already was taught a good deal on how to photograph the items to best advantage.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

Oh, besides the Silver and Gold PMC, they now have bronze clay too.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

When you think you have a name for your stuff, you can go onto the National Trademark site and do a comprehensive search to see if anyone has that name already tied up. Or if anyone has something similar (all according to how intensive a search you do) Once you come up with a name for your work, make sure you at least register it with your state. It really doesn't cost that much compared to applying for the actual trademark. However, that said once you register your name with your state, you can then use the ...TM... next to it. This shows you have the intention of applying for a Trademark in the future. Of course this is different then using the ...circled R... which is a registered trademark. Just know that you must use the ...TM... EVERYTIME you show the name in whatever form.

Again, it isn't as good as the ..circled R... but the TM gives some protection. Because is shows you did your research and you mean you want it to be yours with the intention of getting it protected as soon as you can.

I had to get my PO Box and Business phone number before I can get my license and Registration. There is so much dang paperwork. BUT, I as stated earlier if'n I am going to do this, I am going to do it right. sigh.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

My main problem right now is getting a Digital Camera. GRUMMBLE... ;)

oh, might I inquire if anyone has the "MAGICJACK Phone system" yet?

I needed to set up a business phone as it is illegal to use your residence phone as a business line. So, since I have Insight digital phone service at home, I couldn't get an Phantom line ...ie..800 number tied to my it.

So, I broke down an purchased a Magicjack this morning. The Jack is $39.00 and $19 a year for local and long distance.

IF no else already has it, I'll let you know how it is after I get it. I am just hoping this will work. sigh.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

The Silver/Gold Precious Metal Clay (PMC) is fantastic ...

Cassandra, thanks for your response. Now I don't mean to be overly specific here (well, yeah, actually I suppose I do), but fantastic in what ways? I need to know the reactions of someone who has worked with it. How is it to work wet? Does it hold shape or rebound? Sag when set down? When dried, how is it to work with small tools such as dental picks? Does it file/sand easily? What sort of grain does it have? Will a pick dragged accross the dried surface leave a fine line, a jagged edge or will chips fly all over the place? What would a Dremel tool do to it; powder or chunks? How much "open" time do I have before it freezes up solid as a rock or begins to flake off? Can I extend the open time? Can I cover/wrap/seal a working piece and return to it later?

Now if this stuff works the way it looks like it does, I'm sold. But looks can be deceiving; I want someone with real-world experience to reassure me that this stuff can be worked by someone (meaning me) that has great innate craftsman skills but no experience with small-scale wax-type modelling. I do some engraving and my woodcaring is quite good but I have no clay or wax sculpting experience.

In the mean time I'm looking for someone local who has experience, but I live out in the hinterlands (yes, Florida has hinterlands) and none of the cows I have spoken to seem to know what I'm going on about.

Oooh, bronze clay, a worthy substitute for poor man's gold!

3ff66f1f.jpg

Gryffin Jewelworks

As Lady Cassandra Seahawke says, you might wanna check if the name has been used..... I don't know if it was something here in California, or when I was back in Tennessee... but there was a Gryphin Iron works.... and the name kinda sounds similar/common.....

A fun aside:.... My Dad use to be "Black Mountain Guitar and Dulcimer Works"... well he got good at what he was doing... and was recognized as Jas. Patterson.... well someone else started up a shop and used the same name... well Black Mountain Guitar Works.... (don't worry, this is a cool story) But then they found out that my Dad had the name first... so they wrote to him.. explaining that they didn't know, and never meant to cut into his business.... My Father wrote them back, and told them that it was no problem, he was well enough known, that if they wanted the name, they could have it.... Hey.. my Dad is cool.....

1st I will answer quickly on the PMC as I am being charged by the minute on this computer since mine is down and the library is closed.

PMC, when you say wet are you talking "WATER" wet? If so, DON'T use water. If you want it more pliable, you can use Glycerin. You can use glycerin to make it more pliable/workable. But you have to knead it really well.

You can wrap it up with plastic and go back to it, if it is sealed properly.

Those are the most important items for now.

I'll answer the other questions when I can get on the computer at the library as this is costing me 20 cents a minute.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

PMC, when you say wet are you talking "WATER" wet? I should have actually said, I don't recommend the of use water other then a quick spray. If you want it more pliable, you can use Glycerin. You can use glycerin to make it more pliable/workable. But you have to knead it really well.

Might I also recommend the use of olive oil on your hands (just a dab) so the clay won't dry out your skin.

Just know that any addition to the clay, water, glycerin or such you will need to keep a weathered eye on your piece during firing as you will need to make minor adjustments in firing time.

You can wrap it up with plastic (tightly) and go back to it, if it is sealed properly. If it does dry out, yes you can remoisten it, it will take a bit of time but you can do it. Most often you get a pouch with the clay so that the clay not being worked can be stored safely without drying out. Just make sure you seal it tightly.

The best is to sand and file after completely dry but before firing. HOWEVER, with that said please note that the piece before firing MUST be handled delicately as it can break during handling before firing.

After firing but before finish Polishing you can add Gold overlay paste. You can then refire it (carefully) and do a final polishing. Once the final firing and polishing occurs the gold and silver is bonded and should wear very nicely.

You can also get a more liquified clay in a syringe. This is really nice to do delicate scrollwork, either during the initial creation or after the piece is dried BUT before final firing.

Hope that gives you the information you need.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

aye,

i'll sign the articles here, as I sit and sip a cuppa breakfast tea and rock the wee lad asleep.

i apprenticed to a silver smith many years ago and have set stone and made chains. I have a fossilized ammonite that I am working on designing a setting for, since the back is fire opal and displays lovely fire. Far too pretty to cover in a solid setting.

I have been designing jewerlly much longer then I have done pottery and it is probably my first love. Tims and cost have prohibited me setting up a full studio for that as well.

Anyways back to the desinging of this particular piece. The fossle is about 2 inches, roughly diameter and as i mentioned has lovely opal fire in the back as well as the impint of the beastie's shell. the front is cut flat and highly polished. I am thinking a loosly formed "net" to capture and hold the piece to a chain.

ideas would be welcome to be chatted upon.

salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Ah, welcome to the coffee house, Salty. The fire is cozy and the coffee and tea hot.

Way, WAY back in the day, I took a class on the lost wax method of casting jewelry, working in silver. It was really fun. We students would make our models in wax, then the teacher would take them home, cast them, bring them back, and we would clean them up and polish them. I still have a few of the pieces I made, mostly rings. However, I did make a rather large setting for an irregular piece of jade that my mom had, and made a pendant for her. She still has that. I would have loved to take more classes in it, but the guy only taught the one. I was concentrating so hard on learning the technique, that I didn't have time to get real artistic. That's why the PM clay is kinda interesting to me. But I'd like to take a class on it, before I jumped into the expense.

As for the name of my business (if you could really call it a business at this point)it isn't written in stone. I'm not going to worry too much about it until I am actually making money at this. It may all flop, so there is no use stressing over making the name official if it only gets used once or twice.

BTW, I think it's about time people posted some pictures!!!! <_<

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Dear Lady Seahawk, that is precisely the sort of information that I need. And when I say "wet" I simply mean working pliable, as it comes in the package.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Hey, just know that when you use PMC ...whatever you work on be sure to make it slightly bigger then what you really want as during the firing process the piece will SHRINK!

It shrinks because the binder material is burnt off, the metal then binds and leaves only the silver (or whatever metal you are using). So, piece will be smaller then when you first began the project.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

Ok, got my Magic Jack, have it installed etc.

So, I now have a business phone up and running which is good because you can't or should I say you aren't suppose to use your resident phone for business purposes. If'n ya do and get caught it could cause problems.

Now, as far as the Magic Jack goes. It works well enough, HOWEVER, I do NOT recommend it for home use as you are not guaranteed emergency service. This is an iffy thing and if you have children at home or elderly family members that may need emergency help it could be problematic. The site even tells you you may need an alternative way of calling 911.

Also, if you want to have it as your main number you would need to keep your computer on all the time in order to make/receive calls.

As beginning home business number I say it is great as the voice mail is on even if the computer is off and you can access the VM from any other phone. So it works for me as an cheap effective way to take orders. It may even be an effective for any business that has their computer online all the time while open, also, if you have a shop where you aren't able to put a phone line in or can't get mobile service yet able to have internet service you can hook up the Magic Jack to the computer with a headset and voila phone service.

But, as a home phone I see a problems with it.

So that is my take on Magic Jack.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...