Myrtle Beach Area

horstmeier

This August my family will be visiting Myrtle Beach. I was wondering if anyone out their knows of any Pirate Museums or Nautical Museums in that area. If so please let me know. I visited the official Myrtle Beach web site and found nothing. My e-mail address is horstmeier@juno.com.

I would appreciate any info.

Scott Horstmeier

Scott laddie,

I haven't been exactly to that area. On my trips to the East Coast, I've been as far south as Southport (Cape Fear) in North Carolina, which I don't think is far from Myrtle Beach. There is a North Carolina Maritime Museum there, with an exhibit about Stede Bonnett. Also a plaque at Bonnet's Creek, where tis told he was captured.

See an image of the plaque (and the creek), and learn more about North Carolina pyracy at:

http://www.noquartergiven.net/ncbbfestival.htm

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

"Saint Anne Bonney -- Prey for Us"

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

As a native sandlapper, I felt responsible for finding you something. I warn you that doesn't mean it's any good...

Teach's Hole, in Ocracoke, NC, is probably too far from Myrtle Beach to make a trip, but there's piratey stuff up there. There's some pirate-based stuff in Charleston, SC (where Stede Bonnet hanged), like Charleston's Pirates & Buccaneers: The War Against the Pirates, but I haven't tried it, so I can't give you a positive or negative review. Tours of Charleston (phone 800-854-1670) apparently competes with its "Pirates of Charleston" walking tour. In nearby Mount Pleasant, SC, you might try the Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum. Though probably a bit too far south, there's a "Pirate's Walk" in Savannah, Georgia. There ought to be somthing in Georgetown's historic district, much closer to Myrtle Beach, but there may be nothing.

For Myrtle Beach itself, I found:

"Pirates of the Carolinas" located at Broadway at the Beach, Myrtle Beach, SC; phone (843) 918-8737. This is described: "Another new attraction, Pirates of the Carolinas promises fun, adventure, and mystery. There's an interactive dark ride featuring pirates, sea dogs, and a chance to win prizes. Right next door is a restaurant opened for lunch and dinner that serves up a smorgasbord of Good ole' American food. Located in the Carribean Village, this is something the whole family can enjoy. "

Happy hunting.

As an aside, it may interest ya'll to know that one of my best friends while I was growing up was named after Colonel William Rhett. I've nearly recruited him for my pirate crew, which will be a tasty irony.

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21