Current projects?

Pew

Sea Chest refurb...

Due to the 'fine scottish weather', I had to put up a 'tent'...

But good progress has been made...

P5210047.jpg

Several layers of horridly slapped on paint has been removed, fresh paint applied...

Brass and other fittings removed and cleaned.

So far, so good...

I have a very similar chest to that but I want to turn mine into this:

parkes_armada_chest2.jpg

A 17th century armored treasure chest

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an interesting note on PoD's chest picture. I wonder if the fancy metalwork on the inside of the lid is not part of a lock system. Often it was decorated to appease the eye and show off the skill of the metalworkers as the rest of the chest is rather industrial solid.

Began my latest silly project today. Picked up a cheapy pine box at Michael's craft store and am going to turn it into a two compartment spirits chest. Made the inside shelf and burned in the artwork today.

Here's the outside:

3654645007_9854979226.jpg

This is the mark of my imaginary "mercantile":

3654645203_9524b496aa.jpg

A compass rose on the lid:

3654645377_3fa5fa4237.jpg

This is the inside shelf with a map of the West Indies:

3654645497_a8d67e6eea.jpg

And the exposed bottom compartment:

3655442868_1840703cce.jpg

Just need to stain and finish it, add the hinges, throw some packing material in the bottom and it will be done. Should hold six bottles quite nicely. Silly, I know.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.

3660251270_1501aa649b.jpg

an interesting note on PoD's chest picture. I wonder if the fancy metalwork on the inside of the lid is not part of a lock system. Often it was decorated to appease the eye and show off the skill of the metalworkers as the rest of the chest is rather industrial solid.

I think they put the ornate plate in them to hide away all the locking mechanisms from the eye and maybe to stop the contents of the chest getting caught up in the mechanisms

prospectus4_bw_bbg.jpg

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Began my latest silly project today. ...and am going to turn it into a two compartment spirits chest.

I collected a buncha Patron bottles (well the small ones...) with kinda the same intention. (well it was going to ... or one day will be a six compartment rum chest (you can never have to much rum...) )..... just other projects got in the way...... :rolleyes:

The wood burning is very nice though......

Mostly finished...

Need to figure out a lock, it originally had a half mortise lock... if I can find a good one for a reasonable sum with a proper looking key...

P5300072.jpg

Still might paint the inside of the lid and might touch up some spots inside with varnish.

Here's my inspiration;

Sea_Chest01.jpg

Sea_Chest02.jpg

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Those are very awesome, Syren! :) BTW, my mom likes the last one with the boat sea shore at night. She wants to know how much for it. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Well they are still unfinished..I have to blend them some more and paint the backs and bottoms and change out the handles...But the small bags we are going to ask $25.

The SeaHorse

Front-

PICT2751.jpg

Back-

PICT2757.jpg

Night on the Beach

Front-

PICT2748.jpg

Back-

PICT2758.jpg

Turtle Bag now has Handles and Trim-

Front-

PICT2434.jpg

Back-

PICT2761.jpg

DayDream Mermaid with trim and handles-

Front-

PICT2759.jpg

Back-

PICT2760.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, Syren, you need to get these on Etsy. It's really easy, and I think you would do very well. Your things are so unique! :rolleyes:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

ohhhh, pretty wheel

Do not drool on my wheel..yes Im debating keeping this one, this was the image stuck in my head for years to create and while it's still not finished as I have to add the seaweed I love this one. and the picture really does it no justice for the colors are amazing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Dang.... I've been busy.... wot with 2 Ospreys, 9 Bear heads, 23 pairs of padded Bead gloves, all for Work.... and then after work , making a spaceship for the 4th of July parade.....

Rocket.jpg

This is just the Spaceship.... without the tinsel and balloons or the Blue Frog with a margarita glass riding in it..... (I'll post that/those pictures when I get them)

Then I got a motorcycle..... that I'm going to Steampunk....Kinda what I did to a candlestick, turning it into a raygun, I'm going to do with the bike.....

The candlestick turned into a raygun....

CAAAD-1.jpg

and the Bike as it is right now....

Bike-01.jpg

I will be posting more about the bike in the Steampunk thread.....

• 2 weeks later...

Dang.... I've been busy.... wot with 2 Ospreys, 9 Bear heads, 23 pairs of padded Bead gloves, all for Work.... and then after work , making a spaceship for the 4th of July parade.....

Rocket.jpg

I will be posting more about the bike in the Steampunk thread.....

I'm... not even sure I WANT to know what that is coming out the back. :P:P

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Sea Chest Refurb...

Aside from the lack of a lock, I'm still hoping to pick up a half mortise lock for it, the chest is 'done' - for now... These things are never really done, now are they?

I also made a smaller, more typical sea chest, just need to make or have made some beckets to finish it properly...

Not that it is 'done'... :rolleyes:

P6280061.jpg

P6280062.jpg

Best part, it fits perfectly for transport...

P7150055.jpg

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

niiiiice....

Love the till and the lock.

The blue looks like a repro restoration color. Maybe "Old Village Brand?"

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...