Wheel-lock

Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

My best brudder has a nice wheelock and it's been sitting in his curio cabinet for around twenty years. I've been on him about building a weapon around it ever since he got it. Now that I have decided to quit doing events, he decides he's ready to start putting parts together for this project. Go figger! Anyhow, I was tryin to come up with some images of stocks and guns with the wheelock, but not having much success. Anyone have a link or two to share?

Thanx!

Bo

While I love the 16th Century wheel locks, this one looks more period (although I admit that I don't have a date on this one, it looks about right for the period).

20229504.JPG

However, if you want to make everyone in this pub drool, go for something more like these.

img-col-mmp-firearms-hig-1.jpg

Circa 1580, flask 1600.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

There's probably a copyright violation here... but someone has scanned the contents of "How to Build Your Own Wheelock Rifle or Pistol" and put them on the net as a pdf.

http://thedisease.net/functions.php?PHPSES...llock_Plans.pdf

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Thank you all. I think he was looking at building a long gunne, but that first pistol looks alot like mine that has a "simulated" flint conversion. (The lockplate was made to the shape of the wheelock and flint parts added to that) I will run that past him too. Any long gunne images you guys are aware of in books? I can get alot of stuff through the university library loan thingy. Thanx again, those images are dangerous!

Bo

Thanx! I completely forgot about the Rifle Shoppe. We had been discussing the fish-tails too if that style would fit for the lock and time period.

Here is a photo of my lil' cutie;

pyratpistol1.jpg

It's a .54 smoothie. I really wanted a bigger calibre at first, but this is swee-eet! lots o fun to plat with!

Bo

Lovely gunne Bob. Where'd ye find it?

I traded my Enfield Civil War musket for it on another forum over the summer. Frontier Folk Trading Post has alot of goodies consistently.

I'm BO not Bob. :blink: (He's the other guy)

Bo

GAH sorry m' culley

Maybe a stupid question but when the wheel-lock fires does it fire right straight away or nano seconds later as the wheel spins?

Having never had the pleasure to fire either a flint or wheel-lock I am dying to try both!

Maybe a stupid question but when the wheel-lock fires does it fire right straight away or nano seconds later as the wheel spins?

Having never had the pleasure to fire either a flint or wheel-lock I am dying to try both!

Not that I either have had the pleasure of firing a wheellock, but theory tell's me that it should fire faster than a flintlock.

Edited by Quartermaster James

Not that I either have had the pleasure of firing a wheellock, but theory tell's me that it should fire faster than a flintlock.

What the wheel lock had going for it was certainty of ignition, because of the sparks occuring right down in the priming, rather than having to have the sparks fall into the priming from above. They were a huge improvment over the match lock, not having to depend on a smoldering match cord, and could be carried cocked and ready to fire.

A properly designed and maintained flintlock will be pretty much instantaneous and just as certain. The wheel lock fell out of favor by the time the true flintlock was fully developed. Wheel locks are considerably more labor intensive to make, and require closer tolerances, and are therefore more expensive. They are also a lot bulkier in size. They tend to be a bit more fragile, and less tolerant of wear to the working parts.

>>>>> Cascabel

• 2 weeks later...

This is the stuff right here! Thanks Cascabel. I always enjoy it when you share your experience and knowledge. I am trying to talk him into the pistol idea over the long-gunne. My next neighbor over works for Fajen gun stocks and can get me whatever I want for wood and will pre-shape it for me too. This is gonna be fun, but I mat lose my cutlass in the process,(ME brudder fell in love with mine after the last guard change I did). I guess I'll have to use me back-up then.

Bo

This is the stuff right here! Thanks Cascabel. I always enjoy it when you share your experience and knowledge. I am trying to talk him into the pistol idea over the long-gunne. My next neighbor over works for Fajen gun stocks and can get me whatever I want for wood and will pre-shape it for me too. This is gonna be fun, but I mat lose my cutlass in the process,(ME brudder fell in love with mine after the last guard change I did). I guess I'll have to use me back-up then.

Bo

If the project actually gets under way, please keep us posted, and step by step photos would be nice too. I'm sure there would be lots of interest, being that wheel locks are not common.

>>>> Cascabel

Not sure I'd agree with that, Cascabel. The matchlock has been my primary piece for the last 20 years, being that I prefer 16th-17th c period. I can and have fired in the rain, and under many questionable conditions. Knowing where to cock your match, keeping your pan cover well tightened and greased, knowing how much prime and where to set it in the pan all comes into play. With a well tuned matchlock, I can get ignition just as fast as a flintlock. The wheelock, on the other hand is touchy, very dependant on the piece of pyrite in the cock (most people I know have switiched to using the misch metal from industrial welding strikers), and a real pain.

Historically, the matchlock was more useful, since it could take more abuse, and could even fire with a completely broken or missing lock, by just dipping the match in by hand, especially useful when the drill called for the piece to be used as a club when your bandolier was empty. On the other hand, the wheelock was subject to all manner of problems. Leaving it spanned for any length of time would ensure that it would not fire, since spring steel was in it's infancy and would take a set to the spanned position. The chain would break, the sear come unhooked. It was also a high maintainance item. Since the pan is effectively open to the lock, powder would sift down into the works. I have personally seen a lock blow out of the side of the piece when too much powder got into the pistol and wasn't cleaned out. References from the Germanies during the 30 Years War advise reiter squadrons to make very sure they had a well equipped and skillful armorer with them at all times, due to the problems with the wheelocks.

Like any other weapon, it depends on how familiar you are with it and how good your your maintainance is. I have two matchlocks and two wheelocks. The wheelocks look interesting and are great for conversation starters with the public, but when I am going into a shooting competition, I want my matchlock. I know it will work when it counts, something I can not be sure of with the wheel.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Not sure I'd agree with that, Cascabel. The matchlock has been my primary piece for the last 20 years, being that I prefer 16th-17th c period. I can and have fired in the rain, and under many questionable conditions. Knowing where to cock your match, keeping your pan cover well tightened and greased, knowing how much prime and where to set it in the pan all comes into play. With a well tuned matchlock, I can get ignition just as fast as a flintlock. The wheelock, on the other hand is touchy, very dependant on the piece of pyrite in the cock (most people I know have switiched to using the misch metal from industrial welding strikers), and a real pain.

Historically, the matchlock was more useful, since it could take more abuse, and could even fire with a completely broken or missing lock, by just dipping the match in by hand, especially useful when the drill called for the piece to be used as a club when your bandolier was empty. On the other hand, the wheelock was subject to all manner of problems. Leaving it spanned for any length of time would ensure that it would not fire, since spring steel was in it's infancy and would take a set to the spanned position. The chain would break, the sear come unhooked. It was also a high maintainance item. Since the pan is effectively open to the lock, powder would sift down into the works. I have personally seen a lock blow out of the side of the piece when too much powder got into the pistol and wasn't cleaned out. References from the Germanies during the 30 Years War advise reiter squadrons to make very sure they had a well equipped and skillful armorer with them at all times, due to the problems with the wheelocks.

Like any other weapon, it depends on how familiar you are with it and how good your your maintainance is. I have two matchlocks and two wheelocks. The wheelocks look interesting and are great for conversation starters with the public, but when I am going into a shooting competition, I want my matchlock. I know it will work when it counts, something I can not be sure of with the wheel.

Hawkyns

Aye, I'm in full agreement with you on reliability being based on how familiar you are with your weapons, and quality of maintenance !! This applies to any ignition system. The reproduction wheel locks I have examined definitely have issues with poor fit between the wheel and the pan, even when brand new. Not so with the originals that I have seen, unless badly worn. This is where the closer tolerances come in to play. Careful hand fitting is expensive, and good maintenance is critical on these things !! Powder sifting down behind the lock is really something to watch for.

>>>> Cascabel

• 1 month later...

These are nice.

http://www.engerisser.de/Bewaffnung/weapon...lockmusket.html

http://www.engerisser.de/Bewaffnung/weapon...lockpistol.html

I'm actually looking for data on wheellocks. If any of you who own them are so inclined, I could really use barrel lengths, overall lengths, total weight, weight of the lock, and length of the lock. Thanks!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.