What type of sword do you like best?

Jib

I, too, have a Windlass steelcraft cutlass of which I am inordinately fond.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I really like those cute little plastic swords that are skewered through a nice juicy olive, and plunked into a gin martini. :unsure:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist LOL )

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Cutlass or hanger for me, or an Irish Hilt broadsword (forerunner of the scots basket hilt). I have an original 18th c blade that I relihilted to a shell guard for my standard carry piece, and I was fortunate to find an almost identical piece from Darkwood that was made as a fighting blunt. I also have an Irish Hilt blunt from Armourclass that serves me well for re-enactment fighting. I studied Silver as a fighting style, so my preference is always something that I can get in close with, use edge rather than point, and use pommel and guard as easily as blade.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 1 month later...

Rather fond o' cutlasses m'self! Of course I use the hilt and pommel almost as much as I use the blade! I prefer the short blade, since I basically treat it as a really long knife. It lets you get in close and do some serious damage in bouting. Plus its fun to go against the rapier handlers and watch their eye bug out once ye get inside their reach! LOL

MJ

www.HistoricalMaritimeCombat.com

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Any stage combatants among the crew posting here? Have you a fav for stage?

Aye! I've performed and taught stage combat for 18 years..well...19 now....LOL!

What I find most rewarding though is to work period techniques to make them safe for stage. Keep it believable, sez I!

M-Jack

www.Artofcombat.org

Monterey Jack

What! No love for the small sword?

Not personally, but "Doc " Lennox with the HMCA teaches some Officers smallsword work that is virtually unstoppable in many instances. Its a single move when faced with an aggressive opponent in a boarding action and is seriously sweet.

M-Jack

Monterey Jack

Ugly, sharp and pointy, stained with no polish, but no rust. The uglier the better. Shiny things draw attention to ya when ya don't need or want it drawn in my experience.

Bo

Bo! Good to read from ye! I've been outta touch for a bit but hope to be around more often now that me and me mate parted ways.....

Monterey Jack

Thar be but only one sword be worth carry'n; A Sharp One!

Ye can have yer cutlass, ye can have yer sabre, ye can have yer hanger, ye can have yer rape her, 'uh rapier, 'n yer dagger - but if naught be Sharp then ye may as well carry a stick!

:rolleyes:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

My original smallsword, if I get buried it will be with that

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Broadsword - always good for cleaving red meats and bone.

Cutlass - for more general hack, slash sort of stuff and all around cutting of fruits and vegetables. Not so good for bread though, unless the bread is a bit stale, otherwise it just tends to roll and mash it all over the place.

Rapiers – are great at camp-outs for cooking shish kabobs, tofu pups and marshmallows around the campfire.

tofu pups eh? :blink:

I always wonder'd what that stuff was made from.

::...hmmm, th' neighbors have new puppies:: B)

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

starfire swords...and paul chen.....have had the best luck with them....so far.

I'll agree with the recomendation for Paul Chen. Starfires are a bit heavy (for my taste), and a user of heavier weapons require a crapload more training and practice before they are "safe" (again my opinion).

Comparable in weight to the Paul Chens, but a million miles better in quality is "Armour Class" based in England (or is it Scotland?)... But be forewared, there tends to be anywhere from a 6 to 9 month waiting list with Armour Class.

For lighter weapons, I strongly recommend SCA (or SCA style) fencing blades. There are a good handful of manufacturers spread out over the continental USA. They are lighter (and hence in my opinion safer for beginners), but they are designed to take regular stress (against similar weighted weapons). They look better than normal fencing weapons, because they actually have some blade mass (unlike the car attenaes on handles that sports fencing weapons are). In fact my two blades of this nature are my favourite... They are light enough to do some great and quick stage combat, and light enough that you can swing them for hours without getting tired, but still substantial enough to look reasonably close to actual period weapons. I had my blades custom made at 28 and 26 inch lengths to better simulate period hangers, and had a custom shell guard to finish the GAoP look (see image below).

1908125128_7bfe068e60.jpg

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

starfire swords...and paul chen.....have had the best luck with them....so far.

I'll agree with the recomendation for Paul Chen. Starfires are a bit heavy (for my taste), and a user of heavier weapons require a crapload more training and practice before they are "safe" (again my opinion).

Comparable in weight to the Paul Chens, but a million miles better in quality is "Armour Class" based in England (or is it Scotland?)... But be forewared, there tends to be anywhere from a 6 to 9 month waiting list with Armour Class.

For lighter weapons, I strongly recommend SCA (or SCA style) fencing blades. There are a good handful of manufacturers spread out over the continental USA. They are lighter (and hence in my opinion safer for beginners), but they are designed to take regular stress (against similar weighted weapons). They look better than normal fencing weapons, because they actually have some blade mass (unlike the car attenaes on handles that sports fencing weapons are). In fact my two blades of this nature are my favourite... They are light enough to do some great and quick stage combat, and light enough that you can swing them for hours without getting tired, but still substantial enough to look reasonably close to actual period weapons. I had my blades custom made at 28 and 26 inch lengths to better simulate period hangers, and had a custom shell guard to finish the GAoP look (see image below).

dang it...i keep meaning to look at your blades...and keep fergittin...most be the green fairy... :D

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

dang it...i keep meaning to look at your blades...and keep fergittin...most be the green fairy... :D

I thought you had a good look at it back at Beaufort?.... Oh wait, maybe it was Rats... Either way, I'll bring it with me next time we see you (maybe to return your weapons bag?) or probably no later than Reenactor Fest.

The main problem with this option, is SCA (and SCA style makers, tend to be a pain in the butt about making custom stuff. Either they want a King's ransom for the work (and I'm not saying it's not worth it) or their waiting lists are insanely long, or both... The one guy I know who's waiting list isn't long has been making movements to get out of the business (or perhaps only take a very long hatus), which leaves my blade and it's mate (which Nick bought) as the only two that really match up... Because they are a bit lighter than the Chen's/Armour Classes, and a hair heavier than most standard SCA weapons.... :D (They were designed for stage combat and not SCA fencing and as such are technically too heavy to be considered SCA fencing blades).

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

• 1 month later...

Quoted for truth. Not all swords are created equal. Saw a Paul Chen get snapped by an Armour Class sword a couple years ago. Sold my Paul Chen not too long thereafter.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I've gone through a few swords so far and none of them really hit the mark until I got my Loyalist Arms shell guard cutlass. This is the one for me mateys!!! :P

cutlass.jpg

Apologies for the not very good photo.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

My Loyalist cutlass for a crowded scrimmage on a heaving deck littered with fallen timber, rope and loose cannonballs, My smallsword from Godwin for polite duelling, my old Del Tin swept-hilt rapier for sheer swagger, a Bowie for the real down-and-dirty. I've commissioned a sword of my design named Three Moons from John Lundemo, one of the best swordsmiths working today. It's sort of a two-handed scimitar, a deluxe item that's going to cost a good chunk of my income for some time to come. When that's paid off, I'm commissioning a custom cutlass from John. It will be the ultimate pirate chief's cutlass, elegant and deadly at the same time. I love the sharp and pointies.

• 1 year later...

Which sword do I like best?

The one I pull from my enemy's lifeless body, of course!

I think my characters would give the same answer!

This is the Toledo sword my pirate captain and my mercenary prefer:

toledo.jpg

But as they are one from Veracruz and one from Nueva Valencia (now Venezuela) they prefer for daily fights this machete (no cutlass, but of a similar length)

machete.jpg

This is the sidesword (spada di latto) that Sword Angel prefers (of course, he is a Venetian citizen).

sidesword.jpg

and this is the hanger my Navy character uses:

hanger.jpg

I hope you like them....

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Eye really like the Sword Eye purchased from Baltimore Sword and knife... It has held up well against broad swords to Katanas...It even bent the hell up outta one katana during a recent shoot on the set of "Treachery and a Dead mans Promise" Aye the sound of steal never been so sweet!

IMG_3102.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."