What type of sword do you like best?

Jib

I am currently re-hilting a rapier and a cutlass, defarbing them so to speak, and trying to dress up the rapier. I have also purchased a Coldsteel 1917 cutlass that I plan on re-working as soon as it arrives......I'll post some pics if the time fairy grants me a few extra minutes...

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer a short hanger or cuttoe for close quarters fighting. This is my personal sword "Naja", a short, stout cuttoe. 23" overall length with a 16" blade. Almost more of a "Boucan" knife than a cutlass. Each of my crew are issued and armed with identical blades of this type. It is forged from the leaf springs of a military jeep and is based on a design by our friend Matt Stagmer.

RevenantSword1.jpg

Naja1.jpg

Edited by Captain Midnight

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Why, now, that's a very simple question to answer...tis the sword I can't afford, of course!

Yeah, okay...I got me cutlass...couple of them, actually...nothing much to boast about, but I use them in parades, so I'd have to say...cutlass.

But...

Got me some other blades I'd like to lay me dirty paws on, if'n I had the plunder and loot to do so...like...

The Greek kopis...a real slasher and hacker, that, good for all sorts of limb cleaving

Hossom_Kopis02-ww.jpg

Or the sword that won an Empire, the Gladius...thrust, twist, find another barbarian, do it again...

gladius.jpg

Or for sheer mean-ness, how about something a bit...Mexican? Didn't really work on the Spanish, though...

aztec4figure09.jpg

Edited by Capn Bob

Damn, thats sharp!

Why, now, that's a very simple question to answer...tis the sword I can't afford, of course!

Yeah, okay...I got me cutlass...couple of them, actually...nothing much to boast about, but I use them in parades, so I'd have to say...cutlass.

But...

Got me some other blades I'd like to lay me dirty paws on, if'n I had the plunder and loot to do so...like...

The Greek kopis...a real slasher and hacker, that, good for all sorts of limb cleaving

Or for sheer mean-ness, how about something a bit...Mexican? Didn't really work on the Spanish, though...

aztec4figure09.jpg

Deadliest Warrior tried one of these. The stones that form the edge came loose after the first cut. Also, this worked best against unarmored warriors. Against a helmet and back and breast you are just carrying a club.

Mark

Personally, I've become rather a fan of the French epee du soldat. It's basically a light broadsword mounted on a smallsword hilt. I like it because it has a long, straight blade and the grip of a smallsword, which give it nice thrusting capability, but unlike a smallsword the blade is also stout enough to deliver hacking blows. It's almost like a cross between a smallsword and a hanger.

fsdl02-item.jpg

However, it could be said that this combination robs it of some of each of those swords better characteristics. For instance, the long, straight blade does make close-quarters fighting somewhat difficult, and doesn't have the cutting power of a curved blade. Also, the width of the blade makes it heaver, slower, and overall less effective as a thrusting weapon. Still, I like it because I have a little skill in fencing, and I believe that I could reasonably defend myself if handed a sword of that type.

Other than that though, a nice, average hanger is a very good blade. Strong, good cutting power, and can deliver a thrust if necessary. Overall a very good zombie killer... I mean... erm... weapon.

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow