5th annual Baltimore Pirate Invasion/Privateers Day

crimson corsair

Having spoken with Duncan on the phone a week or so ago, I know for a fact that the "reenactors" area will be open through Sunday for camping purposes. Last year he and his group had to break camp after the event (and I felt really sorry for them, as they have a ton of stuff) and he didn't want a repeat performance of that again this year. Given that, it isn't a huge leap to turn it into a two-day. I see the main problem as being the conflict with MTT, which is a pretty big draw for reenactors in these parts. It'll be interesting to see what the Baltimore Rangers and the Maritime Regiment of Foot do this year, because I know they were invited to come to Baltimore. I'm hoping that's where they decide to go.

The event hosts and I did have a long discussion over extending this to a two day event. While there is definitely interest in extending it everyone decided that this was not the year to make that jump. Last year was a huge success and there are more things from a living history perspective planned for this year. If all goes well we then we can look at that for next year. It was just to big a step to take this year.

As Black John indicated the living history camp will be setup from Friday evening thru Sunday morning, with public hours from 10AM to 7PM on Saturday. Outside of the hours camp will be closed, but viewable from outside the perimeter rope.

Duncan McGuyver

Living History Coordinator / Safety Officer

Fells Point Privateer Day

Captain Duncan McGuyver

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

The Juryrig

MDRF Based Social & Renfaire Crew

The Juryrig

Port Tortuga

A Piracy based Pennsic household

B09 Block, The Highlands (Up Hill & Left)

Port Tortuga

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can’t tell you all how excited I am about this festival. I am now signed on as vendor for the first time. I have shared a booth with Pirates Magazine in the past and had a few swords out for display but this time I am going all out and I plan to have a booth full of cutlasses and other piratey goodies. I will have some custom jewelry for sale. If you catch me soon you can put in a request for anything particular that you might want to see. I plan on doing it up huge this year.

In addition to being a vendor I am also going to be involved in as much activities and events as I can. I hope to make a nice sword or even a dagger for some sort of give away.

As far as Pirates Magazine goes, we are trying to make this years festival the place to be for all pirates not just local. The last few years we have gathered all the pirates from all over the country and met up in New Orleans. Not this year. This year we are proud to host a ton of guests in our hometown. Dave Nichols, Scarlett the Harlott, Talderoy and the great sword maker Tony Swatton are among our guest list. We will be having a few special events through out the weekend. One of those will be a tug of war game where you and your mates can take on the Pirates Magazine Press Gang.

Pirates Magazine is super excited to be onboard this year in a big way. We are still planning as much as we can to cram into the weekend. Finally we have the whole crew in my hometown. I can't tell you how excited I am.

I will post a ton more info soon. This year before you think about going to New Orleans...give Baltimore a shot.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

Awww Nell I feel bad. I was in Key West the last 10 days and didn’t have net so I had no way to contact you. Would have loved to stop in and see you and yours. I had a blast in the Keys. I am planning on writing an online article about it...

Anyway...back to the Fells Point fest.

Anyone that has gone to New Orleans the last few years or has thought about it should def consider coming to Baltimore this year instead. We have just as many pubs if that is what you are looking for and the parties here will be ones not to be missed. If you go to New Orleans for the history of piracy then Baltimore will be just as good if not better. Fells point is just one of the many sites that you can visit within 10 mins of each other. Our Harbor has come a longgg way the last few years and there are plenty of nice places to stay.

If anyone is looking for a cheap place to stay you can drop me a line and I can try to help. I am going to make up a short guide for any out of towners that will suggest some good cheap eats and places to visit while in town. Just like 1stMate's guide to Bmore. Since I live about 10 mins from the fair site I will be hosting a party for a few and opening up my sword shop for visitors and for any smithy work that needs to be done that weekend.

For those that dont want to travel for a one day event...No wurries. Myself and Pirates Magazine plan to give you plenty of things to do the whole weekend.

thatworks.shop

For those that dont want to travel for a one day event...No wurries. Myself and Pirates Magazine plan to give you plenty of things to do the whole weekend.

Info on that well ahead of time would be most appreciated. With the finances as they are in the world today, to fly out from California for a one day event really isn't in the cards. We are very familiar with that neck of the woods and think the event sounds first rate all round and might be do able if there was a bit more there to draw us as back. So, if ye could be postin a bit more of what be in the often to participate in, it would be most appreciated.

Fair winds,

-Greydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Info on that well ahead of time would be most appreciated. With the finances as they are in the world today, to fly out from California for a one day event really isn't in the cards. We are very familiar with that neck of the woods and think the event sounds first rate all round and might be do able if there was a bit more there to draw us as back. So, if ye could be postin a bit more of what be in the often to participate in, it would be most appreciated.

Fair winds,

-Greydog

Will do. I am going to the Pirates HQ tonight to work on my most recent article and I will get everything we have planned on paper for you. I know that Sunday 12 of our Press Gang members will be boarding a ship and heading from fells point to Annapolis for dinner. Not sure if there are more open spots on the ship but I will find out. The wurst that could happen would be to stay an extra day in Baltimore and roam the streets as a pirate much like New Orleans. The ladies here in Baltimore love their pirates.

I will def be having an open invite at my shop if anyone wants to come out and see how I make things.

thatworks.shop

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I am blown away. I was planning on having about 4 of our west coast Press Gang out for this event. That list has now hit 8-10. Dave Nichols(editor of Easy Rider+Pirates Magazine)Tony Swatton(the maker of the POTC swords) and his lovely lady Dawn, Talderoy(the host of the official TLAPD party), Scarlett Harlott, Lycan(one of our event photographers), Jose(the best character in the pirate relm if you ask me) Armond(the spanish pirate) and a few more are all coming for Cali to be apart of this event.

If you don't know our west coast Press Gang then this is the perfect opportunity. They go all out and have a blast doing it. I am so excited to have the chance to host my dear friends in my home town.

l_0d4a492235924ee5b53589cd99ee71d6.jpg

Dont miss out. IMO these guys are half of what made New Orleans so much fun. Join us in Baltimore, my home town, and have the piratical time that you have been waiting for.

If you can get Jose to break character at any point during the festival I will personally buy you a subscription to Pirates Magazine. Good luck. I have tried.

I got a chance last week to attend a planning meeting for this show. Seems the people that head up this festival are top notch. They continue to grow and think bigger each year and strive to make it the best. I am excited to goto the ball. Friday night will not be a night to miss. I cant tell you all how pumped I am. I dont even care if I sell any swords...I am so excited about the weekend.

thatworks.shop

I wanted to add one more thing that really stood out in my mind at the meeting. I was verry pleases to see how the ladies and gents that run the show are committed to the living history part of the show. Sure sure, lots of people are going to that event for the pub crawl and the party aspect, but the living history part of these events are crucial. They will be expanding this year and again next year. I am sure it will grow every year.

thatworks.shop

Whilst we still be wantin to be hear in more.

At his point, provided Cantankerous Jan can fly that soon after havin her eyes fixed, we plan on flyin out from California and attendin this right fine event. And, we got word that she can, so as of today we be offically attendin this er event.

Now did I get this right, no weapons in any fashion are allowed at this er event or was that just the pub crawl?

Fair Winds,

-Greydog

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

No Weapons....At the Privateer Day event or at the Pyrate Invaion Pub Crawl.. I don't think the baltimore City Police will care if you have a plastic sword from the dollar store. Be careful. You don't want to spend the night in the city jail dressed as a pirate. at lest not in Baltimore. So please keep your real swords and pistols at home....

The Friday night ball is going to be alot of fun. There will be a list soon of the bars and pubs that are have drink and food specials. on Saturdaynight.

The next meeting is tonight so I hope to have some more info for you band of cut throats...

Crimson

Edited by crimson corsair

"No matter where you go. There you are."

Thanks for the info. Sure will make airplane flying easier with no weapons.

Does the ball Friday come with a full dinner? I am guessing for the pre-event day price of $35 that it does not come with a meal.

All around this looks like a good event and gives us a chance to visit Baltimore which we haven't done in quite a few years. We already have reservations at the Admiral Fell Inn.

Fair winds,

-Greydog

Does the ball Friday come with a full dinner? I am guessing for the pre-event day price of $35 that it does not come with a meal.

The price does include food. The food is being done in a "Taste Of Fells Point" format with different local restaurants providing their signature items. As of today there are already 12 restaurants participating and the list is not finalized yet.

Bar details are still being finalized, but Pirates Choice Rum Pirates Choice Rum has signed on as sponsor. That being said it looks like rum drinks with their rum will be include in the ticket price. Beer and wine will either be included, or available for reasonable prices.

Duncan McGuyver

Living History Coordinator / Safety Officer

Fells Point Privateer Day

Edited by Duncan McGuyver

Captain Duncan McGuyver

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

Crew Of The Vigilant

The Juryrig

The Juryrig

Port Tortuga

Port Tortuga

Friday night's Swashbuckler Soiree tickets can be purchased online thru Fells Point Main Street, the event hosts.

Swashbuckler Soiree

Website for Fells Point Privateer Day:

Fells Point Priavteer Day

Websites for Baltimore Pyrate Invasion:

Fells Point Main Street Site > Pyrate Invasion

Baltimore Pyrate Invasion (To be Updated)

Captain Duncan McGuyver

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

Crew Of The Vigilant

The Juryrig

The Juryrig

Port Tortuga

Port Tortuga

Friday night's Swashbuckler Soiree tickets can be purchased online thru Fells Point Main Street, the event hosts.

Swashbuckler Soiree

Website for Fells Point Privateer Day:

Fells Point Priavteer Day

Websites for Baltimore Pyrate Invasion:

Fells Point Main Street Site > Pyrate Invasion

Baltimore Pyrate Invasion (To be Updated)

Thank you for all the great info!

Sold, I just bought my tickets.

Fair winds,

-Greydog

Graydog make sure ye say ahoy!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Graydog make sure ye say ahoy!

T'would put a smile on me lips and joy in me heart to say ello to many a lad and lass from this er board. Do ye already have a camp designated at the event that we could be droppin by? With us bein orphans owin to a silver bird from the west not only friendly faces but ports of refuge be nice to be designatin in advance.

Fair winds,

-Greydog

Aye t'would be grand to drop by and say ello to both Capt Thighbiter and bbcddutchman and so we shall be doin just that.

Thank ye all fer the invites.

Fair Winds,

-Greydog