5th annual Baltimore Pirate Invasion/Privateers Day

crimson corsair

Crimson Corsair you post a vveerryyy convincing argument and its has worked(honestly i needed only a little convencing lol) i shall indeed attend, so long as i can get a hotel. i agree about the 2 night min though, i cant say i like staying and paying for 2 nights *sigh ...that pub crawl...sounds...aammaazzziinngggg

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the hotels wouldn't require a two night minimum.

It would have been nice to have a place to stay that one night so we don't need a designated driver. However, I'm only 45 minutes from Baltimore so it just isn't worth the extra money for me or my friends to do two a two night stay.

There are other hotels in the area. I don't think they have the 2 night minimum. I know Captn' Thighbiter has made it down for the last 3 pubcrawls . Maybe he can tell you if the hotels in the outer area are more resonable.

I didn't see you last year Rogue. I hope I run into you this year.

"No matter where you go. There you are."

I'll do my best to hunt you down this time!

This year my group needs to try and stick with the main body of pirates.

I can't say enough how much I loved that little Greek bar we wound up in though. I wish I knew their name, it was right across the road from the Green Turtle. They were so happy to have pirates there. The drinks weren't the best I'd ever had - but they were buy one get one, so who's complaining?

We stayed this year at one of the hotels in the outer area, one by a trucking hub ( north of Fells Point, i think) maybe 10 min by car. It was a bit cheaper ( $125 or so, but dont quote me, we stayed in so many this year). No min stay. By cab it was 20.00 one way to Fells Point. The great thing about the ADMIRAL FELL , you can get falling down drunk and fell right into bed!

Rogue - you gonna be wearing the SEXY mermaid costume? <_<

Tignor, I dont think you will be disapointed in Fells Point, great surroundings, really good daytime entertianment and a decent living history area, a harbor and water and SHIPS immediately at hand ( unlike the P-con, which is no where near water or ships), is one helluva lot cheaper - and the pub crawl is the biggest f-ing party I've ever been too ( an i been to a lot of biker ralleys and such). PLUS the Friday night Captains Ball will have us, The Brigands, and some very good friends of ours, the Bawdy Buccaneers and others.

The last time we did a nite time adult show together with the Buccs (Down East Pirate Days in Maine) it was 4 straight hours of the bawdyest, filthyest Pirate fun!

I am sure P-Con will be fun also, so if the $$ is not a big deal, flip a doubloon and decide!

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

Oh and I didn't mention the sea battle - this year it was a shore battery from the stone pier firing upon 3 vessels, two of which were under sail and circleing the other. We got to fire our 1-7/8" cannon from the deck of a sweet two master that was running under full sail and went thru 22 rounds before we ran out! The BBF in Hampton has a good battle ( several actually) but for sheer number of guns involved in one encounter, the Pirate Invasion on Sat seemed to win the bell. P-con, well not so much boom booms. In fact, I don't think black powder discharges have been mentioned at all in the P-con reviews and promo stuff... and black powder smells like pyracy!

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

I've been reenacting all sorts of things for three decades, and all I can say is, with the exception of the first Hampton Blackbeard Festival (which was actually part of OpSail'0-whatever), I'm not sure I've seen so many things going on at one place during the course of a day. The camps, the music, the ships, the pubbing... it was one huge ball of zany piratical fun. Hell, I took a few of my extreme hard core reenactors with me, and even they had fun.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

We stayed this year at one of the hotels in the outer area, one by a trucking hub ( north of Fells Point, i think) maybe 10 min by car. It was a bit cheaper ( $125 or so, but dont quote me, we stayed in so many this year). No min stay. By cab it was 20.00 one way to Fells Point. The great thing about the ADMIRAL FELL , you can get falling down drunk and fell right into bed!

Rogue - you gonna be wearing the SEXY mermaid costume? ;)

Thanks Capt Thighbiter. I think I'll look into some places alittle farther away and consider a cab.

Thank you for the compliment, but I don't think I'll be wearing the mermaid costume this year. I wore that thing so much this year that I rarely got to dress as a pirate! ;)

Wow such a well liked event...now i HAVE to go. Cannons and black powder always make me happy! The only thing left for me to wonder is if this is a more historically minded event oooorrrr hollywood carzyness ...i do pray for the first *crosses fingers

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Wow such a well liked event...now i HAVE to go. Cannons and black powder always make me happy! The only thing left for me to wonder is if this is a more historically minded event oooorrrr hollywood carzyness ...i do pray for the first *crosses fingers

Well if you stay by the pirate encampment, its more historically minded, and the re-enactors did a bang up job this year. If your kit is period, you should passs muster and be able to go beyond 'the ropes' into the actual living history areas.

Away from that area its more H-wood and Renn faire type pirates you'll be seeing. But the sense of the history of the area and the event is always evident, IMHO.

And for the pub crawl, anything goes ( and I saw some firsts this year down there in fells point).

See ye there mate!

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

There is something for all pirates, whether your period or Hollywood. There will be black powder demos with Pistols,muskets,and of course cannons. All the major details for this year are not set in stone yet so I dare to offer to much info at this point.

As always NO WEAPONS This means no costume weapons. no plastic weapons no "peace tied" weapons.

swords or pistols. You will see people with weapons but the are reenactor and performers. these people have permission from the event organizers The weapons will have been checked by a certified weapons inspectors.

I can say at this point that this year is shaping up to be bigger that last year. I hope by late winter I will have a list of bars and pubs that will be involved this year.

• 1 month later...

Plane tickets have just taken a near 50% cut in price, so these events (The day and the night) stand a very good chance of being firmed up on our schedule to flyin from the west coast.

Rumor has it that the infamous Talderoy will now be attending as well.

Fair winds,

-Greydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

• 2 weeks later...

This year is looking good. The day time event will start an hour earlier and end an hour latter. from 10am till 7pm.

The Night time Pirate invasion as always starts at 6pm. When you get your 09 Baltimore Pirate Invasion Button it will enter you in to a raffle for some nice prices...

The will be a Pirates Ball at the Fredrick Duuglass Maritime Museum Friday night. The museum is right there were all the stuff is taking place. Tickets are $35 and it goes from 8pm till Midnight. The "Brigands" will be intertainment for the Ball.

There are a few other new things this year but "mums" the word till we have it nailed down...

Is there any discussion to make this a two day event?

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

The $35 is for the ball and it will include food. As to the drinks I do not no yet.

The ball was added this year so people coming in from out of town would have something to do Friday night. The ball in Black tie or pirate attire. There is no discount to do both the Ball and the Invasion. To do both wil set you back $40.00 not including your drinks at the bars and pubs.

This year we are trying to get some shanty bands in the pubs. There will be a list of bars with times and bands as the event gets closer.

Rouge has be coming to this event each year. I think so only missed the 1st one in 05.

It's a bit of an annoyance that this event is only one day... I've been really wanting to get out to Maryland for an event... But I keep running into either conflicts with the timing of the event, or the events I am free for are one day only and not worth the drive... :ph34r:

It seems you guys (and gals) party too hard out there (which is why I am guessing the events last only day)... :D Pace yourselves, then you will find that more of us out of towners might actuall be able to come to your parties and hope to arrive before they are over.

Michael_banner.jpg

If we make both Lockhouse events two days, you promise you'll show up for on of them?

B)B)

July Lockehouse is already on my calendar (or should be... runs and checks... yep it's there... Look at my Pub Profile and see!). I will be there as long as there are no real life mishaps.

Heck if I could get away with it, I would do the November one as well, but as that will be during my getting geared up for PiP time, I won't even bother claiming to try to make it to that one.

Michael_banner.jpg

This is only our 5th year.. this was just a Pub Crawl for the first 2 years. I think as it gets larger it will have to be 2 day event.

That is a challenging hurdle to cross... As to become bigger you need to draw more folks. To draw more folks, you need to be a two day event. To get permission to be a bigger two day event, you need to draw more folks... Bit of a viscous cycle? Hope you guys and gals have a brilliant time though, please toast us that can't come that want to! As to those who can't come and don't want to... Let 'em rot!

Michael_banner.jpg

Having spoken with Duncan on the phone a week or so ago, I know for a fact that the "reenactors" area will be open through Sunday for camping purposes. Last year he and his group had to break camp after the event (and I felt really sorry for them, as they have a ton of stuff) and he didn't want a repeat performance of that again this year. Given that, it isn't a huge leap to turn it into a two-day. I see the main problem as being the conflict with MTT, which is a pretty big draw for reenactors in these parts. It'll be interesting to see what the Baltimore Rangers and the Maritime Regiment of Foot do this year, because I know they were invited to come to Baltimore. I'm hoping that's where they decide to go.

My Home on the Web

If we make both Lockhouse events two days, you promise you'll show up for on of them?

:rolleyes::huh:

July Lockehouse is already on my calendar (or should be... runs and checks... yep it's there... Look at my Pub Profile and see!). I will be there as long as there are no real life mishaps.

Brilliant! I (and the rest of the Pirate Brethren) look forward to meeting you!

My Home on the Web

Having spoken with Duncan on the phone a week or so ago, I know for a fact that the "reenactors" area will be open through Sunday for camping purposes. Last year he and his group had to break camp after the event (and I felt really sorry for them, as they have a ton of stuff) and he didn't want a repeat performance of that again this year. Given that, it isn't a huge leap to turn it into a two-day. I see the main problem as being the conflict with MTT, which is a pretty big draw for reenactors in these parts. It'll be interesting to see what the Baltimore Rangers and the Maritime Regiment of Foot do this year, because I know they were invited to come to Baltimore. I'm hoping that's where they decide to go.

Are you trying to tempt me BlackJohn? I'm trying to do one event a month this year, and my first choice for April seems to be a wash (although I am still holding some mild hope it may be ressurected)... And this could be a good replacement event... Who would I need to contact/speak to about campiong arrangements and all the rest of that organizational stuff?

Michael_banner.jpg