bandannas

Pyrite

I'm new to the whole pirate reenactment concept. I stumbled upon it whilst searching for a tricorn/cocked hat to wear on a daily basis. The Gentlemen of Fortune site recommended a few hatters/milliners, and also linked to this site. So, here I am, consumed by curiosity.

In the several hours of browsing and reading about clothing in the GAoP, I don't recall once coming across even the briefest mention of anything similar to a bandanna. I was curious as to the historical accuracy of bandannas, and, if they were used during the GAoP, how they differed from contemporary versions. I'd greatly appreciate efforts to satiate my curiosity with your knowledge.

Covet not the fool's gold.

head scarves/kerchiefs were common during period they were often worn under the tricorn or by themselves they weren't called bandanna during that period that is a Hispanic/Portugese word that came into the lexicon during the cowboy era:

NOUN:

A large handkerchief usually figured and brightly colored.

ETYMOLOGY:

Probably Portuguese, from Hindi bndhn, tie-dyeing, from bndhn, to tie, from Sanskrit bandhati, he ties; see bhendh- in Indo-European roots

Pyrite

Welcome aboard, and thanks for checking out my site, glad it made an impression.

In the several hours of browsing and reading about clothing in the GAoP, I don't recall once coming across even the briefest mention of anything similar to a bandanna. I was curious as to the historical accuracy of bandannas, and, if they were used during the GAoP, how they differed from contemporary versions. I'd greatly appreciate efforts to satiate my curiosity with your knowledge

I think it depends on what you were looking for in your search. If you were googlin' Bandanna, then you probably were out of luck. In England, and in the Americas, they were known (in English) as a Handkerchief.

Its fairly easy to find evidence of handkerchiefs... just about any picture of a gaop sailor (or male civilian) for that matter has some sort of handkerchief or cravat around their necks.

What is hard to find though, are depictions of period folks wearing it "doo rag" style, that is on top of the head like a modern gang member/biker. I have found two period depictions of the on top of head style though BOTH are shown with HATS on TOP of the handkerchief..

1697A-Storck.jpg

This was painted in 1697 by Abraham Storck. Its actually an Italian port scene IIRC... but it is interesting for a lot of reasons

Short jacket (is that a blue and white checked shirt underneath?)

Slops (short style) or Petticoat Breeches with drawers or Breeches underneath.

Definitely a scarf/handkerchief under his hat, and it looks to be a tricorn/cocked hat.

The other is from the series "Cries of London" by M Lauron and shows the pin seller

104b.jpg

This is a fairly early (for GAoP anyway) picture, dating to 1687.

But again, in all my diggin and pickin' those are the only two from the GAoP i could find, and again, they both have hats over them.

Handkerchiefs around the neck are easy...

Foxe's Pirate Sailor Picture Repository has many.

What is a period Handkerchief? A cloth square, of about 1 yard to a side. In linen, calico (as in the Indian kind) or silk... watch out for patterns though, as it can date the fabric to later than GAoP, solid colors are probably best in that regard. Roll and whip stitch the edge and viola'!

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Thanks for the information. I've got a couple new questions:

What exactly is the Pirateology Handbook?

Was their any functional purpose to wearing a handkerchief around one's neck? Or was it just for looks, much like a tie today? I looked through Foxe's Pirate Sailor Picture Repository, and couldn't think of a purpose for the depicted handkerchiefs except maybe holding collars closed.

think of it as the "Duct Tape" of the GAoP....

worn for warmth...

or cool when wet...

helps keep sun off neck...

can be used as extra rope to tye things ....

used as a sling...

helps keep collar closed...

helps Hats fit tighter....

gag for victims....

dont have to comb hair....

used as a wash cloth...

can be used as a towel...

extremely fashionable....

etcetcetc...

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I do naught recall just where I read this for it was many many years ago, but one o' th' main reason for cover'n yer head before wear'n a hat was that th' sweat 'n oils from yer head will hasten th' decay o' th' material. With a good hat naught be'n cheap nay a well fit one be'n easy t' come by then matched with custom that through many a era it twas considered only proper t' have one upon ye head, this lead t' a man be'n rather possessive o' he's hat (naught just a sailor either) and therefore the notion o' head cover under th' hat developed shortly after th' hat itself....perhaps shortly after th' first ilk placed he's favorite hat upon he' noggin when he suddenly noticed a squishy gooey sensation above....'er perhaps th' first time a gent went t' tip he's hat t' a wench but found th' oils from he mop had th' rig glued in place

:rolleyes:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Hmm I had wondered on that as well.. you do see depictions, but painted later as GOF says. That said, I did think as was my own experience that it would assist in keeping your hat more snug and as men and women wore their hats much more than those of us today (with the exception of course of those of you who live in a ball cap) it would get irritating after a while. The fabric would likely aid in that comfort as well as the other issues mentioned. Plus as short hair was worn you can see the neckerchief was probably wormn in many ways on and off to keep the heat of the sun off your neck or face., sort of as MADogge said. Just a thought.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

But doesn't a linen hat liner serve that purpose? And they did have those

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I was wondering the same thing earlier, if you mean a hat liner as in the one depicted:

hatLining.jpg

(This is a picture by Patrick Hand of one of his hats.)

The hat liner does not cover the top of the head, so a handkerchief could protect the top of the hat. Also, perhaps the liner was considered a not-so-easy-to-replace part of the hat? I don't know; just a thought.

Actually they are quite simple to replace, just to let you know... and the only place my hat liner is ...ahem... soiled is right at the front where the forehead hits , and aye, could be different for different folks

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Actually they are quite simple to replace, just to let you know... and the only place my hat liner is ...ahem... soiled is right at the front where the forehead hits , and aye, could be different for different folks

But how often to ye Shampoo yer hair now Capt. Sterling? I do naught believe that regular wash'n o' one's hair twas much o' a ritual back in th' GAoP days 'n beyond and body oils can be quite corrosive t' natural fibers 'n such. In today's life yer 'cleaner' then normal hair would aid t' protect th' inside o' yer hat but back then when running water 'n soaps where naught a daily feature in life ye may find th' inside o' her noggin cover quit different. A bandanna would would be much easier t' clean then a hat liner (thou I am sure th' more expensive hats then had them as well) as well as a convenient and functional item even when th' hat was naught worn - drop it around yer neck t' keep th' wind off, we know they did that as well, and t' wipe yer hands or yer pistol or blade (much cheaper t' replace a dew rag then a full shirt or yer breeches), AND, aye, ye can still use it t' silence them noisy wenches as well :lol:

::ducks a fly'n pink high-heeled boot::

Hey! Who Threw That???

Hmmm considering I don't wash my hair prior to or during an event, although I have been known to end up under water now and then during, casn't say I have ever worn my hat with clean hair, BUT granted tis not like not washing one's hair for weeks on end...

as to the sig picture, my hair hadn't been cleaned in three days...

the problem being, we can think up tons of great reasons for using them, but evidence so far, doesn't support the common use of them by sailors from the GAoP as head coverings, the one picture William Red Wake originally found, so far, unfortunately is about the only one ever posted in Twill that could possibly be a sailor... although I sure would like to find more...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

hmmm, I do naught know about "common use" me self, seems as I can naught recall any period o' time that 'dew rags' could be classified as 'common use' at all, naught even t'day as I look around, nor even th' wild west day as then they were called neckerchiefs and tend'd t' be worn around th' neck (er one's face when ye went t' bank fer a 'withdraw').

With that said I would have t' consed and say nay, bandannas were naught, nor never have been 'common place' attire. But fer Mad L they just wear well, serve their intended use, have been seen (at least once) in period. Just like me sash, which I have found serves well for many purposes rather then just look'n cool (wiping me hands, clean'n me pistol's frizzen 'n me sword, tie'n down a wench who would otherwise run away...).

::stand'n heroically with hands on hips::

:blink:

as to the sig picture, my hair hadn't been cleaned in three days...

You straight-haired people are lucky--your hair still looks clean after three days of negligence. With my curls, my hair is usually significantly knotted at the end of the day, especially after any sort of physical exertion. If I left it alone for three days, it'd probably knot around my neck and choke the life out of me.

To bring a previous question to the forefront, what exactly is the Pirateology Handbook?

Edited by Pyrite

• 3 weeks later...

cripes allmighty- case of the stupid hand tonight, sorry folks.

anyhow what i wanted to say.....

from the world of dutch's practical common sense....

i am convinced that durring the GAoP that harbor bottoms were littered with hats. while there is plenty of proof that they were worn, I am amazed that noone depicted a wayward soul chasing their hat down the beach or perhaps some of the sailors looking longinly to sea are remeniscing about thier favorite lost cover.

A question I always ask folks who cary TONS of stuff around because you must have the hanging skulls and spare tankard hanging from the belt is where do you store your gear aboard ship and how do you work without getting fowled? Hats fall under this mystery realm. they are rather large and non-compactable if you wish to keep them in form, where do they go for the common sailor who has a seabag???? another issue. Lice cuts- think about it. you have six months to a years growth up there with nice soft delicate skin under it. your tired of the little freeloaders so you shave it off. prime sunburnin is left. you have to have a cover for obvious comfort reasons but a tricorn in the topsil will be lost. a work cap or rag would fit the bill nicely.

I believe that work caps and rags as head covers were greatly under-romanticized.