Crew and Group Representatives

William Brand

The subject of camp coordination, and specifically delegates of representatives from each camp, has been discussed in more than one thread in this sub-forum, but it needs to be addressed once more in preparation for Pirates in Paradise.

Any crew or group camping in or out of the fort should pick a representative to meet with their representatives from other camps each morning and evening to discuss the matters of the day, schedule and any other instructions being sent down from the fort to the re-enactors. This person should be picked by each group and the name of that person should be added to the list here, so that Harry and the other park rangers will no who needs to be contacted for any important information.

This person does not have to be the Captain or leader of said group, but it should be someone willing to take on the responsibility of receiving and distributing the information in a timely manner.

As I will not be in attendance, someone must be chosen from the Mercury crew to take my place in this regard.

Once chosen, these representatives, both inside and outside the fort, must decide on a time and location to meet daily for the purpose of distributing information, i.e. weapons inspections, battle times, parade schedules, etc. You may choose to call this meeting whatever you wish...Officer's muster...Meeting before the Mast...what have you. This meeting should be consistent and should be followed by the distribution of information to your respective crews and groups. Please have a pen and paper or some other appropriate period marking instrument for taking notes, so that no information is mislaid or misunderstood. It would also be beneficial to have several runners for the overall encampments to run messages at a moment's notice. Also, you might consider the exchange of cell phone numbers from the various crew representatives as well as the park rangers for the purpose of maintaining communication.

Please be certain to make yourselves known to one another upon arrival and avail yourself of all park regulations and special permissions granted to visitors and campers. The strong working relationship that we have worked so hard to establish must be nurtured and maintained year to year for the benefit of future participants.

The List:

The Archangel - (1720):

Captain Sterling

M.A.d'Dogge

The Blackheart crewe - Port Royal (1681):

Hurricane

Diosa (aka Mary Read) - 321-537-6874

The Cursed Few:

Crew of the Fairge lolair:

Callenish Gunner - 814-221-5327 or 5326

The Mercury - (1720):

Captain Jim

Mission

Michael

The Crewe of the Sacred Heart:

Quartermaster Fayma Callahan - 812-290-6056

South Florida Pirates:

Capt. Gunn - 954-557-8857

Unaffiliated pirates or groups which are not camping in the park should see Quartermaster Nigel of the Bone Island Buccaneers for instructions and information.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

The Pyrates of the Coast will have one of the two or both in attendance:

Hurricane, Captain

Diosa, His Conscience & Translator

Diosa's cell is 321-537-6874

I never answer my cell phone so why bother.

Our crewe is used to being bossed around by us.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I would suggest a standing time each morning, say 8:30 or 9 a.m. to go over everything. It can be a standing meeting at the mess tent in the fort, which will be easy for everyone to find.

In the evening everyone is headed off to town or not of a mind to listen. Better to get them fresh and be able to bring them all up to date on anything that has changed overnight.

My main concern are those who are not affiliated with anyone and decide to jump in an ad lib at the last minute. Those are the ones we need to get our arms around each day. I remind everyone of the guard who had a real knife held to his throat last year during the trial. The rogues and unaffiliateds are more problematic than anyone in any of the encampments on site.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

To add to William is talking about, there will be an internal schedule for participants. It lists two captain's meetings each day (one in the morning before the event opens and the other at the end of the day before we hit the pub) and one black powder inspection meeting which will be held immediately after the morning captain's meeting. Our morning meeting will be to go over the day's events. The evening meeting will be to go over the day's events and see what needs to be tweaked or tossed. I've been to many a captain's meeting and other meetings at events, so I assure you these will not be long and they will stay on point and nobody will be yelled at. These meetings are meant for two-way discussion--unlike some I have attended at other events. Each meeting is scheduled for a 30-minute time period. That should be more than enough time to take care of biz. The black powder meetings are mandatory for those will shoot. Safety inspections will take place at these meetings.

Captains and/or crewe reps can coordinate anything they need either thru me or the Bone Island Buccaneer's Quartermaster, Iron Nigel. Y'all have me cell phone number from the registration form and will be included in the information I will mail out to all next week.

Edited by Harry

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

Can we get a set time for the evening meeting each day?

Looking at the schedule, Thursday has most of the pirates off site at the Walk the Plank (4 to 5) followed by the Buffet at El Meson (6 to 8). I think most will just stay in town between the two events.

Friday's easy, except for those our on the WOLF. Otherwise we're at the fort anyway for the ball.

Saturday, we lose a large number to the parade after the festival ends and the parade begins at 7. If I recall, most people left after the event closed at the fort to get ready for it. I think about six of our crewe was all that was left in the fort that day when the gates closed.

Don't want to be a pain -- just want to make sure everyone is at what they need to be at. For our own crewe, someone is always on watch at the encampment, and can meet in our stead.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

My main concern are those who are not affiliated with anyone and decide to jump in an ad lib at the last minute. Those are the ones we need to get our arms around each day. I remind everyone of the guard who had a real knife held to his throat last year during the trial. The rogues and unaffiliateds are more problematic than anyone in any of the encampments on site.

-- Hurricane

Aye. Most certainly, aye.

Perhaps we can have someone from the Bone Island Buccaneers volunteer specifically to rally the unaffiliated attendees. That way if anyone asks, we know where to send them.

Quartermaster Nigel will be responsible for the "unaffiliated."

The morning meeting is at 9am followed by safety meeting at 9:30. The evening meeting is at, I believe, 5:30 (I don't have the schedule with me as I'm on the home comp). Those who may other committments will have to get the info shared at the meeting from one of their crewe members. I've scheduled the safety meetings for the morning because of the fact there are so many "other" things folks have to do. Those shooting while on the Wolf will have to have someone else check their weapons while on-board, although I and my staff will be happy to do a check. My concern is the shooting within the park.

I understand we have a lot of things going on. I just want to make sure everyone will be on the same page of the program.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

-------

That sounds like a great plan Harry. We will make sure we have a rep at both meeting and all shooters at the safety meeting for inspection and orientation.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

put down:

crewe of the Archangel

Sterling & M.A.d'Dogge

unless the other Capn' has a quarell wit it??? :unsure:

thought not....

Capn', Capn'.....leftenant

That's it!! Make me walk all over that bloody island more than I 'ave to!!!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

As per William Red Wake...

I agree with you Jim and you know our crew is more than open to bringing last minute folks to an event, but we still need the last minute folks to be on the same page... I do not wish to sound as if over regulating... as we have always tried our hardest to find things to do even for newbies... just trying to keep things safe tis all.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

And Hurricane.. put some soldiers in the crowd... haul off the pirates that should know better and toss em in the jail... or at least whisper in their ear and ask them to be quiet...I suppose the best would be to just ignore them and have folks around the stage to keep them from doing something stupid...

Crewe of the Archangel

I think that's a good idea. I know that Harry is hoping to do the trial inside this year, where the two jail cells are in the barracks area. Perhaps we can use one of them for the rabble rousers in the crowd and put them in the holding cell if they decide to adlib and be disruptive. Hopefully, I will have two of our fellows (one is 6'5 about 300 pounds and the other is a police officer) in soldier garb to help out this year.

-- Hurricane

For others, here's the post that was in the Mercury Crew thread that we're referencing...

Yes, I would agree. I know that Cascabel, Diosa and some of the cast of the Anne and Mary trial were very pissed about some of the antics going on during the play. Not only was there the knife incident, but talks among some of the re-enactors about rushing the stage and freeing the girls.

First, this is their performance, not ours. We should be respectful and let them do their show for the audience and quit interrupting it.

Second, pirates and villagers of the time would be anxious to have them hung. If someone were stupid enough to yell for their release, they would be hung as well as pirates. In Jamaica at the time, the tide had turned against pirates and toward the plantation owners, who were more than happy to hang this rabble. It cheapens the value of the show to constantly yell louder than the actors can speak and it certainly isn't correct to yell for their release. And it is downright disrepectful to those who work hard on putting something together for PiP.

If you you so desperately want to be in a "show," create one yourself. Don't invite yourself into something you're not asked to be part of.

As for the safety inspections, I know they are all hands for those who want to shoot. I think that should also be the case for anyone wishing to use the fight circle or do any combat. The swords should be inspected as well. Back in the day, I've had several snap off (before learning what a combat sword was) and it could have injured someone. Again, the freelancers are the biggest worry, since they don't answer to anyone in a crewe. To Harry and Nigel yes, thankfully.

I just want us all to be on the same page so we can have fun this year and be safe.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Representatives, please tell the members of your crew that the safety meeting is mandatory for anyone participating in combat scenarios, battles, small performances, demos and any other event involving weapons. Please don't wait until PIP to tell them that there will be safety meetings every day. Remind them and now and remind them often that the meetings are mandatory. Repetition breeds understanding.

You might even ask people who aren't carrying weapons to be there, because you never know when someone who isn't shooting a gun might remind someone who is what they should and shouldn't do. I'm loathe to admit one of my own failings, but even after attending several safety meetings last year, I still forgot one primary instruction during combat, because I got 'caught up in the moment'. We all need to watch one another. We can't afford to forget anything.

Harry has set the time for 9:30 AM following the instruction meetings every day. Start spreading the word.

Note: For pirates in the beach encampments, you must remember to leave as much as 30 minutes early in order to walk to the safety meetings in the fort, depending on how fast you can walk. Do not leave the beach at 9:30 to attend a 9:30 meeting. The safety officers should not have to repeat themselves because of stragglers.

Note: For pirates in the beach encampments, you must remember to leave as much as 30 minutes early in order to walk to the safety meetings in the fort, depending on how fast you can walk. Do not leave the beach at 9:30 to attend a 9:30 meeting. The safety officers should not have to repeat themselves because of stragglers.

Excellent note and may I add, IF a meeting time is canceled or moved to another time slot, please remember to let us know well in advance taking into consideration that same time needed to get back to the meeting and an additional time allowed is needed to get the message to us...I remember last year, a messenger came and said the meeting was moved, by the time he reached us, the meeting was already over...snigger....

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

And Hurricane, once we see what our schedule is... we might be able to help with yer crowd control... I shall let you know when we get down there... As for the little ones, remember that lad that wanted to "help",,, all it took was a few pirate coins to get him distracted and away from the back of the stage...

Crewe of the Archangel

To all, last year I made a pledge to you at the end of the event to improve our communication for '08 regarding event scheduling and such. After attending a few events where I saw first hand how communication between organizers and participants was handled, I am more determined to make sure all will know what is going on--whether it be schedule changes or where the meetings take place. This event cannot be successful without that communication.

Regarding fight circle participants, we will check blades or whatever is used prior to getting into the fight circle. Our Fight Master will be in charge of that. I like the idea of combining that inspection with the black powder inspection. I will get with our Fight Master to work out those details.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

-------

To all, last year I made a pledge to you at the end of the event to improve our communication for '08 regarding event scheduling and such. After attending a few events where I saw first hand how communication between organizers and participants was handled, I am more determined to make sure all will know what is going on--whether it be schedule changes or where the meetings take place. This event cannot be successful without that communication.

Agreed Harry and we know you are working hard to make each event better than the last... by communicating now we hope to be more on the same page by the time we get there, as well as hoping to make your job a bit easier. Besides it gives us all something to talk about...snigger.

Crewe of the Archangel