The Search Function

Mission

I am a big fan of search functions on forums as I sometimes use them to type in things I want to use later or copy into my notes. But have you ever had the problem where you search a forum and you come up with a thread with dozens of pages of replies? The forum (so far) doesn't take you directly to the page where the search term came up. However, I stumbled across something that may be helpful just now.

If you are inside of a particular thread, you can search that thread only and the search function will produce all the posts that contain the word you want. So rather than clicking through dozens of the pages, all you have to do is select the thread containing the term and do a second search within that thread. It kinda' sucks because you have to do two searches, but it saves a lot of work on subjects like the two "Random Topics" threads in the Beyond Pyracy forum.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey Mission, would you consider this fixed and working now?

The search function seems to be working fine now.

My only gripe would be that it was actually a little (but only a wee, small little) better when it only found the threads containing the search word when searching on the forum level and the posts inside the threads when searching on the thread level.

Minor, minor, minor...probably not even worth the time it would cost you to investigate. In fact, it's really more of a "my 2ยข" thing than an actual complaint.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 year later...

Yep, it appears to be. Thanks for fixing it again. It's a nice feature to have available, especially in Twill.

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 year later...

Well it looks like we've got another search engine issue. . . I'll get on it as soon as I can.

Ahoy, Stynky!

I tried to search for the rope sandals just now, and got this error message.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@pyracy.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I get messages like that occasionally, but when hit the backpage key and retry it, it works fine.

Mission_banner5.JPG