Airship Pyrates....

Patrick Hand

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG Rats, great links!

Hey, Patrick, it looks like you've got the makings of a crew here! Maybe you better get a name for that airship and sign us all on. :rolleyes:

So far, I've got my short top hat, and WWII Woman's land army coat (kinda looks like a army-brown duster/trench coat), saddle brown boots with heels, and lots a jewelry (duh!). Still need some kind of skirt or pants, and waist cincher. I'm also going to make some kind of lace blouse, so that I can rip it up and make it all ratty (not you, Rats) looking. I can use my pirate belts, pouches, etc, since they are pretty generic.

Look I'm going for is sorta Mad Max meets Victorian, with a bit of 1500 Venetian fantasy thrown in for spice. Weapons so far are just my cutlass, and a misericord dagger. We have a couple of Army surplus stores around town, so after the first of the year, I'm going to go check them out, see what I can scrounge up.

Fun, fun, fun.... ;)

BTW, just watched the movie Stardust again. Loved the airship. Also a good source of airship pirate costume ideas.

!!!Oh, hey, one of you guys could dress like Robert D's "secret" persona in that movie. LOL

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Gotta think warm clothing for high altitudes and winds aloft.

I'm not sure if I want to add some fur on the vest or not... I already pulled out the insulation on the jacket (kinda like the problem we have with wearing a wool Pyrate coat in July or in Key West... too hot...) But a large fur collar on it might work.....

True about the belts... But for that price you get the buckles and the leather to make some cool belt rigs or a bandoleer???

Hummm. didn't think of that... I was looking at the buckles and thinking that they would look really cool with an Airship Pyrate Crew badge or insignia soldiered or epoxied on them...

So far, I've got my short top hat, and WWII Woman's land army coat...

We're going to have to start posting picture when we get stuff further along.....

Even Work in Progress (WIP) photos might get more Pyrates playing.......

Hey, Patrick, it looks like you've got the makings of a crew here! Maybe you better get a name for that airship and sign us all on.

That sounds like a great idea.... Now my mind is buzzing with some fun ideas.......

I might be able to get some patches made... not that we would ever be able to get together as a crew... but it would be kinda fun for the Airship Pyrate Crew of the xxxx to maybe invade the Brass Goggles Forum... ;) (At least let them know that there is a thread about Airship Pyrates here...)

Yikes!, that sounds great, if we could all pull it off. Since you've already been there, you'd kinda have to be the guide/captain for sure, though.

Even if it didn't happen, it would still be fun to try.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Burning Man is a Hot... dusty... and icky environment....

It takes a bit of boo-boo, (and some help from your friends/camp mates) to get thought it......

But it is a happily weird kinda thing....

It cost about $280 just for tickets.... you gotta bring alla your food and water with you....(and tote it all out) (and get there....)

It's kinda sorta like a survival camp... but with a buncha friends having a good time... (and really weird/cool stuff to look at...)

It's kinda hard to describe.... but if you can survive it, it's a buncha fun..... (heck... it isn't as much of a hustle as Basic Training... but it is different...and it will "tax " you....)

PiP is great, because I get to meet a buncha Pytates I've only been able to type at, or see once a year..... But a group of Airship Pyrates at Burning Man would be a whole buncha (hot dusty) fun....

We haven't typed much lately.... but the Brass Goggles thread on Yahoo, is where we kinda got everything together for last year....

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brassgoggles/

And for a bunch of newbies (at Burning Man).... we did a hellofa good job/showing....

Airship Pyrates could do even better.......

Aaack... who would wanna buy an old flack jacket? dang.... they were hot, and didn't really stop anything anyway....

Sorry... knee-jerk reaction....... :D

I won't be doing much Airship Pyrate stuff until I get back from PiP... (and I gotta sharpen my cutlass before then... something about a hair(s) cut...)

Maybe you better get a name for that airship and sign us all on.

I'm still trying to think of a good name for a Pyrate Airship....

How about Columbia's Revenge

Columbia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with Colombia, the country in South America.

Columbia (name) is a poetic name for the United States of America and the feminine personification thereof.

Victoria's Revenge only works for English Airships...... :blink:

I'd suggest finding a name or discription and translating it to chinese or russian or something like that...

I had a car I called The Mala Suerte (probably spelt wrong)... Translated to.... yep!!

The Bad Luck... But initially it sounded and looked good on paper

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I wore my short top hat out Christmas shopping yesterday. I had put a bit of glittery Christmas floral decoration in the band. Boy, did I get a lot of .... looks. One lady in the cosmetic department of Gottshalks walked over and said, "Now that hat makes a statement!" I kinda smiled and replied, "Yeah, and the statement changes, depending on what mood I'm in." LOL

Oh, the joy of living in an ultra-conservative town. <_<

And Patrick, I like Columbia's Revenge, but like Rat's said, maybe say it in another language. I would suggest French or Italian. I think Chinese or Russian would be too hard to pronounce. You'd end up pointing at your airship and saying, "That big floaty thing with sails." <_<

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

And Patrick, I like Columbia's Revenge, but like Rat's said, maybe say it in another language. I would suggest French or Italian. I think Chinese or Russian would be too hard to pronounce. You'd end up pointing at your airship and saying, "That big floaty thing with sails." <_<

Columbia's Revenge in French = Revanche De Columbe (Pronounced "REV-awnsh duh COLE-umb")

It would have been great to watch the reactions to you in the top hat in the mall... <_<

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

And Patrick, I like Columbia's Revenge, but like Rat's said, maybe say it in another language. I would suggest French or Italian. I think Chinese or Russian would be too hard to pronounce. You'd end up pointing at your airship and saying, "That big floaty thing with sails." :rolleyes:

Columbia's Revenge in French = Revanche De Columbe (Pronounced "REV-awnsh duh COLE-umb")

It would have been great to watch the reactions to you in the top hat in the mall... :rolleyes:

I'm used to it. I wear hats all the time, from fancy to fedoras. It's fun! I've also made hats. It's kinda in my DNA, as my grandmother was a milliner.

And Rats, what a great site! I tried to get into the link, but it wouldn't give access without logging in. I went to their home page, and could navigate from there, so, what forum and thread were you linking to? I'll try again. And, what is your name on that forum...or is it a secret? :D

Anyway, ya just gotta luv the internet. :rolleyes:

Edit: The Observation Bar, where that Steam Punk discussion is taking place, is only accessible to registered members of the forum.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

And Patrick, I like Columbia's Revenge, but like Rat's said, maybe say it in another language.

But in another language would defeat the purpose... So many things Steampunk are based off England and the Victorians... I figure that since we are in the U.S. an American name would be more fitting. Not exactly Wierd West, but what was going on in North America during the time....

The Flag of the California Republic

CAFlag.gif

And a letter of marque from Emperor Norton

NortonMarque.jpg

That sorta thing...... :blink:

Okay, works for me. :ph34r: But I can't read the motto at the bottom of the flag. (Need new glasses maybe?)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

For the logo for the Columbia's Revenge, you could take the classic picture of the Goddess (think Columbia Pictures) then punk her out into an airship babe. :D

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I just found this thread!

I had an interesting conversation with a complete stranger about the steampunk genre. He told me that he had gone to DragonCon this year, and out of all of the costumes there, the steampunk ones were what he remembered best. He said it nearly gave him goosebumps to see such a cool mix of styles. I'm definitely interested in seeing where this one goes!

This is one of my favorite pics I've found so far:

steamheat-1.jpg

MaeBar-1.png

The world stands out on either side

No wider than the heart is wide.

~E. Millay

Wow.... now that we have a forum just for Airship Pyrates, I better get back to work on the leather vest so I have something cool to post.......

I also have to get to the hardware store and pick-up some tubing so I can start on the sub-gattling gun.... I have most of it figured out, not to get alla the parts and make th' thing....

Wow, other than the goggles, that's what my top hat looks like! Okay, it might be a hair shorter, but not much. I was going to wear it today (along with my vintage 1940s, wine-red, floor-length wool coat) to my writer's group Christmas lunch, but.....I GOT SNOWED IN!!!! Gaaah!! Nasty, icky white shyte!

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I started to work on the insignia for The Columbia's Revenge

This is the picture I will work from...

columbia-1.jpg

I might add a cutlass and pistol....and maybe some goggles.... :P

But I'm having a problem with the Latin translation....

"Death to those who would Oppress up"

in Babble fish it came out

Nex illis quisnam onero nos

But when I back checked it, I got.... "Violent death by those quidnam to load me".....

:P:P I kinda like "Violent death by those quidnam." I wonder what a quidnam is? :P

We could call ourselves the mighty Fighting Quidnam!.........or not.....? LOL

Can't wait to see what you do to Ms Columbia. :P

RAKEHELL-1.jpg