What's in your art chest?

Pew

Favorite supplies?

What medium's do you prefer?

What's your 'go to' design when you're short of time?

Any neat ideas/ tricks you like to use to make your entry unique?

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

art chest = colored pens, pencils, chalks, watercolor, arylic, oils, inks, fabrics, beads (glass and semiprecious), wood carving, wood burning, drawing/drafting supplies, collage pastes, various papers, etc.

short of time ... medium is according to subject matter.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

pencils, inks, needle, thread and fabric

when time is short, grab a pencil... but then I have been known to sew a Nagra tape recorder back together when out on a shoot.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

with some of the paintings I use construction paper underneath and do a ribbon frame

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

Paints- acrylics, water colors and some oils

Beads

Pencils both colored and regular

Charcoals

modeling clay

paint brushes cheap to expensive depending on the project

cleaners

pipe cleaners

trims and fabrics

needles and thread

Fabrics/Canvas

And that is just my little box..I am currently expanding my bigger box...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I currently have a milk crate full of inks, pencils, stamps, pens, etc, and a 12-pack box full of papers:construction, etc.

What do you guys have to keep it all together and somewhat organized?

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Organized???? huh??

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I use'd t' do a lot o' graphite pencil 'n carbothelo drawin (still have a bunch o' stuff from late night guard duty shifts in th' Army), I like th' carbothelo, great for blending effects. Then for some time I painted miniatures so I had many paints, then for some time it was color'd thread for restoring old fishing poles (and anything I could wrap up...like th' girl next door); but now a days it be mostly just a computer 'n when I be in a hurry I just grab a camera :blink:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I started with a tool box but quickly outgrew it..I would love to have a Trunk so I could make wooden bins or trays for my stuff.

Check on eBay - they often have wooden carpenter's chests that are perfect for this sort of thing. They can even have layers of sliding trays inside. I have one like that and I got it for a REALLY reasonable price.

Here's a couple of pics of it:

Toolbox02.jpg

Toolbox01.jpg

Gotta love eBay!

Edited by Red-Handed Jill

RHJMap.jpg

I started with a tool box but quickly outgrew it..I would love to have a Trunk so I could make wooden bins or trays for my stuff.

Check on eBay - they often have wooden carpenter's chests that are perfect for this sort of thing. They can even have layers of sliding trays inside. I have one like that and I got it for a REALLY reasonable price.

Toolbox01.jpg

Gotta love eBay!

Great find!

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

Those items previously listed are just the ones I keep at my home. I have a small shop with the rest of m'stuff.

OH on previous list forgot to mention the sandpaper, small saw and such. Also, I do have some beads made of bone.

Items kept at home are in stackable totes with lockable lids, within them I keep similar items together (yes organized) in zip lock bags. I started that when it began to get to a point of couldn't find things without digging into everything.

The small shop I got only recently and am still trying to get that organized. Shop cost...Very reasonable as rents go. The shop is in an artists village building down near the river. The city is constructing a park nearby and the owners of the building is looking into getting an art fair event going after the park is opened.

Edited by Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

I use mostly pen and ink (well and a pencil and eraser) I have a small pouch that I made that I attach to the clipboard.... it's getting kinda grungy now.... I might have to make a new one (and this time. I'll add even more pockets for stuff, 'cause there is alway something else that I want in th' thing....)

But for cartooning, in the pouch are...... A 00/.30 Rapidograph.... A black "Le Pen"... a Fine Point "Sharpie" (I gotta get a new on, I use th' Sharpie for filling in the black areas..... but this one is running outta ink) ... a 0.5 Rotring mechanical pencil. a bottle of black Rapidograph India Ink, an eraser, and a chunk of toilet paper to clean off the tip of the Rapidograph when it leaks......

Other than for the sketchbooks, most of what I draw is scanned onto the computer and colored in Photoshop.... so I just use cheap printer paper to draw on.

Alla the other stuff is in th' "Art Drawer".... paint, imitation gold leaf, glue, Sculpy... anything for art projects.... I have two other drawers for tools for heaver projects.....

my art work ??? mostly work with wood - alot of construction at the house, different colors - what i think would blend together nicely as i redo the outside of the house, my imagination - coming up with the beat-all-end-all deck design,metal - for doing body work on cars, paint - for painting said cars, fiberglass - for boat repair, paint again- for said boats,

would like to think my canvas work is an art, but then no one else has seen it yet !!! my 35mm camera - i have alot of very good shots, but they are far between, landscaping - learned alot on our yard

not really "artwork" per say, but i like to think that a beautifully done anything is a work of art, whether it is a painting, an orchesteral piece, sculpture- a knife can be a work of art, a design of a deck, or landscape design.

other than that, i can't draw worth a crap, can't dance, can't sing, can't tell great stories... oh well :blink:

It depends on which medium I'm playing around in.

• ● A fishing tackle box full of oil-based model paints, brushes, model glue etc.
    ● A drawer full of watercolor colored pencils. (I much prefer the smearable pencils. You can do some really neat blending things when you draw.)
    ● A box full supplies for haunted house props that looks like a junk kit - paint brushes, giant rubber bands, tape, toilet paper (my favorite haunted house medium), paper mache embedded linen, fabric stiffener, various knives & chisels, air brushes and equipment as well as many other curious odds and ends for making props.
    ● A sister box full of cables, pulleys, eyehooks, ropes, tensioners and whatnot. (Lots of whatnot.)
    ● A storage container full of water-based paints, brushes and so forth.

And I don't even want to start to explain all the woodworking junk I've got strewn about the house and garage for cabinet-making and similar things. There's probably more that I'm not thinking of. It depends on what hobby is taking my fancy.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

:D Ummm, it would be easier for me to list the stuff I don't have — like oil paints. I have TONS of stuff, most organized in stacking Rubbermaid storage units with drawers. Walls of them. I should buy stock in Rubbermaid. I love the carpenter's chest Jill posted a pic of, but I'd need a dozen of them, at the very least. Sheesh, I still use paintbrushes I've had since I was in my twenties—and they look it! LOL

Partial list:

Sharpie pens

watercolor pencils

watercolor crayons

regular color pencils - three different sets

oil pastels

chalk

acrylic paints

acrylic gel medium

rubber stamps

ink pads

embossing powder

tons of clip art from magazines

stickers

misc stuff - fake coins, restaurant coasters, feathers, fake gems, etc

glitter

glitter glue

small make-up sponges for applying paint

stencils — letters and designs

And now my own photographs that I mess around with in Photoshop.

Honestly, I'll literally throw anything into a picture if I can get it to stick. (There's probably a joke there, but...)

This is just the art stuff. There is also the sewing stuff, and the jewelry stuff! :D

And Lady Cassandra, I am sooooo jealous that you have a whole shop to use as a studio. Let's hope the landlord is successful in getting an art fair going. You'd be sitting pretty for sure!

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I have a plethora of places where I keep my creative works supplies. Besides boxes of supplies and tools in the attic and garage, I have overflowing baskets above and beneath my worktable, a fishing tackle box, a small antique Chinese box, some antique spice boxes and this (the only thing I have a picture of):

Chinesechest.jpg

Woodworking tools, wood (lots), sewing and embroidery accoutrement (LOTS), paints (watercolour, gouache and acrylic), a plethora of brushes, coloured pencils, Rapidograph pens, pastels and found items, such as silver beads, ribbon and shark teeth I used to collect when I used to dive in a shark tank.

Edited by Red-Handed Jill

RHJMap.jpg

I've pottery tools, woodworking tools, sewing machine (lots of thread and related stuff), embroidery and cross stich items, tracing paper, paints (watercolor, oil, acrylic), pastels, crayons, markers (regular, stinky and fabric), colored pencils, stencils (pyrate and halloween), stamps (and a plethora of ink), pewter seals and wax, metal beads and threading, calligraphy pens, various bits of paper (oriental, old west, construction, frames), wire (copper, green, black), a tracing box, dremmel tool and a drafting table, and I've yet to get all of the smaller items under control on my poor dining room table. Got the sewing bits 'n bobs and stamps secured in two rubbermaid tubs though. I guess that's a start.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

:D Jill

By any chance did ya happen to get that there chinese box from the Antique Mall on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks?

It looks like the one I had me eye on before I left to come back to OH. I went there to put me money down on it and someone else had piffer'd it.

If'n it twas you glad it went to someone who really would appreciate the fine item.

:D

Edited by Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...