Favorite Art Books

Ransom

By favorite books, I mean the ones you keep as eye candy, or for reference on different techniques and methods. Or even ones that inspire you, which might be something other than a book strictly on art. You might also mention if the book is still in print.

So post your favs. I'll start.

I believe all of these are still in print.

Anything by Nick Bantock, but especially the Griffin and Sabine series, or The Venetians Wife.

Artists' Journals & Sketchbooks by Lynne Perrella - Soft cover.

al.pha.bet.i.ca An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists by Lynne Perrella - Soft cover.

The last two books have great eye candy, but also great tips on techniques for using different mediums, and also unique ways to transfer images to a page.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I like t' do CGI, for inspiration 'n body study I have a whole lot from SQP Inc, they have...rather had (I have!) about four volumes of Pirates, also a series on mermaids too!

Most costumes would be really easy t' make as well, just need a bit o' dental floss...naught even that sometimes! :D

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I have a few.

Making Memory books by Hand, by Feliciano and Thompson

The Decorated page, by Gwen Diehn

The Art of Sailor Jerry

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• 1 month later...

While this has absolutely nothing of any sort to do with pyracy...

my favorite book of art is

<h1 class="parseasinTitle">H. R. Giger's Necronomicon</h1>the visual styles are totally amazing and many of my own works (sadly they are only collages) are of a style that may be considered "similar"...

Cheers!