What brought you here?

Mission

What clued you in to the existence of the pub? In my case, it was Ed Foxe who was on another forum with me and recommended that I check this place out.

What drew you into sailing about these waters?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'm not exactly sure on the details.... But I think it went something like this.

I was getting rather frustrated and fed up with the politics and gossip and other useless nonsense that permeated the Norse re-enacting circles I used to run in... and wanted to try a difference period. I was actually debating between musketeer era and pirate era (although a return to War of 1812 re-enacting for me was an option as well), and using google to try and find groups and/or forums that I could get onto to learn more and by learning more to help me make a decision. The Pyracy Pub at that time came up fairly high on the list of the search for "pirate reenactment" (or maybe it was "pirate reenactors"? or some other derivative?)... So I signed on, read a lot, asked a bunch of questions, learned tons, eventually started to learn where to go and what to look for to answer my own questions.... etc. etc, etc,

For the record, pirate era won out over musketeer era stuff for me. :lol: Although I still may dip my toes into the waters of earlier 17th century re-enacting eventually... AND also get back into the War of 1812 stuff as well (there seems to be a good number of War of 1812 events in Ohio where I now live).

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

With me it was kinda the same. I had gotten pretty fed up with the SCA, and dropped out of it right before we moved to Oregon. Up here, we just had too much work to do on our place, so for about ten years, did no type of reenactment at all.

After the first POTC movie came out, I was cruising the web for Pirate sites, because I remembered there had been a pirate reenactment group down in So. Calif, and thought there might be others. Stumbled on the Pub by accident/luck, hung out as a lurker for about two months before registering.

Since then I've met a lot of really great people, some in person, some just in PMing and posting, and I've learned a lot about a whole period in history that I was not that familiar with. If I had to choose an alternate persona, I think I'd like the whole Highwayman thing. It would give me an excuse to have horses again. :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

What clued you in to the existence of the pub?

What drew you into sailing about these waters?

Like dude, I was totally websurfin, fer sure. I was shooting the curl on a gnarly webseach and POW, I woke up in the Pub, fer sure.

Since that time thanks to the efforts of many a Lad and Lass, me speakin be improvin and I be a stayin right har, don’t’cha know.

-Greydog

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Destiny ! :D

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Destiny is sort of vague...merely a cog in the mechanics that produce action.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I sorta swam in..again surfin the net and lookin for all things Pirate and have since made me home here and I have a vacation home as well..The tavern... :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I was recoverin from surgery and found out I had ta get a damn computer to go back to school and re-train for a new profession. (never used one before that) So, I had waaaay too much time on my hands and just started lookin around. Found m'self hooked so that's that. I was pretty ticked at the way the pub floundered and went poof, but I gotta give STYNKY credit, he has done a fyne job with the staff of getting things squared away.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

I can't remember how I found out about No Quarter Given...maybe I typed in Pirate and found it... anyway, after subscribing, I read about the Pub... The first few times I tried to log on it didn't work.... but being th' tenacious stubborn cuss that I am, I kept trying until I could log on....

I'd just officially quit working at MNRF and was googling my way around the internet wondering what I wanted as a replacement when I came across the pub. At the time it was small and no one cared that I lurked and was occasionally pithy. Then authority was bestowed upon me it was all down hill from there. I still hide in the weeds. A lot. I've stayed because of the great variety of things people discuss here and the ways in which that discussion is accomplished. I also appreciate that this is a small online community of people who by and large know each other in real life. That really alters the sterotypical online interaction into something I find appealing. All that inspite of the fact that I don't know anyone here in real life. B)B) Though there are a number of you I'd like to meet.

I believe I first heard about this place via Jamaica Rose and the old Pirates-L. I didn't join right away, but lurked for quite awhile. Not sure what prompted me to join. I suspect it had something to do with recruiting pirates. As to why I stayed... well... people grow on you, even virtual people.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Mine's kind of embarrising to admit... :blink:

I had a pretty stupid crush on a guy who worked as a pirate at a Renn Faire and I was stalking him online. I thought for sure he must be very piratey and frequent this forum..... luckly I was wrong! ;)

I've since stopped stalking people

Edited by Rogue Mermaid

I also appreciate that this is a small online community of people who by and large know each other in real life. That really alters the sterotypical online interaction into something I find appealing. All that inspite of the fact that I don't know anyone here in real life. ;);) Though there are a number of you I'd like to meet.

And so... (now you can finish the sentence. It has something to do with the Ottoman empire). ;)

:blink:

Mission_banner5.JPG

I was researching Anne Bonny for a story I was working on and I found the Pub via No Quarter Given, which I found though a search engine (even BEFORE Google). I lurked a few months and then joined, figuring I would ask lots of historical questions and do research for my writing. Instead, I got totally sucked into the Pirate Life, and before long I was hooked up with Merrydeath and The Fool's Gold crew and, long story short, it changed my life.

I'm still working on that Anne Bonny book. I may get around to doing some of that research yet! :blink::lol:

What brought me here? The censored.gif spinach pie. :blink::lol: (OK, it's an inside joke...)

I was searching for historical information on piracy and stumbled on this place. To the delight of some and chagrin of others, I stayed.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?