Made meself a new cutlass

Cascabel

Wow! That is absolutely gorgeous. Great work. It would be an honor for a bloke to be run through with something this well crafted.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Oh Cascabel you shouldn't have, you didn't need to make that for me.

But I'm not one to look a gift house in the mouth, I gladly accept this present on behalf of myself & I'm more than happy to take it off your hands.

Thank you so much.

:blink:

Gorgeous work BTW!

Now that is spiffy mate. Well done, it's a beauty!

Now the real question remains..... Ribbed for who's pleasure? (ooooh I had to.. that grip looks mighty comfortable... sounds kinda bad after my last comment though)

Edited by Thequartermaster

Say, that is nice. Now can you make a surgeon's amputation saw? I have two designs for you to consider... :blink:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Just finished me newest cutlass. Hopefully the images show up....

>>>>> Cascabel

100% first rate!

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Oh Cascabel you shouldn't have, you didn't need to make that for me.

But I'm not one to look a gift house in the mouth, I gladly accept this present on behalf of myself & I'm more than happy to take it off your hands.

Thank you so much.

<_<

Gorgeous work BTW!

*Slaps Stynkys hands* Nay tis not for ye......*Debates best way to pilfer it while smiling sweetly*

Actually it is well done Cascabel..very well done...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Could ya show more of yer scabbard sir? Did you make it as well? I have a couple of blades that need 'em and my design just isn't very good. Any help and advice you could share on that topic would be very much appreciated. Thought of trying a rawhide covered in glove leather. Anything? Thanks.

Bo

Could ya show more of yer scabbard sir? Did you make it as well? I have a couple of blades that need 'em and my design just isn't very good. Any help and advice you could share on that topic would be very much appreciated. Thought of trying a rawhide covered in glove leather. Anything? Thanks.

Bo

I made the scabbard, baldric and buckle also. I'll shoot a couple of pics and post them after the weekend. I'm out of town on a gig right now.

>>>> Cascabel

Bo

Here are detail shots of the scabbard :

DSCN1544.jpg

DSCN1545.jpg

DSCN1546.jpg

DSCN1549.jpg

>>>> Cascabel

Thankee sir. Did you form it around the blade wet? Use a substitute form? How difficult was it making the curve match the blade? Sorry for all the elementary questions, but I really wish to know so I can cover my two blades for safety. Wether I keep them or not, they should have a scabbard.

Bo

Thankee sir. Did you form it around the blade wet? Use a substitute form? How difficult was it making the curve match the blade? Sorry for all the elementary questions, but I really wish to know so I can cover my two blades for safety. Wether I keep them or not, they should have a scabbard.

Bo

The way I do them is to make a close fit to the blade by measuring in several spots, marking the leather to follow the curve of the edge of the blade, and then fold it and run it through the sewing machine with the stitching along the side where the edge is, which makes a straight scabbard. The next step is to run it through the band saw to cut off the excess leather close to the stitching. To curve it, I then soak it in water for about a half hour, and force the blade into it with the seam running down the side of the blade. It helps to work it over with a mallet to make the seam lay down properly. I let it dry with the blade in place. Heavily wax the blade before inserting it to prevent rusting. You can remove the blade before it completely dries. After it dries, you can dye it to whatever color you want. This is the way that works for me, but some makers use other methods.

>>>> Cascabel