Flying To PiP

michaelsbagley

Wow...I was trying to sign up for one of those fare notifier things (Travelocity) when I discovered that the flight cost from Detroit direct into Key West airport on AA, leaving Tuesday, Dec. 1st (2009) and returning the following Tuesday with one stopover in Miami is $276 ($325 once you apply the airport fees and such.) I have never seen that flight that cheap in the 17 years I've been flying there. The cheapest I can recall is about $300 terminating in Miasma International Airport - not Key West. And that was more than 10 years ago. Plus the seating is wide open. Sign me up!

(I suggest everyone check their favorite on-line flight searcher! Particularly Patrick!!)

I would agree, right now air fares are REALLY LOW!!! If you can, sign yourself up for them now... you know they'll end up fluctuating down the road.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barcelona.... that be some place in Spain ain't it..... do ye think she might settle fer Melborne or someplace war they don't got a price 'pon me head......not that I never stol any gold and such from any Spanyards.... but fer som reason... they just don't like me.....

If it be in France.... I knows som Frenchies wot will smuggle.... well alow the proper importation O' stuff in......

Or can I get 'er drunk 'nough, an' tell he that good Ol Captain Tonny's just so happpens ter be Barcelona......in excile or somthin.....

Hey... 'elp me out hear..... I be kinda...... eeergh... forgot 'bout th' PG 13 thing.......but a bird inna hand.... that sorta thing......

I guess it is, I could be wrong though. I've never been t' spain, but I kinda like the music...

• 1 month later...

Eye was Surprised at the cost of air fare myself.. I already made reservations for round trip to Miami. Grand total round trip was 316.00 ... The car rental was a bit more for the total of seven days... My guns are coming with me in locked cases TSA approved..I still need to find those cases though..I have not looked yet..however

my Garb/and Lean to (which Eye still need to fabricate) is more irreplaceable to me.That is all getting Fed-EXed to my Hotel I am staying in the first night before I head on down to Key west.. Then Fed-EXed home

before I board to come home...Wife has 35% discount because she is a Fed-Ex employee..Huzza...

Tyme to google TSA Approved Lock boxes...

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Anyone who wants to keep track of airfare should try kayak.com - I just checked and the airfare from Chicago to Key West (just an example) is $360 right now. That's into Key West. Amazing! It also compares all the airfare sites at once and has a handy calendar that shows you the lowest airfare at any particular time. Right now the airfare above holds steady for the rest of the year, so it's a good deal that doesn't appear to get better. For comparative purposes I was using Dec. 1 through Dec. 8.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Eye was Surprised at the cost of air fare myself.. I already made reservations for round trip to Miami. Grand total round trip was 316.00 ... The car rental was a bit more for the total of seven days... My guns are coming with me in locked cases TSA approved..I still need to find those cases though..I have not looked yet..however

my Garb/and Lean to (which Eye still need to fabricate) is more irreplaceable to me.That is all getting Fed-EXed to my Hotel I am staying in the first night before I head on down to Key west.. Then Fed-EXed home

before I board to come home...Wife has 35% discount because she is a Fed-Ex employee..Huzza...

Tyme to google TSA Approved Lock boxes...

heres one i have....but in the BlackPowder version...to accomodate the longer barrel(63")

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...d=0180101070502

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

**Scratches his head** I was wondering, with all this talk of flying, aren't all of your collective arms going to be a wee bit tired????? :blink:

Animal

I'm using me broom B)

Hey Lily? Isn't that the one I lent you last year?

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

M.A.d'Dogge

Eye have me eye on this one..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

Question is, does the biposition butterfly latches accept a TSA lock. I could not tell.the video clip didna give a close up and the zoom window would not load.. the case is exactly what I need if I can put my own locks on it..

Edited by oderlesseye

Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

M.A.d'Dogge

Eye have me eye on this one..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

Question is, does the biposition butterfly latches accept a TSA lock. I could not tell.the video clip didna give a close up and the zoom window would not load.. the case is exactly what I need if I can put my own locks on it..

Call them and ask I am sure they will love to help you.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

• 2 weeks later...

We are located here in Key Largo, if any of you would like to use out house as a sort of meeting place to group up before driving down to KW that would be fine. It might give you some more options on travel or just make the trip down nicerif you break it into 2 days and save the cost of a motel.

id.jpg

I went ahead and ordered that gun case I posted about earlier.

Eye now am focusing on getting a tent. Have it all picked out.Just need to buy it.. Patrick made good advice to simply buy my poles in Florida rather than tryng to fly them/ship them. A Lot cheaper Eye surmise..

Vintage sailor..I still have not reserved a hotel for Sunday Night of the 6th and could use a place to get a good shower before leaving Monday morning ..So ifen ye offering Hospitality.... I will be at the Event from Thurs the 3rd to Sun. afternoon. of the the 6th..unless of course I get restless and decide to go on the account somewhar...

Edited by oderlesseye

Noquarter2copy.jpg

Iffn we make port and the weather be good and we leave on the tide I be thinkin we nay be home by then.

Now if we get a ride and take an iron horse down and an iron horse back then you are most welcome.

Now come to think of things that might not be such a bad idea, Sunday night get rendezvous at the house here and plunder Key Largo . . .

id.jpg

Iffn we make port and the weather be good and we leave on the tide I be thinkin we nay be home by then.

Now if we get a ride and take an iron horse down and an iron horse back then you are most welcome.

Now come to think of things that might not be such a bad idea, Sunday night get rendezvous at the house here and plunder Key Largo . . .

but there is always a "cast(away) party of sorts sunday night atrthe end of the festival in the fort...really shouldn't be missed if possible

Well here it is..I weighed it with the guns.It comes out to be about 35 LBS.

So I know there won't be an extra weight charge for it... I will cut a piece of

brass plate and have it engraved with my name and address in case of a hick-up;

then rivot it onto the case. I think Eye will have to find better luggage to piggy back all

my stuff together..With this ,clothes and a tent..Eye think I will be wieghed down abit..

IMG_2526.jpg

Edited by oderlesseye

Noquarter2copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Was wondering if i could bother everyone for some info regarding flying to PiP. Seeing as this is my first possible year I was wondering the following.....

1) What is the best way to transport swords and a replica handgun, and what (if any) paperwork would I need?

2) Is there a recommended list of stuff to bring?

3) How far is the airport from the fort? (flying into Key West)

4) anyone flying from or connecting through Newark Airport in NJ? (figure it would be easier to travel with a veteran if possible)

5) what time does everyone generally arrive at the fort? (time/date)

that is all I can think of for now...too amped for finally going through with this. This will be my first time and I am hoping my fellow shipmates can join me (depends on $$$ of course)...Also if anyone has any other advice on what to bring and or expect please help me out!!!

Thanks all in advance!!

m_88912d35e54b4e34952d9677df54b55f.png

Half Moon Marauders

Irish Diplomacy... is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.

wed b y noon.....leave monday...shortest possible time to spend...and ya still feel like yur missin stuff

fly into KeyWest ifn ya can...nice view...mere minutes from fort...but gotta stop for a cuban coffee on yur way in

airlines are usually ok with the weapons...as long as in a case...lockable....as checked baggage....and declare whats inside...they usually laugh at ya...and handlers caint hurt themselves with it....course flyin into keywest is a small,small plain plane....will have to watch weight restrictions...their kinda mean about it

also...keywest airline is a very laid back airport....first time down their lost my bag...the one with all the gear!!...say it happens all the time...got it a day later

wot to bring??

a drynkin vessel....and sumpthin to pass around.....

come ta think on it?

you just bring spirits ta pass...and sit next to me...i gots a drynkin v essel....HA!!

Kian, I think I can answer some of your questions.

There is some good info about flying with weapons and all that related stuff in Cascabel's Lock, Stock & Barrrel. There are a few related links in there but here is the pinned topic.

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13279

There really isn't a list per say, but if you go to the Mercury Crew subforum, there are good links and info there that William and I have been compiling in the How to get started for PIP thread.

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=1460...mp;#entry354371

Key West is only a couple of miles long so the airport isn't that far. Many times there are enough people with cars, that if you let us know in advance, either someone can pick you up or a taxi isn't that expensive. Can't remember how much it cost me last year but it wasn't a lot.

If you plan on camping, they generally let us set up Tues or Wed before the activities start. Not sure what changes might be made now that Harry is retiring. In any case, we will get all the details a little closer to the event. I would recommend setting up your camp at least on Wed or Thurs. and leaving on Mon.

Please keep your questions coming. I'm sure there are others that might be thinking the same thing.

Looking forward to meeting you at FTPF/PIP. You will have a wonderful time. You may go as one person but you will leave with an entire family.

Edited by Haunting Lily

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

wed b y noon.....leave monday...shortest possible time to spend...and ya still feel like yur missin stuff

fly into KeyWest ifn ya can...nice view...mere minutes from fort...but gotta stop for a cuban coffee on yur way in

airlines are usually ok with the weapons...as long as in a case...lockable....as checked baggage....and declare whats inside...they usually laugh at ya...and handlers caint hurt themselves with it....course flyin into keywest is a small,small plain plane....will have to watch weight restrictions...their kinda mean about it

also...keywest airline is a very laid back airport....first time down their lost my bag...the one with all the gear!!...say it happens all the time...got it a day later

wot to bring??

a drynkin vessel....and sumpthin to pass around.....

come ta think on it?

you just bring spirits ta pass...and sit next to me...i gots a drynkin v essel....HA!!

Aye sir, I plan on packing light, save for my gear, tent, weapons (which may or may not be real) and a gallon of grog, and if that is all you say i should bring, then that is all I will do

Gonna warn ye now, Lady Brower makes a mean grog that goes down really quick but will knock ya down just as quick...Just hoping she can make it down with her husband

one more question, I seemed to have lost the thread that had info on tent poles and was wondering what suggestions there are?

Ideal situation for me packing is throwing everything into my military duffel bag (yes the big green one you see at military surplus...somethings never change) and flying down with that and my gun/sword case...

Half Moon Marauders

Irish Diplomacy... is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.

Kian, I think I can answer some of your questions.

There is some good info about flying with weapons and all that related stuff in Cascabel's Lock, Stock & Barrrel. There is a few links in there but here is the pinned topic.

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13279

There really isn't a list per say, but if you go to the Mercury Crew thread, there is good info there that William and I have been compiling in the How to get started for PIP.

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=1460...mp;#entry354371

Key West is only a couple of miles long so the airport isn't that far. Many times there are enough people that if you let us know in advance, either someone can pick you up or a taxi isn't that expensive. Can't remember how much it cost me last year but it wasn't a lot.

If you plan on camping, they generally let us set up tues or wed before the activites start. Not sure what changes might be made now that Harry is retiring. In any case,we will get all the details a little closer to the event. I would recommend setting up your camp at least on Wed or Thurs.

Please keep your questions coming. I'm sure there are others that might be thinking the same thing.

Looking forward to meeting you at FTPF/PIP. You will have a wonderful time. You may go as one person but you will leave with an entire family.

Thanks for the links!! They helped alot!! now besides grog, are there any provisions I should plan on or would be helpful, or can I purchase most of it in town?

Half Moon Marauders

Thanks for the links!! They helped alot!! now besides grog, are there any provisions I should plan on or would be helpful, or can I purchase most of it in town?

You're most welcome. Glad to help.

I think you will find that closer to the event everyone will start posting their plots and plans and will chime in on what they are bringing. Most things can be purchased in town. There are plenty of stores on Duvall street and groceries stores are a short distance away.

ps. Insoles for your shoes, boots, whatever you are wearing on your feet are a must. Even with insoles, if your feet don't hurt when you are through, you didn't do it right :D

Edited by Haunting Lily

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

one more question, I seemed to have lost the thread that had info on tent poles and was wondering what suggestions there are?

Weeeeellllllll.... were not suppose to tie anything to the trees...... :D So I won't say anything 'bout that........

But there are some 2x2's available for those of us that fly in (they also do American Civil War events at the Fort, and they are poles for that camp).... and if worse comes to worse, we can walk to the hardware store and buy some 2x2's and then just donate them to the Fort.......

Weeeeellllllll.... were not suppose to tie anything to the trees...... :P So I won't say anything 'bout that........

But there are some 2x2's available for those of us that fly in (they also do American Civil War events at the Fort, and they are poles for that camp).... and if worse comes to worse, we can walk to the hardware store and buy some 2x2's and then just donate them to the Fort.......

I think I would probably end up doing that...another idea that I was wondering about was this...more than likely you have a TSA approved case for carrying your sword and pistol...so it must be a pretty lengthy case no? Why not find a way to collapse the poles or use these ones (Tent poles from JAS Townsend) and place them in your gun/sword case? Has anyone done this? Just curious cause I am seriously debating doing that (making my own) and I want to see if anyone would have advice??

Half Moon Marauders

Weeeeellllllll.... were not suppose to tie anything to the trees...... :P So I won't say anything 'bout that........

I think I would probably end up doing that...another idea that I was wondering about was this...more than likely you have a TSA approved case for carrying your sword and pistol...so it must be a pretty lengthy case no? Why not find a way to collapse the poles or use these ones (Tent poles from JAS Townsend) and place them in your gun/sword case? Has anyone done this? Just curious cause I am seriously debating doing that (making my own) and I want to see if anyone would have advice??

i have both...the extra long 63" hard gun case...and the colapsable poles.....and i fly to PiP with ...neither

i usually pass them along to friends driving down and they have hauled them for me.....a but of a logistical nightmare....but so far has worked out