Flying To PiP

michaelsbagley

i have both...the extra long 63" hard gun case...and the colapsable poles.....and i fly to PiP with ...neither

i usually pass them along to friends driving down and they have hauled them for me.....a but of a logistical nightmare....but so far has worked out

My biggest problem is that I dont know of anyone near me that I could swindle into doing that...apparently I need to work on my pirate skills (persuasion). It would save me a heck of a headache trying to get a gun and a sword through security and trying to explain why...NYC TSA...ugh!

If anyone happens to know of someone passing near the state of NY that wouldnt mind hauling one more case to PiP for a few coin, please send me a PM so I could "persuade" them to give me a hand if possible.... :P

m_88912d35e54b4e34952d9677df54b55f.png

Half Moon Marauders

Irish Diplomacy... is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but there is always a "cast(away) party of sorts sunday night atrthe end of the festival in the fort...really shouldn't be missed if possible

Yeah...some of the most interesting stuff happens on Sunday night. For example, that's usually the night Stynky gets (but not necessarily purchases) mead. I would never dream of missing Sunday night...well, what I can remember of Sunday nights on Monday morning. :angry:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Sounds like I will be there Sunday night, however talking with Shay.

There may be an Oyster pre PiP party here Tuesday then a carpool/caravan down to the fort on Wednesday to star setup. Maybe even invite some of our more local wannabe pirates and give them a taste of PiP. Just tossing ideas out there

id.jpg

• 3 months later...

Air fares...like the coffee aboard, have been horrible..

However September usually brings the first post high season sales.

There's an article today that Southwest and United and American are instituting some decent sales Sept through Jan. There are some day/date of travel restrictions but they don't generally black out the 2009 PIP dates. Theres also a deal on SW I believe to relax the extra bag fee.

The sale by Southwest Airlines Co. applies to flights from Sept. 9 through Jan. 7, but sale fares aren't available on Fridays or Sundays. And it blacked-out flights around Thanksgiving — Nov. 24 through Dec. 1 — and near Christmas and New Year's Day — Dec. 18 through Jan. 4. Tickets must be purchased by Sept. 3. Some seats are as cheap as $59 each way plus taxes.

UAL Corp.'s United, meanwhile, is running several sales, with fares for travel between Chicago and Houston for $102 each way, and travel between Atlanta and Denver for $109 each way. Tickets have to be purchased by Tuesday for travel by Dec. 16. Another sale covered Washington Dulles to several East Coast cities for travel through Nov. 18. Tickets must be purchased by Friday. Both sales are valid only for travel on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Saturday.

The sale by AMR Corp.'s American covered flights between New York and five other cities: Miami, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.

The New York to California flights were $109 each way, a number that caught Seaney's eye. It's close to the $99 each-way fare for coast-to-coast travel that fliers watch for but seldom get, he said.

Also, some carriers are undercutting each others' direct flights with one-stop flights to the same cities.

"There's a lot of really low-ball deals out there if you're willing to put up with connecting,"

Full article here http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090820/ap_on_re_us/us_fare_sales

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Aye be a noob to this gatherin, and be looking forward to it! The enthusiasm on this forum has much to do with me takin the leap.

I got me ticket from Phoenix to Ft Lauderdale. Me question be...

Will aye have any issues getting in and set up late on the beach there, say 8-10PM Weds night (Mercury crew)?

Me flight comes into Ft Lauderdale around 5pm, so best case drivin in would be say 8PM Weds night, or should aye opt for a hotel Weds night?

Thank ye kindly,

madPete

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

As a registered camper, you should receive a packet from Spike and the BiB gang that has the gate code. People arrive regularly and we're still up that late. Just don't be the guy last year (the food vendor) who came it at 2 a.m. with floodlights and his headlights on and set up, humming off key all the time. We will shoot you - not to kill, but to silence. :)

Historically, our own crewe has pulled in quite late and simply tossed sleeping gear on the ground, setting up in the morning if it was after 10 or so.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Thank you for the scoop.

If it be gettin later than 10 I be stopping at a boardin house...

I know what you mean about the camper that pulls in at 2AM with floodlights on, we had one feller in our Civil War reenactments that tried to do that not just once, but twice. After that no one would have anything to do with him.

madPete

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Thanks VintageSailor...

you confirmed my thoughts. Havin not been that way b'fore, helps to hear from others.

madPete

I drove own myself last year... And let me tell you, the drive through the keys is slow... The speed limit is 35 to 45 most of the way, and there seemed to ALWAYS someone further ahead who will be doing the speed limit... So don't bank on going that extra bit faster to make the drive go by more quickly. So prepare to relax for that part of the journey.. It is scenic and nice looking... But it is hard that just when you think you are getting close, are going the slowest.

Michael_banner.jpg

That's why we do the overnight run a midnight and arrive at about 7 - driving overnight cuts about an hour off the trip because there's no traffic and the lights are all turned to yellow down the keys. That said, you never want to speed through the keys. The police are everywhere and they love to catch you still going 50 when you're in a 40 zone. You may just want to get a hotel before the keys, catch a few Zs and drive down at night. Plus, nothing beats driving into the keys as the sun begins to rise and all the dark turns to brilliant turquoise waters. I never get tired of that.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I agree. I made the drive at 2am in a convertible one year and it was unbelievable with the moonlight and the bridges. Plus there's hardly any traffic as Hurricane says, so you don't have to wait behind people. But you definitely do want to follow the speed limit - especially on Big Pine.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Willie Wobble and I caravanned last year. It was 30 degrees in Orlando when I left and between the wind and cold, we damn near froze our butts off. The cold and wind was the only thing keeping us awake during the run down. It was a clear and lovely night and the sunrise was excellent.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

• 2 weeks later...

JetBlue has dropped some of their rates for the very week(s) that we plan to be at PIP

A NYC (JFK) to Ft Meyers (RSW) flight can be as little as $79.00 each way, depending on the days that you book.

There are still the issues of getting our kit and such on to the plane (I wonder if the Fort will let us UPS some things there?)... and then the boat trip to Cayo Hueso... but boat trips is what it's all about really, isn't it?

wink.gif

"A Lone Wolf on an Endless Sea"

A couple of travel tips.

First, sign Spirit's emails - they have $9 seat sales to Fort Lauderdale and Miami - with taxes, it's about $59 each way.

Second, use kayak.com to search fares. It searches all of the airline databases as well as expedia, orbitz, priceline - all the results pop right up on your screen for comparisons. This should help you find the best fare and play with the days and schedules quickly.

For those with an iPhone, they have a free app as well.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

The air prices are still pretty good (or they were last week). I had to switch my flight all around and I was still amazed at how cheaply I can fly straight into Key West.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

• 3 weeks later...

Airtan announced recently nonstop service to Key West from Orlando once a day. Not that I don't love jetBlue (shameless self promotion- since i work there) but the flights from Orlando are cheap but at dumb times. And no, I can't get free tickets.

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

JetBlue has dropped some of their rates for the very week(s) that we plan to be at PIP

A NYC (JFK) to Ft Meyers (RSW) flight can be as little as $79.00 each way, depending on the days that you book.

There are still the issues of getting our kit and such on to the plane (I wonder if the Fort will let us UPS some things there?)... and then the boat trip to Cayo Hueso... but boat trips is what it's all about really, isn't it?

wink.gif

Oh, I have had little trouble flying with any of my sailing gear or reenactment gear although I do not carry anything with powder or that could be fired.

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

$388 from D-troit to Key West....just booked...arriving by noonish...have the cuban coffee ready!!

Isn't that amazing? I can't ever remember it being less than $450 since I've been flying there and it has been under $400 all year. My first ticket (which I had to cancel because of my schedule) only cost $300!

Jet Blue just issued a one day sale only for today with some amazing fares to Fort Lauderdale. Anyone gone this route? Whats the best connection you've found from there?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I flew in there one trip and drove. There used to be flights from Lauderdale, Orlando and Miasmi, but when I figured the costs at the time, it was the same price as renting a car - and then you had a car so you could go up the Keys without difficulty. If you want to fly it used to be cheaper to book the flight from your airport direct in than to try and cobble together flights. But that's my experience from about 10+ years ago.

Edited by Raphael Misson

• 2 weeks later...