Eat Lead!

blackjohn

Bored, waiting for the repair man who is going to fix the fancy new stove that is fortunately still under warranty...

Soooooo...

I have a ton of lead pirates.

Well, maybe not a ton, since some of them are lead free pewter, but I digress.

I need to paint some.

Soooooo... if I do, I'll post the results.

One thing I have painted recently, a nice piratey treasure chest. This is in 25/28/30mm scale, so in the picture, the square grid it is resting upon is one inch.

Without further ado...

treasure01.jpg

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Haven't done one of these in decades... do they still make the 54mm pirate series?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Haven't done one of these in decades... do they still make the 54mm pirate series?

That's cool. I can't say that I know very many women who are into historical miniatures. Rpging, yes. I know plenty of female gamers. But historical minis... that's pretty rare.

As for 54s. They aren't common. They exist, but mostly for the diorama makers. I know Osprey had a line of 54s that went along with their MaA series of books (I bought my wife the 54mm Scythian noblewoman), but few if any games are designed with 54s in mind.

The most common scale is 25/28/30/32mm. Back in the day, they were more or less just 25s. In the last three decades, scale creep has pushed them up to the point that the old 25s are barely usable with the common minis of today.

After that, 15mm is the most common. I have scads and scads of 15mm RevWar and a bunch of Prussian SYW. But I doubt I'll ever use them.

From there it is just a mishmash. 8s and 10s and now some people are getting into 40s. And then there's HO scale...

But the 25-32 scale is by far the most common, which means you can find the most variety of cool figures.

My Home on the Web

Whee!! I always though these were cool. I used to populate my brother's train board..albeit with plastic folks..but it was fun to stage scenarios...we even tied one guy to the tracks :D

Seriously though... Here is an excerpt from 1898 article included in the timeline of wargaming.

I love a guy who can use the work Kriegspiel in a sentence...

"In an old notebook soiled and dog eared by much travelling, yellow and musty with the long years it had lain hid in a Samoan chest, the present writer came across the mimic war correspondence here presented to the public. The stirring story of these tin soldier campaigns occupies the greater share of the book, though interspersed with many pages of scattered verse, not a little Gaelic idiom and verb, a half made will and the chaptering of a novel. This game of tin soldiers, an intricate "Kriegspiel" involving rules innumerable, prolonged arithmetical calculations, constant measuring with foot-rule and the throwing of dice, sprang from the humblest beginnings...

A row of soldiers on either side and a deadly marble, then growing in size and complexity until it mimiced real war indeed modelled closely on actual battles."

Timeline of Model War Gaming

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Whee!! I always though these were cool. I used to populate my brother's train board..albeit with plastic folks..but it was fun to stage scenarios...we even tied one guy to the tracks :rolleyes:

Timeline of Model War Gaming

I think my first "miniatures" were HQ scale Airfix dudes that we used to run around on the train layouts too. They still make a bunch of figures out of plastic in that scale. Just a year or two ago I bought a pack of gladiators. The plan was to do some gladiator combats in miniature. It has not yet come to fruition.

Thanks! That's a great timeline. I have had it bookmarked for some time now myself!

My Home on the Web

Those are pretty cool.. never got into the gaming aspect of the miniatures but have always appreciated those who had a steady enough hand to paint them

love going by those gaming places where they have the big warhammer displays with all the miniatures painted up.. I have a couple from back in the 80's that I acquired. Seeing the pirate ones, I might have to get one or 2 just for ole times sake LOL!

l_6f5752dad5104a2395dd74698d970409.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
cap_038.jpg

Evidently the pirate figure didn't make it's saving throw against the Breast Dazzle Spell.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I haven't painted miniatures in years. My hand is too unsteady fer such fine work

I thought the same. It is actually nice to know I can muster the steadiness when I need to. If you enjoyed it back then, give it a try and maybe you'll be surprised!

My Home on the Web

Evidently the pirate figure didn't make it's saving throw against the Breast Dazzle Spell.

They usually don't in real life either..... :lol:

Touche! :P

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Theys 54mm blackjohn. That about 2" fer you lubbers out there.

Steadyness in the hands be a learned trait. If ald Morgans' butcherd fat fingers can muster it so can yers. There be a fair amount of cheap larger scale practise figgers at any Michaels, Big Lots or Mall Wart. The fun is in learning ta use washes an drybrushin' ta bring out textures an detail. The details on some figgers is jus plain hard on the ---ahhh--- well jus plain hard <_<

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

• 14 years later...

Firelock Games ( https://www.firelockgames.com/ ) has a wide range of miniatures from the 17th and 18th century (including ships!) in their ‘Blood & Plunder’ line of games. The detail is not only good, but Benerson Little served as a historical consultant on many elements of the games design! Size is 28 mm which makes them compatible with most D&D and similar TTRPGs so their miniatures can be used for a wide variety of games not just the game system they are designed around. For instance, they could be perfectly suited to the recent ‘Pirate Borg’ RPG ( https://www.limithron.com/pirateborg ) if one were so inclined. One great line of miniatures, unlimited gaming possibilities! 

“A fellow with no wish to be governed, inspected, indoctrinated, preached at, taxed, stamped, measured, judged, condemned, hanged, or shot.”

On 5/11/2023 at 9:06 PM, Picaroon Lagoon said:

Firelock Games ( https://www.firelockgames.com/ ) has a wide range of miniatures from the 17th and 18th century (including ships!) in their ‘Blood & Plunder’ line of games. The detail is not only good, but Benerson Little served as a historical consultant on many elements of the games design! Size is 28 mm which makes them compatible with most D&D and similar TTRPGs so their miniatures can be used for a wide variety of games not just the game system they are designed around. For instance, they could be perfectly suited to the recent ‘Pirate Borg’ RPG ( https://www.limithron.com/pirateborg ) if one were so inclined. One great line of miniatures, unlimited gaming possibilities! 

Oooh, thank you for the above! Michael Bagsley, Matty Bottles, look sharp!

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!