Looking for period designs

roytheodd

I have a scabbard that needs a design tooled into it, anybody know any good sources of simple period patterns, motifs, or artwork? I ask for simple because it'll be my first time tooling anything. I'm picturing sea creatures, shells, ships, anchors, detailed letters or initials, or anything sort of nautical or period themed. I've been doing Google searches and I've found a few things I like, but I'm hoping to find some sort of motherlode of designs. It seems that most of what I find is Celtic and I'm trying to steer away from that.

• 2 months later...
I have a scabbard that needs a design tooled into it, anybody know any good sources of simple period patterns, motifs, or artwork? I ask for simple because it'll be my first time tooling anything. I'm picturing sea creatures, shells, ships, anchors, detailed letters or initials, or anything sort of nautical or period themed. I've been doing Google searches and I've found a few things I like, but I'm hoping to find some sort of motherlode of designs. It seems that most of what I find is Celtic and I'm trying to steer away from that.

Sorry to sail into port so late on this one, but you could try some basic clip art searches. Now, the tough part is tooling or carving anything on a finished scabbard. Tooling and carving of any decent nature needs to be done before the leather has been dyed, finished and assembled. You could find a local Tandy Leather Factory store (yes folks they re-opened) and build a totally new scabbard for yourself, or drop the folks at Oregon Leather a post (www.oregonleatherco.com) and They'll steer you in the right direction.

M-Jack

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."