Re make of Captain Blood....

Iron Bess

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got some of the Sabatini books at me library, and of course, I tried to get into Captain Blood. However, I found Sabatini's style stilted and forced...the words don't flow all natural-like anymore...

Damn, thats sharp!

If you want mainstream Hollywood to make a movie, you just about have to accept a pretty boy with a Name, I forget how much studios figure (or at least have convinced themselves to believe) that the lead male actor's name adds to the revenue generated by a typical movie, but it's significant.

Leave us not forget that Errol and Olivia (de Havilland) were unknowns when this movie was made: this was the vehicle that made both of them. Errol had come over from England as a contract actor and had been cast as an extra in the movie. He was reluctantly given a screen test only after the film company had run out of "names" to use. Why not try for lightning again? Will pirate fans not go because they don't recognize the lead actor?

That was an aberration. If it doesn't fit the Hollywood model, it's either an aberration or an independent film. (One could almost argue that Lucas practically made an independent film which was turned down by some studios, but managed to sneak it into Fox because Alan Ladd was a fan of American Graffiti. (A story which is pretty amazing in itself.) Notice that he's since demanded independence from the H'wood mindset.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

If you want mainstream Hollywood to make a movie, you just about have to accept a pretty boy with a Name, I forget how much studios figure (or at least have convinced themselves to believe) that the lead male actor's name adds to the revenue generated by a typical movie, but it's significant.

Leave us not forget that Errol and Olivia (de Havilland) were unknowns when this movie was made: this was the vehicle that made both of them. Errol had come over from England as a contract actor and had been cast as an extra in the movie. He was reluctantly given a screen test only after the film company had run out of "names" to use. Why not try for lightning again? Will pirate fans not go because they don't recognize the lead actor?

That was an aberration. If it doesn't fit the Hollywood model, it's either an aberration or an independent film. (One could almost argue that Lucas practically made an independent film which was turned down by some studios, but managed to sneak it into Fox because Alan Ladd was a fan of American Graffiti. (A story which is pretty amazing in itself.) Notice that he's since demanded independence from the H'wood mindset.)

Oh I agree, but we can always hope, as these are the stories that make us love Hollywood on occasion.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Oh I agree, but we can always hope, as these are the stories that make us love Hollywood on occasion.

Like POTC:CotBP? That was a great movie IMO. You can pick many things apart on it, but it was the kind of movie that makes me love Hollywood. I had read it was not expected to be a big movie, although I don't know if that's true. Why is it that such a hub of alleged creativity as Hollywood is repeatedly startled by the relatively "non-standard" movies that become big hits? At least they let enough of them through to make it worth the ride.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I don't know...the original Capt Blood turned out to be a Flynn showpiece. Now replace all of that "clean" action with sweat and dirt, make it more realistic, perhaps make Blood a little bit more brooding as he has seen war and renounced violence but is, at his core, a man of violence. Introduce a vice, like drink, perhaps. Just don't make him cruel, except where affairs of the heart are concerned. I think it could be done.

And Russel Crowe (or someone quite like him) as Blood, not the villain.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Aye, I think Crowe would be an excellent choice. I always thought Flynn was too much of a "pretty boy" to be believeable. I think the character needs to be a bit more gritty. Of course, Flynn was a product of the way movies were made at the time, when the hero was usually a pretty boy....

>>>> Cascabel

Doesn't it sort of depend on how they play him? I can't see Downey playing straight hero. Heck, I can't quite see him taking 'period' very seriously. If they want a sardonic, snarky Blood, Downey might work.

John Goodman. (John Goodman is so cool.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Sean Patrick Flanery or Norman Reedus for Peter Blood

They might fit the bill, just dunno how they'd like doing a period type film...

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a VHS copy last weekend. Not too keen on Flynn's attempts at piratical speech. Razil Bathbone as a french pirate was a hoot.

I hope they fixes the plot hole whereby the 200,000 pieces 'o eight gets tellyported onta the ship while the Spanish pirates gets blowed ta 'ell :blink:

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

Here we go...PERFECT cast...you ready??? :blink:

Peter Blood - Guy Pearce OR Christian Bale

Arabella (Governor's Daughter/Niece/whatev) - Scarlett Johannsen

Col. Bishop (the villian) - Tim Roth Or Russell Crowe

Good choices!

Ha... and I like the idea of Downey as a snarky Capt Blood...

I'd also think "dude who plays Bond right now" would do a good job. First thing I ever saw him in was the really cool version of Moll Flanders with Alex Kingston, where he did a great job at playing a highwayman.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 1 month later...

For some reason, I have not been receiving the usual notifications about posts in this thread.

I come back here to see the name of Robert Downey Jr being banded about!

I just spent several days at Chattham docks (Where the Victory was Built) Watching Mr Downey Jr working through a fight scene for the new Sherlock Holmes movie, (Based on the Graphic Novel, not the Books, hence the action scenes.) I must confess, I was impressed by his commitment to the action. And The Idea of Downey as Peter Blood struck me.

He is old enough to play someone who has seen active military service before "retiring" to become a country doctor.

and once again, he has the lightness of touch that a Swashbuckler needs.

At the moment, Mr Downey is high on my wish list of Actors to play Peter Blood.

Hugh Jackman good choice.

Female lead -mayhap... Laetita Casta

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Hmmmmm......whatever happened to Oliver Reed?

Died- 2 May 1999

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Hmmmmm......whatever happened to Oliver Reed?

Died- 2 May 1999

He died of a heart attack in a bar after downing three bottles of Captain Morgan's Jamaica rum, eight bottles of German beer, numerous doubles of Famous Grouse whiskey, and beating five much younger Royal Navy sailors at arm-wrestling. His bar bill for that final lunch time totaled 270 Maltese lira, almost £450.

The public house in Malta in which he died, previously known as "The Pub", was renamed "Ollie's Last Pub" in his memory.

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org