Re make of Captain Blood....

Iron Bess

While not official to the whole wide world as of yet....

It is official at Warner Brothers. (and since I have no confideniality aggrement with THEM.. heh, heh, PIRATE!) :D

There WILL be a re make of Errol Flynns *Captian Blood* on schedule for 2010. ;)

Start your casting guesses mates. At this point the seas are wide open as they have no one in mind.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really cool news Bess. Captain Blood is one of my personal favs!

What sad (to me) is that I think Orlando Bloom would make a decent replacement for Errol Flynn... But with him having three pirate movies under his belt, I'm guessing he won't make the casting list (well not any official ones anyways). Jude Law might be able to do a decent job, but I haven't seen him in any movies recently, so he might have aged while I wasn't looking. :D

Michael_banner.jpg

Unashamed..EYe gotta say Eye wanna be an extra in it! How do ya cast yar lot that way?

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

A Captain Blood remake, huh? Coolies.

Hmm... tis a toughy who could be as good as Mr Flynn. Bloom? Naw. Bashing my head just ever so slightly on possibilities. But I can't seem to think of anyone. Perhaps this may require some unknown Actor. NOT Shia LeBeouf! PLEASE not Shia.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Well first of all is is not a Disney production. It is in the hands of Warner Brothers so blame them for any casting mis steps.

Second, I doubt Bloom would ever even be in the running. His box office value has tanked.

Hugh Jackman?? Hmmm.. maybe. Crow is too old and as for extra casting, I'm sure Warners will hit the reg extra casting offices so you may want to sign up with a few. If they have an open call like Disney did I'll have my friends over there let me know and I'll pass it along to you all <_<

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Secret confessions time... I have not seen Captain Blood. But I been tempted many times to read the novels.

You really should see it. As near as I can recall, it's all about a heroic pirate who is heroic primarily because he was a sort of libertarian surgeon. (There's some other stuff about escaping from slavery and stealing a ship along with something about an initially aloof girl, but that stuff is not that important as I remember it.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I second Mission's suggestion of this film being a must see.... It's funny how this came up, I literally just rented it of fNetFlix three weeks ago as I thought it had been too long since I had seen it.

As for Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) as Captain Blood... I think he could pull off the acting well enough, but he is a bit too gruff looking in my opinion... I really think a more "pretty-boy" look is needed to pull of an Errol Flynn portraying a Doctor turned pirate kind of role. If they go the pretty-boy route... I just hope they don't go with Patrick Dempsey (McDreamy from "Grey's Anatomy")...

Ok, it is in my rental queue.
Michael_banner.jpg

I really think a more "pretty-boy" look is needed to pull of an Errol Flynn portraying a Doctor turned pirate kind of role. If they go the pretty-boy route

I think this would be a mistake (not that Hollywood ever makes those.) The best thing they could do is go straight to the book and try to take it fresh - any attempt to recreate Errol Flynn would be dreadfully misguided. The job here is to capture Blood, not Flynn. Personally I think the best move they could make would be a decidedly non-Flynn approach, while still maintaining the scholarly type turned reluctant pirate sort of thing.

I just hope they don't go with Patrick Dempsey (McDreamy from "Grey's Anatomy")

If this happens, just go ahead and kill me.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I vote for Paul Giamatti. At first I wrote that as a joke, but now I wonder if it might actually work.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

NAH, I say Julian McMahon (credits include an ongoing role in "Charmed" and a starring role in "Nip/Tuck"). He has the rough hard edge but is a handsome rogue type.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Nah, I'm tired of those pretty boys. I want someone haggard enough to look as though he's survived the 17th century. How about Tom Jones? He's got the Captain Blood Chest Hair down pat.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

[quote name='Bilgemunky'

I think this would be a mistake (not that Hollywood ever makes those.) The best thing they could do is go straight to the book and try to take it fresh - any attempt to recreate Errol Flynn would be dreadfully misguided. The job here is to capture Blood, not Flynn. Personally I think the best move they could make would be a decidedly non-Flynn approach, while still maintaining the scholarly type turned reluctant pirate sort of thing.

I have to agree with Bilgemunky... forget about Errol Flynn and go back to the original... although maybe we can leave out the part of them fighting over the 13 year old girl... but young don't ye think?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

If you want mainstream Hollywood to make a movie, you just about have to accept a pretty boy with a Name, I forget how much studios figure (or at least have convinced themselves to believe) that the lead male actor's name adds to the revenue generated by a typical movie, but it's significant.

Kevin Spacey

John Cleese

Jack Davenport

Chiquita the Monkey

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'd modify the story slightly and cast with Will Smith or Denzel Washington in the lead.

However, in that case might want a name other than "blood" for the title. :(

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

If you want mainstream Hollywood to make a movie, you just about have to accept a pretty boy with a Name...

Okay, okay. In that case, how about Danny Devito?

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Chain Shot just recently purchased a box set of Errol Flynn movies, including Captain Blood. I'm sorry, folks, but it's going to take one special actor to replace that man. Even all these years later, I can't think of anyone with the same amount of charisma. He just so fits the parts, and then there is that smile = killer!

I think the idea of avoiding any reference to Errol is the only way to go. It's one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda situations.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Getting to meet Rory his daughter this weekend was amazing. I got her to sign one of the covers of the summer issue with her father on it. One of the best conversations that I have ever had.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

If you want mainstream Hollywood to make a movie, you just about have to accept a pretty boy with a Name, I forget how much studios figure (or at least have convinced themselves to believe) that the lead male actor's name adds to the revenue generated by a typical movie, but it's significant.

Leave us not forget that Errol and Olivia (de Havilland) were unknowns when this movie was made: this was the vehicle that made both of them. Errol had come over from England as a contract actor and had been cast as an extra in the movie. He was reluctantly given a screen test only after the film company had run out of "names" to use. Why not try for lightning again? Will pirate fans not go because they don't recognize the lead actor?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...