Singing Cats

Mission

Be forewarned, this is pretty cruel when you think about it much, but it's sort of funny in a twisted way. It's from Emily Cockayne's book Hubbub:

"To complete the scene [in Marcellus Laroon (III) picture of noisy musicians called The Execrable Concert from 1770], the 'musician' (far right) pulls the tails of three cats imprisoned in a piano-like contraption similar to the one described by Athanasius Kircher in 1650. Cats were positioned according to the pitch of their cries, issued when a spike was driven through their tails. This device was reportedly invented to cheer up a stressed Italian prince." (Cockayne, p. 123)

cat-piano.jpg

(I, in fact, do own a cat and would never even consider this. On top of any injury to the cat, I can't see how it would sound anything but truly hideous.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

. . ."To complete the scene [in Marcellus Laroon (III) picture of noisy musicians called The Execrable Concert from 1770], the 'musician' (far right) pulls the tails of three cats imprisoned in a piano-like contraption similar to the one described by Athanasius Kircher in 1650. Cats were positioned according to the pitch of their cries, issued when a spike was driven through their tails. This device was reportedly invented to cheer up a stressed Italian prince." (Cockayne, p. 123)

cat-piano.jpg

OMG this is truly horrible!

How could you even post such a thing?

And what's even worse is that I can't help but laugh - absurd. :lol:

Either the Italian prince in question really hated cats or couldn't find a bagpipe player...

That may be the single best line I've read in this or any other forum in the entire existence of the internet.

Thank you, Bilge, always happy to be of service.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Be forewarned, this is pretty cruel when you think about it much, but it's sort of funny in a twisted way. It's from Emily Cockayne's book Hubbub:

"To complete the scene [in Marcellus Laroon (III) picture of noisy musicians called The Execrable Concert from 1770], the 'musician' (far right) pulls the tails of three cats imprisoned in a piano-like contraption similar to the one described by Athanasius Kircher in 1650. Cats were positioned according to the pitch of their cries, issued when a spike was driven through their tails. This device was reportedly invented to cheer up a stressed Italian prince." (Cockayne, p. 123)

cat-piano.jpg

(I, in fact, do own a cat and would never even consider this. On top of any injury to the cat, I can't see how it would sound anything but truly hideous.)

:rolleyes: Ya know, that's just so.....wrong! (This is coming form a woman who has five indoor cats, whom I love as much as others love their kids)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I do not have a cat indoor or outdoor. I am allergic to cats. I still THINK THIS IS ALL WRONG.

But what about the thinking of the people of the times? What was a cat but a way to keep the rodents in control? Only slightly better? I don't know why anyone would do this. How prevalent was the practice?

But what about the thinking of the people of the times? What was a cat but a way to keep the rodents in control? Only slightly better? I don't know why anyone would do this. How prevalent was the practice?

I doubt it was very prevalent. Although in the drawing referred to in my original quote the device is actually built different than the pic I posted from the web. So there was more than one kind that was built. I have seen period journals with references to owners being quite attached to pets, particularly dogs (at least twice off the top of my head), but as I mentioned elsewhere few references to cats. I recently saw something in the same book I am quoting up there about a person getting a cat to tame the rat population (which apparently didn't work as the person later bought mouse traps), but nothing much about cats as serious family pets so far.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
That's a pretty bad contraption..........I'm a cat lover - got six indoor ones that I love.

Well, based on the evidence brought forth, you'll need just one more to be 'historically accurate' <_<

No, you can't have mine! <_<

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Geez, the cat is out of the bag on this one. I was just at the Humane Society looking for some willing kitties to be part of my replica of this divine creation... I'm nearly catatonic at the thought of performing at PiP on it --- I was thinking about playing I Hate Cats on it, or maybe Cats in the Cradle.

I do have my first cat -- found it in my yard yesterday...

IMG_2154.jpg

Having a little trouble getting it to cooperate... (for those that don't know, that's a Florida Bobcat) <_<

Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

That's horrible, but it reminds me of something I've seen before.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoceQ0Te0RE

Cute!

Not the kitty one (hugs my two crites), but the Muppet one.

Both remind me of yet another device. Anyone see the movie Baron Munchausen and the device used to play "The Torturer's Apprentice"? :huh:

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Geez, the cat is out of the bag on this one. I was just at the Humane Society looking for some willing kitties to be part of my replica of this divine creation... I'm nearly catatonic at the thought of performing at PiP on it --- I was thinking about playing I Hate Cats on it, or maybe Cats in the Cradle.

IMG_2154.jpg

Having a little trouble getting it to cooperate... (for those that don't know, that's a Florida Bobcat) :huh:

Hurricane

That one won't work...'is tail is too small for the contraption...he's got a nice baritone voice, though, too bad...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Good point there Jim. I will have to look for sopranos and altos instead... I don't think this kitty would have been too cooperative anyway. Seemed fixed on eating a squirrel when we happened upon her.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

IMG_2154.jpg

Having a little trouble getting it to cooperate... (for those that don't know, that's a Florida Bobcat) :rolleyes:

Hurricane

Yah, I remember seein a picture of the "singing cats" contraption when I had a book of Medieval/Rennaisance musical woodcuts and prints, when I was in college.

I was reminded of it later when I heard this classical work (and I know not the composer or the name of the work) that was for symphony orchestra and yowling cats. In the case of this work (and I heard it on the radio only once ever) I am sure the situation of having them yowl as part of the music here, was a much more positive experience than the aforementioned contraption.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

gorgeous bobcat..ours do not look like that down here. Wow how sad is that..those poor cats..Shame on that Prince. And to think for some reason I thought this was about the musical Cats...not screaming cats..though in that picture they look pretty pissed...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

There's one point that seems to be missed in this discussion, which is, such an instrument is cruelty to fellow pirates. Yes, I am making the claim, here and now, that cats are pirates. On what do I base this? On the daily observation that felines are always burying and digging up...ummm..."treasure".

They are also natural con artists...after all, thats how Ship's Cat #1, aka Missy, got into this house from being a stray. And I suspect she somehow slips out, late at night and thru a locked door, to tell her cat friends how soft she's got it here...for there does seem to be an increase of feline visitors in the yard of late.

Damn, thats sharp!