PiP Registration forms

Harry

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry - Mapquest is a bit cranky even with a "close enough" address. I went with Google and managed to get a somewhat accurate map down to the area. I'll still rely on my Garmin though...goofy gal cracks me up when she says "recalculating" in a snooty tone.

I recall someone mentioned the green fairy here (well, one of these PiP threads). I happen to have a bottle of that direct from Paris. Yum. :P

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Here, try this map:

http://fcit.usf.edu/Florida/maps/local/monroe/m053705.htm

Hmm...I guess that's not very helpful. It's before they backfilled Key West and created the Truman Annex...

Try this map. Fort Zach is in the lower left hand corner. You'll most likely be coming in on Truman Avenue. (Follow all the 'US1' signs.)

E-Z driving directions: Stay on US1. When you get to Whitehead Street, turn right. Whitehead is one block past Duval. Continue to Southard St (first traffic light after turning right on Whitehead). Turn left at traffic light, go thru Truman Annex housing area and follow the signs to the park.

The only slightly confusing part is once you get through Truman Annex - this will be most apparent because the scenery changes dramatically and you find yourself in a rather barren-looking area. The fort entree is in the opposite corner of said area. (You can see this on the map where Southard crosses Fort St.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

There are a number of new signs up at Whitehead St and in Truman Annex pointing the way to the park. Of course, everyone who is coming has my cell phone number, so if you get lost, you know who to call ;) .

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

There are a number of new signs up at Whitehead St and in Truman Annex pointing the way to the park. Of course, everyone who is coming has my cell phone number, so if you get lost, you know who to call ;) .

Ghostbusters?

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I recall someone mentioned the green fairy here (well, one of these PiP threads). I happen to have a bottle of that direct from Paris. Yum. ;)

How YOU doin'? ;)

I'm doing pretty well, thanks! ;)

Jess - Bushmills is one of the smoother whiskies out there, is it not?

Thanks for the additional pointers ladies and gents (or was it just gents?). I'll add this to my printed version of directions. I'm sure it'll be tough to get lost down there. I mean, if I run out of land to cover then I know I've gone too far! ;)

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Harry - Mapquest is a bit cranky even with a "close enough" address. I went with Google and managed to get a somewhat accurate map down to the area. I'll still rely on my Garmin though...goofy gal cracks me up when she says "recalculating" in a snooty tone.

I recall someone mentioned the green fairy here (well, one of these PiP threads). I happen to have a bottle of that direct from Paris. Yum. ;)

Ahhh yes, that be me, I met the green fairy in New Orleans when sharing it with some of the pirates from POC 1.

Green Fairy???? From Paris????? We MUST compare New Orleans to Paris. Lets compare at PiP.

FLmermaid

Ghostbusters?

Aye, or any of the spirits in the fort... they've had some experience with shell phones...

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

• 6 months later...
Any idea what changes we can expect on the registration form for 2009?

I think they were posted around October last year (?)... You won't see or hear of the registration forms until a few month before the event anyways.... It's far too early to worry about that yet. :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg

Michael's correct. The whole event starts revving into high gear about September and the forms have traditionally been out October with the packets coming a week or two before the start of camping.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I supose I am just trying to get a jump start on things. Since I am basically starting from scratch (I showed up in 2007 and missed 2008) as I never was part of any camp, crew, and never even made it into the camps. I am trying to get things done right the first time and it takes alot of effort. I could throw together a pair of slops but then I wouldnt match my wife (sort of like a blond german playing the part of a chinese) and I want to be able to do things and match with her

id.jpg

Ah, this is the trouble with making an index thread...

I know Harry had a hand in making these forms and he won't be in charge of the event this year. So this year's forms (I am presuming there will be some) may not be the same. Or they may. Who knows? As Michael said, they haven't shown up until a month or so before the event began, so there is no reason to believe they will this year.

I mainly included this in the index to give folks an idea that there will probably be forms and you should keep a sharp eye - starting in, say, late September.

As for being ready for the event, no one is ever fully ready for the event. Even when you think you're ready, you'll find new things occurring to you in the last minute. My suggestion - if you're an org. freak like I can be - is to make a list of everything you want to do pre-PiP and then prioritize it. Start at the top and go. Maybe add to and check it over once a month or so, possibly re-orging it if you're really an org. freak. Otherwise you'll find yourself getting sidetracked on irrelevant projects. (Well that works for me when I'm tackling big projects.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hmm things like . . .

Make clothes

Make tent

Make blunderbuss

Make pistol blunderbuss

Make sword

Make a cartridge box

Make sea chests (will be small but impressive)

Make clavichord (for Shay)

Oh and of course Make some more cannons and mortars

This is just a real quick sample

id.jpg

Hmm things like . . .

Make clothes

May I suggest breaking it down into finer steps? You need one that you can cross items off occasionally - which lowers anxiety instead of increasing it. My get up (much of which Michael made for me since I am not good at sewing) includes at least 7 items - hat, coat, waistcoat, shirt, slops, socks (easier to buy) and shoes (not as easy to buy, but buy them anyway). A list like yours would frustrate me once the novelty wore off and reality set in. Being able to cross things off regularly fends off frustration. Also, an important key to lists is working on only one item at a time - until it's finished. (I give a training on organizing large tasks sometimes. Feel free to tell me to pipe down if you don't want to hear it. ;) )

Mission_banner5.JPG

I don't want to be discouraging, specially since I have never done it... But I have considered it and read up on it a fair bit...

But making a pistol and/or blunderbuss, if you are a pro, or semi-pro, or at least experienced maker, okay ignore this. BUT, if you have never carved a flintlock stock before or done the other steps in making a pistol or blunderbuss, from everything I have read, most hobbyists (guys who make these occasionally, or just are just learning), tend to spend three to four months on a single project of that nature. Now you have to firearms on your list, PIP/Fort Taylor Pirate Festival is 6 months out, do the math, that doesn;t leave you time for the other items on your list, unless you are an experienced builder, or have way more time to dedicate to the pistol and blunderbuss builds than your average hobbyist.

One thing you may really want to do with your list, is itemize it more in depth as Mission advised, but also do some serious research on how long it took other people to achieve those same goals or at least similar ones.

cheers

Michael_banner.jpg

I don't want to be discouraging, specially since I have never done it... But I have considered it and read up on it a fair bit...

But making a pistol and/or blunderbuss, if you are a pro, or semi-pro, or at least experienced maker, okay ignore this. BUT, if you have never carved a flintlock stock before or done the other steps in making a pistol or blunderbuss, from everything I have read, most hobbyists (guys who make these occasionally, or just are just learning), tend to spend three to four months on a single project of that nature. Now you have to firearms on your list, PIP/Fort Taylor Pirate Festival is 6 months out, do the math, that doesn;t leave you time for the other items on your list, unless you are an experienced builder, or have way more time to dedicate to the pistol and blunderbuss builds than your average hobbyist.

One thing you may really want to do with your list, is itemize it more in depth as Mission advised, but also do some serious research on how long it took other people to achieve those same goals or at least similar ones.

cheers

I am working with the Viceroy on these and already have the wax work finished. As for making the stocks I have done all of that before. Regards to making cannons, once again I have done this before. The clothes I hope to trade some pistol/chest work to Shay so she can make some clothes for me. As for guns, I am making a large buss, a smaller buss, a pistol buss (if I can get a lock for it), and at least 2 different boxlocks that should be popular with the ladies. Once I get these made I will be making master patterns to reproduce and sell. I have already contacted Loyalist and they may be interested in carrying the boxlocks when I get some built.

id.jpg