Brown bess flintlock

Captrhedd

Wow, that looks really nice! The shaved down stock and wooden rammer are great!

Well thank you - No original thought went into it, I completely stole the ideas from a conversation with Cascabel.

Wow, a handsome gun indeed! I have yet invested any time into my gun as I am waiting to meet up with a few others who fire black powder. I slept with it by the end table and my girl started to get a little jealous. So now I pick up the gun and whisper to it when she comes in to the room just to tease her.

More on this little piece when my friends look at it, thank you for keeping up with me and the gun. (Whose name is now Joan.)

• 2 weeks later...
Well thank you - No original thought went into it, I completely stole the ideas from a conversation with Cascabel.
Wow, a handsome gun indeed! I have yet invested any time into my gun as I am waiting to meet up with a few others who fire black powder. I slept with it by the end table and my girl started to get a little jealous. So now I pick up the gun and whisper to it when she comes in to the room just to tease her.

More on this little piece when my friends look at it, thank you for keeping up with me and the gun. (Whose name is now Joan.)

:blink:Joan - that's great.

Show some pictures once your friends take a look at it.

Here's a couple pictures that Cascabel took after he replaced the cock and did some other work on it for me. As you can see it was before I shaved down the stock and replaced the ramrod.

med_gallery_201_13_14766.jpg

med_gallery_201_13_18162.jpg

• 6 months later...

These guns did indeed come in every state described above, but for a reason, the same reason as the different quality of India guns. Every other country that allows these to be imported for sghooting purposes requires them to be proofed and serial numbered, except the US. muzzel loaders under federal law are exempt firearms from the natl. act. The Japaneese (sorry) guns were imported as decoraters as well as shooters. you wikll notice serial # on the guns with properly installed breech plugs, some decoraters were sent with a mixture of good and bad parts but never had the vent drilled. a gun made to firing specs ciost the maker a lot more money and the market wouln't bear it here,also some "dealers" here had the guns made well, but without the vent or proof testing leading to confusion at the country of origin as to their intended use. I have intended shooting versions of the pistol and musket and they work very well indeed. I have had others with decent barrells but couldn't get a spark . My solution, for spark and looks is a rework of vthe stock and a minor handfit of the lock from track of the wolf, can't remember the name but is a goose neck scaled down bess type lock made by L&R that sparks great. the conversion is under a hundred dollars, and yes, I do shoot them live on occasion if they have the propper breech plug.

the further away from Scotland ye roam, the more Scottish ye become

• 2 months later...
Capt Rhedd,

This be James B. Hawke of Ye Pyrate Brotherhood. That piece looks strikingly like our Quatermasters gun that we have fired many times. All the marking are the same as well the overall look. I would suggest bringing it to one of our next get togethers so Liam La Croix (Bill) can give it a eyeballin'.

Fair winds to you and yer bonny lass.

James B. Hawke

(aka Gregory Serra)

Ship's Cooper

Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Funny you say that. I was waiting for the next time we get together for your opion on this little bit of fun. I need to go to the link to see when next we meet.

I am so itching to fire this but common sense has the better of me.

Now how much for a cannon?

Capt. J.A. Rhedd

The Devil's Chariot

NY Harbor

Now yur talkin, what kinda cannon yur lookin fur??

8" to 30

swivel to mortar

letme know and i'll throw sum prices at ya

and just to say, i sold a .69 cal smooth , looked just like yours. the gent came to me several events later tells me the frizzen snapped in half on a fire. we are currently working to replace it with a newer lock.

an iffen yur lookin for another iron in the basket, i have the huge sale right now , look here https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=15535 an if ya cant do the sale now, i do accept payments on in stock items (shameless plug)

Asolfr

Captain of the Blacktyde

Purveyor of Asolfr's Workshoppe

"If I don't have it, i'll find it

If I can't find it, i'll make it

If I can't make it, I'll steal it"

So says Asolfr the Pirate

• 2 weeks later...
Capt Rhedd,

This be James B. Hawke of Ye Pyrate Brotherhood. That piece looks strikingly like our Quatermasters gun that we have fired many times. All the marking are the same as well the overall look. I would suggest bringing it to one of our next get togethers so Liam La Croix (Bill) can give it a eyeballin'.

Fair winds to you and yer bonny lass.

James B. Hawke

(aka Gregory Serra)

Ship's Cooper

Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Funny you say that. I was waiting for the next time we get together for your opion on this little bit of fun. I need to go to the link to see when next we meet.

I am so itching to fire this but common sense has the better of me.

Now how much for a cannon?

Capt. J.A. Rhedd

The Devil's Chariot

NY Harbor

Now yur talkin, what kinda cannon yur lookin fur??

8" to 30

swivel to mortar

letme know and i'll throw sum prices at ya

and just to say, i sold a .69 cal smooth , looked just like yours. the gent came to me several events later tells me the frizzen snapped in half on a fire. we are currently working to replace it with a newer lock.

an iffen yur lookin for another iron in the basket, i have the huge sale right now , look here https://pyracy.com/in...showtopic=15535 an if ya cant do the sale now, i do accept payments on in stock items (shameless plug)

RE above description,the easiest reliable new lock is L&R queen ann lock, as Track of the wolf sells. the quickest fix with a reliable ending. I run into these guns all the time, if you are in the business you will too.

the further away from Scotland ye roam, the more Scottish ye become

• 5 months later...
RE above description,the easiest reliable new lock is L&R queen ann lock, as Track of the wolf sells. the quickest fix with a reliable ending. I run into these guns all the time, if you are in the business you will too.

Question, is there much inletting work if one were to use the QA lock you describe?

Also, did the original trigger work with the QA lock?

Thanks,

Highlander

Edited by Stynky Tudor

• 1 month later...

Just purchase one of these pistols on ebay they had 2 on there site. The one I got is suppose to hold a cock and fire the other one didn't. Yeah I know there not suppose to sell anything that shoots, but am hoping I can fix it up enough to shoot blanks. Thanks for all the great pictures and ideas for this gun. just hope I didn't get taken.

Just purchase one of these pistols on ebay they had 2 on there site. The one I got is suppose to hold a cock and fire the other one didn't. Yeah I know there not suppose to sell anything that shoots, but am hoping I can fix it up enough to shoot blanks. Thanks for all the great pictures and ideas for this gun. just hope I didn't get taken.

Pistol came in today, looks to be in good shape. Missing the flint, will have to pick some up and test fire it. Will only be using it for blanks. Am going to try to modify it as per the pictures in this post.

the easiest reliable new lock is L&R queen ann lock, as Track of the wolf sells. the quickest fix with a reliable ending. I run into these guns all the time, if you are in the business you will too.

Just to be clear, this lock: English style Queen Anne fowling gun Flint Lock, by L&R, or another?

I might be doing this conversion soon myself. A friend of mine did this once, but used a large Siler. It took a little shim around the lockplate. Interesting look, but I would appreciate a better fit conversion, if available.

• 2 years later...

Very nice images, and I will agree with John and Bo.

I also have one, slightly modified to backdate it.

Brass tipped wooden ramrod, thinned out the stock at the muzzle, added a belt hook.

Mine suffers from a weak mainspring. I had a gunsmith take a look and was told it couldn't be repaired.

Not sure I believe that.

But something else to be aware of.

Nice find!

Oy Mate,

I do believe that Gunsmith head must be full of seaweed to turn down such an Easy job. All you need to do, is the following to retemper thine Mainspring:

1. Ye must heat thine Mainspring till it be glowin a nice cherry red or orange, then emediatly quench it in water (this will reharden it, it now needs to be tempered).

2. Polish thine Mainspring, the shinier the better (this will aid in the tempering pocess bellow).

3. There be two ways to go about the tempering of thine Mainspring, I shalt tell thee both ways.

a. Cook in heat treating oven at 850 degree F until thine spring turns light Blue in color, then emediatly quench in motor oil. Or,

b. Fill the bottom of a tin can with sand, placing thine spring on top of the sand, and place can on top of a fire (the sand will distribute the heat evenly over thine spring). watch for thine spring to turn light Blue in color, then emediatly quench in motor oil (this way takes a little longer then a oven, but is simple and effective).

Thats it, I hope this can be of some help to thee.

Cheers Mate!

Very nice images, and I will agree with John and Bo.

I also have one, slightly modified to backdate it.

Brass tipped wooden ramrod, thinned out the stock at the muzzle, added a belt hook.

Mine suffers from a weak mainspring. I had a gunsmith take a look and was told it couldn't be repaired.

Not sure I believe that.

But something else to be aware of.

Nice find!

Oy Mate,

I do believe that Gunsmith head must be full of seaweed to turn down such an Easy job. All you need to do, is the following to retemper thine Mainspring:

1. Ye must heat thine Mainspring till it be glowin a nice cherry red or orange, then emediatly quench it in water (this will reharden it, it now needs to be tempered).

2. Polish thine Mainspring, the shinier the better (this will aid in the tempering pocess bellow).

3. There be two ways to go about the tempering of thine Mainspring, I shalt tell thee both ways.

a. Cook in heat treating oven at 850 degree F until thine spring turns light Blue in color, then emediatly quench in motor oil. Or,

b. Fill the bottom of a tin can with sand, placing thine spring on top of the sand, and place can on top of a fire (the sand will distribute the heat evenly over thine spring). watch for thine spring to turn light Blue in color, then emediatly quench in motor oil (this way takes a little longer then a oven, but is simple and effective).

Thats it, I hope this can be of some help to thee.

Cheers Mate!