Rare Crimson Jolly Roger Restored

I found this while searching the web for the true Jolly Roger's, thought all ye Pirate's would like to see this, I thought it was very interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/6222054.stm

Wales Produced more Pirates per mile of coastline than any other European country.

Dafydd Meirion, author of "Welsh Pirates"

Nice article...shame the piece isn't from the Golden Age...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Nice article...shame the piece isn't from the Golden Age...

I thought the same here, I saw the date 1780, oh well, not the Golden Age 1690 to 1720, but close, but like you said, an interesting artical.

Wales Produced more Pirates per mile of coastline than any other European country.

Dafydd Meirion, author of "Welsh Pirates"

Nice bit of work. I like the fact that the flag is such a simple design. No black hearts, no hour glasses, no crossed swords, etc.

And of course, I love the color! <_<

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Tis intreguing indeed.

Most intregued with the skull and bones... they seem shaded unless that's just by time.

Did I miss this, or did it state that the skull and bones were applied to one side?

Would be fantastic to have a look see at these pirate colours nonetheless.

GAoP or not... it's still a period piece and desires some careful study! Heck, no different than the Colours that Tarleton captured and was recently up for auction!

Priceless pieces they all are.

~Lady B

<_<

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 3 years later...

Saw an interesting article about a recovered 200+ red pirate flag. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2074868/Rare-red-Jolly-Roger-pirate-flag-captured-battle-north-Africa-230-years-ago-goes-display-time.html

I have come across so many thoughts on the subject of pirate flags, including theories on the "known" pirate flags being fakes from the 19th century.

Most of the pirate flags I have read about in primary sources just say pirate flag or black flag.

Wondering what the thoughts on the pub were.

It may be real, but it's 70 years or so past the GAoP.

If you're seeking info on authentic flags, Swashbuckler 1700 has what is probably the most concise resource - Foxe's website. If you want to go digging, you can find several topics around here on the subject including:

The Jolly Roger

Flags and the Death's Head "Memento Mori"

The Jolly Roger in popular literature - Examining modern pirate flags

History of the Jolly Roger - Discussion of a web-based version of the history featuring lots of Templar nonsense

Flags: Black vs. RED - Discussion of red and black flags and the 'jolie rouge' theory

Rare Crimson Jolly Roger Restored - this very thread about an alleged red pirate flag

Pyrate Mythory - Discussion of Foxe's pirate flags page.

BLACK!! - Some bits of "How to" for those interested in making a PC flag

Captain Kidd's Flag - Or not

Flags for POTC - Striving to make an historical-like flag for the Disney movies

Union Jack (OK, this has nothing to do with pirate flags, but it's interesting anyhow.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

If you're seeking info on authentic flags, Swashbuckler 1700 has what is probably the most concise resource - Foxe's website. If you want to go digging, you can find several topics around here on the subject including:

The Jolly Roger

The Jolly Roger in popular literature - Another most interesting thread

History of the Jolly Roger - A history featuring lots of Templar nonsense

Flags: Black vs. RED - Discussion of the 'jolie rouge' terminology

Pyrate Mythory - Foxe talking about his new pirate flags page. :lol:

Union Jack (OK, this has nothing to do with pirate flags, but it's interesting anyhow.)

The red flag can really be fake there is many details that don't seem right..

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

The Jolly Roger

The Jolly Roger in popular literature - Another most interesting thread

History of the Jolly Roger - A history featuring lots of Templar nonsense

Flags: Black vs. RED - Discussion of the 'jolie rouge' terminology

Pyrate Mythory - Foxe talking about his new pirate flags page. :lol:

The red flag can really be fake there is many details that don't seem right..

I am no expert on flags, so what looks wrong?

The flag in the Daily Mail article has recently been discussed here: https://pyracy.com/index.php/topic/18467-sword-on-flag-question/

My thoughts on pirate flags could run to many many pages (see my posts in Mission's links above!), but my over-riding thought is this: taking all of the period references to pirate flags together, the most common device was easily the good ol' skull and cross bones.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

This goes under this tread:

R. Platt's book "Pirate" (one of those good books and easy to read) says that there was sailmaker widow that sewed pirate flags for brandy pay. This was in nasssau. But is this just a story? If there truth in it it could explain why so many of those nassau pirates's flags were quite similar (if she sewed similar flags). At least John Taylor, Sam Bellamy, John Martel and Edward England all used classic desing with skull and bones.

I am interested also which pirate flags were described by victims. I think that Wynne's flag and england's flag were both described by victims but is there much more.

To give some comfort I post some real flag desings to to brighten up this thread's look. All of these should have somekind of period mention but that is the style 100% autentic it is unlikely.

fgrob2.gif

B. Roberts'

redskeleton.jpg

Ed. Low's

wynne.gif

E. Wynne's

jolly-roger-flag-granger.jpg

Ed. England's

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

John Paul Jones

I've never come across a period reference to the Nassau widow I'm afraid, or even any other modern reference.

Emmanuel Wynne's flag was described by a Royal Navy officer, I forget who described England's, but I think it was one of the officers of the East India Company ship Cassandra. Other pirates known to have flown the skull and cross bones or a simple variant include Blackbeard, Thomas Cocklyn and others

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I've never come across a period reference to the Nassau widow I'm afraid, or even any other modern reference.

Emmanuel Wynne's flag was described by a Royal Navy officer, I forget who described England's, but I think it was one of the officers of the East India Company ship Cassandra. Other pirates known to have flown the skull and cross bones or a simple variant include Blackbeard, Thomas Cocklyn and others

I find it funny that often books like many gordingly's and others say someting like "classical skull and cross bones were used only by some pirates but it was not only style in Jolly Rogers"(or at least they deemphasize the classic tsyle's popularity) and in fact it was really one of the most common desings but not only one. I have done only some study over the years and really most common flags were skull and bones, just a skull or some anatomys or skeletons...

That nassau story can be real but we will newver know...

Oh and it was Cassandra's officers who described England's J Roger.

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

John Paul Jones

• 5 weeks later...

I merged the above post with this one since they're about the same thing. Just to keep things tidy, you know.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Flat out deleting someone's thread always seems sort of harsh to me. It makes the poster wonder what they did wrong.

The title of this thread is pretty broad, even though it started off being about the very same thing.

One of these days I am going to stitch [hah!] all the generic flag threads together so that there is only one easy-to-find thread on the topic. (I will not do this with threads on a specific point about flags, just the generic ones.)

Mission_banner5.JPG