Tomato Pie Recipe - SO GOOD!

verymerryseamstress

I know the name of it doesn't sound all that appetizing, but this is, hands-down, one of the best-tasting meals I've ever eaten. I have yet to find anyone who doesn't LOVE this. It's terribly unhealthy, but SO worth the extra calories and artery-clogging ingredients. Don't try this unless you're prepared to become a tomato pie addict!

Now that tomatoes are ripe on the vine, I thought you'd be want some recipes to use up those extra 'maters. We make ten of these at a time and freeze them to eat all winter long. ENJOY!

Tomato Pie

1 1/4 cup flour

2 Teaspoons of baking powder

1/4 Teaspoon of crushed basil

1/2 Teaspoon of salt

1/2 Cup of solid shortening (I use butter Crisco)

1/2 Cup Sour Cream

5 large tomatoes peeled and sliced

3/4 - 1 cup of mayo

1 Tablespoon of chopped onions

1 Cup shredded white cheddar cheese (I think I'm a little more generous)

1/2 pound of Bacon fried and patted and cut into pieces

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and basil. Add in shortening. I use a pastry cutter and cut till it crumbly. Add sour cream and mix until dough is moist enough to hold together. Spread or pat dough into greased 9" pie pan (along bottom and sides) to form a crust. Place the sliced tomatoes on the crust. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put the bacon on top. Combine mayonnaise, cheese, onion and spoon over top. Spread to cover the tomatoes/bacon.

Bake at 355 degrees for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.

Very Merrily,

Heather

• 1 month later...

Okay, now that the Pub is back up I need to write down this recipe down. It sounds sooo good I am gonna have to try it.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.