Sword knots

Barbados Jack

Can any of ye tell me whether a sword knot was used on cutlasses ? It seems logical so that they wouldn't lose them in a fight, but is it period ?

Thanks

Barbados Jack

**** When daylight fades, Darkness prevails****

** Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez **

" We sail within a vast sphere, Ever drifting in uncertainty, Driven from end to end"

- Pascal-

Never heard of same.

Aboard naval or merchant vessels, cutlasses were the property of the vessel, were stowed in casks, generally without scabbards, and placed in strategic locations as battle was anticipated, to be grabbed by whoever.

Pirates, of course, owned and maintained their individual weapons...hmmm...

B)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

The typical cutlass is a bit blade heavy and therefore hangs down in the scabbard well. Also, a well-made sheathe or scabbard will hold the sword in during most activity. If you are having problems with the cutlass being a bit loose, look into having a new scabbard made for it. Make sure it is a leather-wrapped wooden one, as they tend to work best. I might be able to come up with a couple of names for you, if you need them.

Never seen a sword knot on a cutlass or the like. Mostly they seem to be used on cavalry sabres, so you don't lose it or break your wrist. Officer types seem to have picked up the idea as a bit of decoration. If i was fighting on deck, or more especially *between* decks, I'd want to be able to get rid of the cutlass to be able to grab a line if necessary. Also, If I'm changing hands between sword and pistol, the sword knot would just be in the way.

As I said, I've never seen reference to the practice.

Gary- you collect originals. Ever have one come with a knot?

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg