Clamshell Cutlass for Mad Jack Morgan

1stMate Matt

A while back mr Mad Jack asked me to make him a clamshell cutlass. He sent me a little picture that for the life of me I can not find. I am sure he will chime in with it.

He also asked me if he could get some "in the works" photos. I figured I might as well post them here for everyone to see.

I already rough ground the edge so we will have to start there.

l_3ed4ae2cd3e3adafc313c66c22fce96d.jpg

Here is the blade rough ground.

l_d705f1129162e07c580d2cf71d5ff675.jpg

Here is the clamshell as a flat blank cutout. This will end up fulling formed and traditionaly chiseled.

This is just a start. I will have more pcitures later.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

How long does it take to make a cutlass? Suppose my wench wanted to surprise me with a blade for Christmas, when should she have the order placed?

Normally it takes about 2 weeks.

X-mas orders should be in by dec 1st to make sure it gets done. We sometimes get slammed around Christmas.

thatworks.shop

Normally it takes about 2 weeks.

Wow, that's an incredible turn around time! I have a guy making me a sword who quoted me 6-8 weeks, and that was 12 weeks ago (and he still doesn't sound like he's nearing completion). I look forward to seeing the progression on this blade Matt. Good show.

Well to be honest this one is long over due. Had alot of different things come up but normaly 2 weeks is plenty of time for a cutlass.

The next step I did was to dish the clamshell blank.

l_6fecc2abee4d025d32ba5a4ed3e9e51c.jpg

Next I drew with a sharpie on the dished clamshell where I wanted to chisel.

l_38c246754afa22aff557a33013f1c121.jpg

Next I chiseled on the lines. I used 10 gauge steel.

l_e1fc8826419c68d17442e6cc9264f318.jpg

Some people stop here. We often stop here aswell. This time I am going to grind some more shape into the scallops.

l_a95d9add684f0d0998e52fda3ec33b26.jpg

Here you can see the peaks that I ground into the scallops.

l_70ae4f4553fc7fe1682a360fa7de5c71.jpg

Then repeat on the smaller shell...

l_4fb0b0cc3b28d783504e951165ebfb0f.jpg

Then I just polished it out.

Next would be the knucklebow...

thatworks.shop

Awesome! Bloody beautiful mate! I'm drooling into me rum. As before, cant wait to hold it in me hands!

blank.jpg

"That as to hanging, it is no great hardship, for were it not for that, every cowardly fellow would turn pirate and so unfit the Seas,

that men of courage must starve."

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."

I'm impressed ., very nice work indeed sir :( I'll be following this thread closely . Awesome !

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Aye,... I like that! Wonderful workmanship, mate! I'm impressed!

A man o' many talents, ye be... the magazine... the swords... damnable, man, be there nothing ye can do in th' piratical world? B)

Careful there, Mad Jack Morgan... ye may have a couple o' devils down that direction want yo'r sword. B)

~Lady B

B)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I'll just run! Like a dwarf, I am. Very dangerous over short distances. :ph34r:

blank.jpg

"That as to hanging, it is no great hardship, for were it not for that, every cowardly fellow would turn pirate and so unfit the Seas,

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."

Now I know that I said the knucklebow was next, but I didn't feel like turning the forge on in the mid-day heat. So I polished the blade out and took a few pictures along the way.

First is the blade after heat treat. I roughed it with a 120 grit.

clamshellcutlass1i.JPG

Then I go to a 220 grit. I forgot to take a picture of that step. This is the 14" contact wheel that I use for the finishing sanding.

clamshellcutlass1j.JPG

Here is the blade at 300 grit.

clamshellcutlass1k.JPG

and here is our finnal finish. This is hand scrubbed with a bit of 1200 grit and buffed.

clamshellcutlass1l.JPG

As you can see, when I polish my edges out I like to do it at a slight angle to make sure I get all of the previous grit out. It also gives the edge a bit more definition from the flat of the blade. I think I am alone in the way I do my edges.

thatworks.shop

Matt said earlier he couldnt find the reference pics I sent him for Teagues' sword. So I resent them to him, and I'll post them here. Sadly, I havent been able to get a pic of anything other than the pommel and part of the shell hand guard, but I think it's going to rock regardless!

PDVD_000.jpg

PDVD_001.jpg

PDVD_023.jpg

blank.jpg

• 1 month later...
Wooo whooo the Pub is back. I have been waiting to finish this post out for awhile now. The sword is on it's way to Mad Jack but I have tons of pictures to update with. stay tuned.

Pictures! Show us pictures!

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

The sword is on it's way to Mad Jack.....

Ahhhh, music to me ears!!! I cant bloody wait, mates. I'll post plenty o' pics as well once she makes port!

blank.jpg

Its here, its here! I cannot begin to describe to you all its glory, heh. If I werent out the door for the weekends events, I'd post all sorts of pics, but you'll have to wait till the weekend is over!

blank.jpg

Cool. Glad you like it. I will get the last few pictures that I took posted. I actually was in Tony Swatton's shop this weekend and I got to hold the sword that was in the movie. We got it pretty close. Other then the wood handle.

thatworks.shop

beautiful sword.. wishing I could own one but not with my bills.. ah well.. its still a beauty!

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

I hear ya on the bills thing, Merry. I actually sold one of my costumes from the galaxy far, far away to pay for the sword. Well worth it in my opinion.

Now I know I said I'd have pics up after last weekend, but well, time got away from me, heh. :(

So here are some now!

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

blank.jpg

Umm, sorry. :( Just tried to get some up. I'll try to get a costumed pic or two this week.

blank.jpg