Would you know?

Blackfoot

This may sound a bit strange to some, but I think I will have some agreement here.

Recently, I watched one of these crime shows where a "treasure-hunting" high school teacher hired a "professional treasure-hunter" to assist him in finding sunken ships laden with gold and treasure. The hired hand reminded this teacher that "he seemed like a pirate from the Golden Age and he 'just had that pirate swagger." Make a long story short, the teacher had dished out thousands of dollars to this man and the man took off with loot. The teacher referred to the man as a "modern day Golden Age of Pirate..Pirate. Not because of the crime, but because of his personality and demeanor.

What my point is (and I am not referring to our presence at a Ren Faire) but anywhere in public in our day to day life is can you "recognize a pirate in public?"

You are walking down the street in normal modern day clothes and you happen to pass by a person you have never met. Lets say...Captain Sterling, Patrick Hand, Matt L, Lady Barbossa, anyone! Could you tell this person "is a pirate?" Sometimes, this person may not even know it if ya know what I mean."

I have been to places where I have met a "piratee type of person." I hang around with tons of bikers. When I party with them, I almost liken it to partying with pirates. I think if I walked by some of you, I would probably recognize that you have some "pirate qualities"

Am I crazy or is it just late and my mind is driftin'?

signature4.jpg]

Depends on how you are judging.

1) Attitude

2) Appearance

3) Behavior

Aye. some yes, others not so much so. I would be HIGHLY surprised if anyone recognized me as a pyrate. I can not imagine Captain Jim or Patrick Hand as anything BUT pyrates. I do however understand your point of view. They often don't even know they are pyrates. Many do, as bikers, masquerade as other "personas". I know a few "hippie" types that just "read" as pyrate.

That having been said, I am a very visual sort and am referring to a persons appearance. I rely on my instincts to judge a "real" pyrate and I would likely not spend time with that person.

Then there are the pyrate "type's" just like pyrate garb. Are they Hollywood ...handsome but not too smelly and suave with good teeth? Are they authentic ...I can tell you after a long weekend in key west ...Patrick was VERY authentic ...don't stand down wind! Have they patched clothing missing teeth? Are they wicked. Are they just roguish?

Oh, and yes ...you are crazy.

That's a good question.

I've known pirates who never dressed like one and I know lots of people who dress as pirates but aren't. When you are one, you know others easily, on the street, in a bar... it's just like you never see a PT Cruiser until you own one -- suddenly they're everywhere.

As for me. I just had the pleasure of being called Henry Morgan by the locals in Port Royal, even though I was in tourist clothes. That's what got me started portraying him.

Several years ago a women leaving church stopped me on the street there. She said, "You've been here before?" I said, "No, never." She replied, "Yes you have. Many times." And then she walked on.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

My latest description from Spike of Bone Islanders can only leave me wondering if you could pick me out in a crowd... he was telling me the plans for the pub brawl scenario for this year's Pip... he said "And then there is Capt. Sterling, ominious, straight laced, play it by the book...the hero and yet ye scare the crap out of everyone..." and the one spectator who claimed I looked like a "serial killing, psycho puritan" hmmm must be the hat...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I have always said that many "bikers" are modern-day pirates...

And that is based primarily on the attitude, not on the crimes thay may-or-may-not commit !

That's very true. I used to party as a pirate with members of the Hell's Angels and the Bandidos in Seattle and they would tell you that they thought of themselves as the modern day pirates. Must be why we got along so well.

From my upcoming memoirs...

"After the parade, the pirates went into the local tavern on the main street. It was lined with motorcycles. One of the local biker clubs (or gangs, depending how you want to view it), were already inside.

Bikers love pirates. I was told once by a Hell’s Angels member once that they see themselves as the modern day pirates. So even though any one of them could kill any one of us at a moment’s notice, we always partied well together.

It was in this bar that this became very evident. We were all sucking down drinks when the head of the bikers gets up on the bar. He’s going to do a little toast. So up jumps Kenny Baker, one of our pirates to stand with him. One thing leads to another as the joking goes back and forth and before I know it, Kenny rips the side of the guy’s jeans from the hem to the waistband.

All I heard was a big ripping sound and the room went silent. I turned towards the bar. Without missing a beat, Kenny rips the other leg the same way. Another big rip. More silence.

I am standing here next to a group of bikers. I’m a lowly mailroom clerk that can barely lick a stamp, let alone any one of the bikers in this room. I think to myself, “wow, I’m going to die right here in this little bar.”

Finally, the biker guy lets out a huge roar of laughter. He thought it was funny that his pair of jeans was now in shreds. He hoisted a toast to Kenny. We all toasted back. And then everyone started buying everyone else a drink."

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I agree with the biker thing. I've partied with some, and know members of a biker group, although I don't hang out with them. It's all part of that outlaw, misfits, highwayman image. I suppose pirates fall into that same category. It still amazes me that men who were considered the dregs of society back then, are now the romantic heros of today. Even bikers have that certain rough glamor. Maybe that's how you tell a person is a pirate these days — but I don't believe, if someone saw me walking down the street, they would instantly think "Pirate." Although I have been told I walk with a slight swagger — even in 4" heels. :ph34r:

And Silkie is right, I couldn't imagine Patrick Hand being anything else!

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I don't believe, if someone saw me walking down the street, they would instantly think "Pirate."

That's me, too. I'm about as un-piratey looking as they come. But you all know where my heart lies. Never judge a book...

My friend (who's into vampires) and I have a little guy-watching game called "pirate or vampire?" where we assess whether the gentleman in question would make a better pirate or vampire. It's usually based on hair, build and demeanor, but sometimes it comes down to the look in their eye. And those are the guys we usually fight over. (Metaphorically speaking, of course ;) ) We assess the women sometimes, but that's a little tougher. Plus, we prefer to look at the boys. :ph34r:

Recently some friends and I were having a similar discussion around if someone looked like a "gamer" or not (dungeons and dragons). Since DnD has a reputation as a game for dorks and the hygenically challenged, and I am an avid gamer, I had to ask if I looked like a gamer.

"No", the one responded, "but you look like one of those people who would hang out at the renissance faire".

I'm still not sure what to make of that! :ph34r:

Ye have t' look'em in the eyes, it be th' eyes what give a person away; th' eyes be th' gateway t' th' soul.

If th' eyes says he's a pirate then he a pirate, if th' eyes says he a fake then he a fake.

One can pretend t' be what ever they want, but th' eyes will give them away for they can naught hide their soul.

Now if they be wear'n cheap sunglasses then it can be hard, but most likely even th' sunglasses be given them away as they most likely naught be pirate but just a ZZ Top fan.

But th' ones t' worry bout be th' ones with no soul....look int' a person's eyes 'n ye can naught tell? THEY GOT NO SOUL!

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

"And then there is Capt. Sterling, ominious, straight laced, play it by the book...the hero and yet ye scare the crap out of everyone..." and the one spectator who claimed I looked like a "serial killing, psycho puritan" hmmm must be the hat...

B)B)B)B)

ROTDLMAO!

Oh, God now THAT is hilarious!!!!

How to tell if the average person might be a pirate? Hold a bag of booty and and see if they take it....and if they do....

Presto! You got a pirate!

Not just take it, but it's more HOW they take the bag of booty! ;)

Tis honestly tough 'round here. Some guys who would pass off great on a pirate ship, hell times I wished I had a ship I'd offer them a "job" as a pirate on a pirate ship! They have that look like today saw a tall, lanky gent with dirty blonde hair in dreadlocks! He just had that look. Now, did he put off that pirate vibe? Nope. Not at all.

Many here that just can't pull off the pirate vibe at all. They try... but just can't. Actually, I shouldn't say they try at all... they just don't! Sparce and slim pickin's here for Pirates. <_< I've come to find out.

Now... good Colonial citizens... or the sort... even Beckett wanna-be's.... yeah, plenty of those. More than enough actually.

Suffercating this poor Pirate Lady !!!

Again, some can or possibly pull off the look but... :::Shrugs:::

And no. I don't think it's possible to really spot a pirate so easily. Especially we pirates unless in our pirate attire and the person has no clue we are pirates.

~Lady B

B)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

"And then there is Capt. Sterling, ominious, straight laced, play it by the book...the hero and yet ye scare the crap out of everyone..."  and the one spectator who claimed I looked like a "serial killing, psycho puritan"  hmmm must be the hat...

:lol:B):lol::lol:

ROTDLMAO!

There is nothing funny about my hat! ;)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

"And then there is Capt. Sterling, ominious, straight laced, play it by the book...the hero and yet ye scare the crap out of everyone..."  and the one spectator who claimed I looked like a "serial killing, psycho puritan"  hmmm must be the hat...

B)B)B)B)

ROTDLMAO!

There is nothing funny about my hat! ;)

Hahaha... no... the hat is wicked.

But it's how they classified ye that is hilarious... "serial killing, psycho puritan"!

B):(:(

~Lady B

B)

I would have to say yes..

There are times I have been standing on line or just walking about and you see a person with the little affectations they can not totally conceal in the mundane world..might be a tattoo or two, the way they walk, earrings and a beard, just their demeanor depending on the setting or some other small odd thing. You look at them and wonder...I bet they're a pirate..

Heh theres been once or twice I've been tempted to ask.

Would you know if I was?...hmmm perhaps... :(

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now, I am going t' agree. You can see a pirate in some folk. Its in the eye and the demeanor. People who are pirates walk with a certain swagger to themselves. I know, because I look for that swagger when tryin t' find other Irishmen an woman.

I've been told I'm intimidating nevertheless.

Oh, this is rich...

Not a soul recognizes me when out of my pirate clothing. But Halloween when I dressed in my crimson outfit... ye have NO idea how often I heard "Hey, I remember you! You were that pirate at RAGBRAI" or something along those lines. I wasn't sure if I was embarassed or charmed. I know my sister's kids were thrilled to hear it. They think I'm a wickedly cool pirate Aunt.

~Lady B

Com'on people, e'eryone can recognize a pirate. he be th' one what be fly'n th' skull 'n cross bones fer cry'n out loud!!!

...'n Rumba Rue, either someone has spiked me rum 'er them dance'n banana's have had TOO MUCH!!!! ;)

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Depends on how you are judging.

1) Attitude

2) Appearance

3) Behavior

I know a few "hippie" types that just "read" as pyrate.

it's funny that you mention hippie types. I know many that think of me as a hippie, I dress like one and sometimes act like one. But the people that know me definitely think of me as a pirate. I don't love peace, I pilfer, I plunder, I drink, and I curse like a goddamn sailor. But I just "read" as a hippie, but I'm a pirate inside, it's the opposite of how you mentioned. How do the two go hand in hand, may I ask?

Edited by HanaRead

annebonny2tz2.jpg

"Life's pretty good. And why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all."

Poeple are sometimes intimidated by my presents.. perhaps it is because

of my cold stare in the eye and me beard.... Is that the trait of a pirate ?

No, it is an evil attitude I sometimes take towards people . My co-workers think I am a pirate but they know what I do as a hobby and I always whare pirate 'T' shirts and a jolly Roger Ball cap...Dead give away. People on the street and me in me modern togs.. I think ye can get poeple to think your a millionaire if ye dressed for it. So it has to be PIRATITUDE

I have always thought of bikers as being urban pirates...

I like bikers but ain't one myself...

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."