Tall ships and where they were built

Dutchman

The master and commander thread wandered a bit, my appologies. The topic lead to the keel laying of ships. east coast v/s west coast style. To qualify as a tall ship lets say at least 100 feet on deck, traditional rig and a woody. (sorry royaliste, this knocks us both out- but we shall soon have enough for a Rosborough traditional rigged rendezvous!! huzzah!!!)

So east coast we have so far Rose, Kalmar Nykel, Schooner Virginia, Pride of Baltimore I & II, Pride of South Carolina, anything from the Herreshoff yard over 100 feet.

That LOD of 100' knocks a lot of tall ships out, such as the Maryland Dove, built right on the Chesapeake...

And the Continental Sloop Providence (she's 110' LOA)

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

it also knocks out all three of the jamestown boats, My own back yard. I think only two of them were built stateside anyhow- may be wrong though.

I thought about that, but to make the list noteworthy- over 100 feet on deck.

Then we get into exactly what makes it a tall ship anyhow. Case in point, maryland dove, three from jamestown, sultana, friends good will. are they really tall ships or traditionally rigged, called tall ships by the public. I have a 42 foot sloop whos mast is taller than the smallest from jamestown. therefor if we call all three from jamestown tall ships- which happens at festivals- is mine also a tall ship?

The largest one I can think of on the west coast is the Californian. Many of the tall ships currently out west that I can think of are less than 100 feet on deck, such as the Lady Washington, Lynx (which was built in Maine, but is based out of California), Irving Johnson and Exy Johnson. Now, if we include some historic, but out of period ships, then there's the Adventuress (1913) and Zodiac (1924), though they were both built in Maine. Although one step shy of a wreck today, the Wawona (1897) was built in CA as a lumber schooner and was the largest wooden schooner ever built.

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg