Coffee in GAOP

coffee was indeed around. from 1718 vice admiralty report:

seized from a pyrate vessel (late nov, don't know who though, bummer) brought to kegouhtan- now hampton roads.

2 casks whiskey

1 hhd Brown Sugar Quantity

1 cask cofffe

The sloop and furniture

another from 1735 lists coffe as 1 Bag of Coffee 128lbs, 1 Box Chocolate 40lbs.......

an interesting note is when coffee and chocolate are listed, the chocolate is almost always inventoried immediately after the coffee. maybe there is a clue here how it was consumed at the time.

we brew the coffee in camp by placing the beans in a muslin bag, hammering the beans then tossing the bag into a pot to boil.

Yeah, I have references even before that (although not handy), so coffee was definitely a feature of the period. I have one account of a Mexican pirate (outside period) who searched for and specifically took ships laden with coffee which he traded with local villages and sold in Cuba. Coffee would almost certainly be kept aboard ship in whole bean form, so storage would not be as big an issue as if it were ground. As for cargo spoilage (if that's why you ask about how it was stored), Edward Barlow's journal seems to regard spoilage as an inevitable part of transport.

Interesting note about it being stored in casks from Dutch. (This makes some sense - many things were stored in casks.) I wish I had access to my notes, as I sort of seem to recall mention of bags...but that may be for the Mexican, out-of-period pirate.

Although I haven't any notes to specifically state such, I don't have the impression that coffee was considered the mandatory morning motivator it is today. I do recall reading that one sailor or pirate required his morning cuppa' before going about business. (And they didn't drink it out of mugs, and ye'll not say as much lest you want to bring the wrath of Capt. Sterling upon ye. :lol: )

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

personally i usually bring my briki(greek coffee pot)....and make greek coffee at events....wife being greek/macedonian and all....sorta developed a taste for it...i also like bitter beer which i think helps....

course if'n ya ask me father-in-law(macedonian coffee)....hasnt changed in over a thousand years....why mess with perfection???

may have a point...and after ya drink your cup...gotta read the grounds at the bottom...as long as ya havent drank them too(i'm still learnin to stop before the sludge....much to my in-laws delight)

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Coffee History

Timeline

(Source: http://www.cappuccino.net/html/triviae.html )

c 850

First known discovery of coffee berries. Legend of goat herder Kaldi of Ethiopia who notices goats are friskier after eating red berries of a local shrub. Experiments with the berries himself and begins to feel happier.

c 1100

The coffee first trees are cultivated on the Arabian peninsula. Coffee is first roasted and boiled by Arabs making "qahwa" --- a beverage made from plants.

The worlds first coffee shop opens in Constantinople. It is followed by the establishment of two coffee houses in 1554.

c 1600

Coffee enters Europe through the port of Venice. The first coffeehouse opens in Italy in 1654.

Coffee is introduced to the New World by Captain John Smith, founder of Virginia at Jamestown... Some Canadian historians claim it arrived in previously settled Canada.

The first coffeehouse opens in England. Coffeehouses are called "penny universities" (a penny is charged for admission and a cup of coffee). Edward Lloyd's coffeehouse opens in 1688. It eventually becomes Lloyd's of London, the world's best known insurance company. The word “TIPS” is coined in an English coffee house: A sign reading “To Insure Prompt Service” (TIPS) was place by a cup. Those desiring prompt service and better seating threw a coin into a tin.

The opening of the first Parisian cafe dedicated to serving coffee. In 1713, King Louis XIV is presented with a coffee tree. It is believed that sugar was first used as an additive in his court.

The first coffeehouse opens in Vienna. The Turks, defeated in battle, leave sacks of coffee behind.

The Dutch become the first to transport and cultivate coffee commercially. Coffee is smuggled out of the Arab port of Mocha and transported to Ceylon and East Indies for cultivation.

The first coffeehouse opens in Berlin.

Coffee Plants are introduced in the Americas for cultivation. Gabriel de Clieu, a French naval officer, transports a seedling to Martinique. By 1777, 1920 million coffee plants are cultivated on the island.

The Brazilian coffee industry gets its start from seedlings smuggled out of Paris.

One of Europe's first coffeehouses, Cafe Greco, opens in Rome. By 1763, Venice has over 2,000 coffee shops.

The prototype of the first espresso machine is created in France.

Pirate's Coffee recipe

1 oz Kahlua® coffee liqueur

1 oz spiced rum

8 oz coffee

• 2 weeks later...

Coffee and rum are very good together. If you like yer sweetners, then it becomes like the liquers. (Irish Cream etc.) My Blondiewench likes the French Vanilla, and with a shot o' rum, makes fer a damn good wake up drink! Havin coffee n rum right now as a matter of fact. But then I got all my chores done early too. B) I'm using Ron Zacapa this time. Last bottle was Sea Wynde. B)

Bo

I have a book entitlted "Early American Beverages" by John Hull Brown. It gives the types of drinks, their recipes and uses in it. There were many types of coffees used and a good many of them listed under medicial purpose.

Coffee was thought to "accelerate digestion, correct crudities, removes colic and fatulencience....migrating headaches, cherishes the animal spirits, takes away listlessness and languor, and is serviceable in all obstructions arising from languid circulation. It is a wonderful restorative emaciated constitutions, and highly refreshing to the studious and sedentary.

The habitual use of coffee would greatly promote sobriety being in itself a cordial stimulant; it is a most powerful antidote to the temptation of spirituous liquors. It will be found a wlecome beverage to the robust labourer, who would despise a lighter drink.

I have receipes for "Acorn Coffee", "Milk Coffee" , "Arabian", "boy's" , and "Turkish" .

The text also includes a list of "Substitutes" when coffee itself was not available.

OH, yes the book gives some information about the taverns...and yes, some of the information is listed after the GAoP, however it clearly states that these receipes were used for several generations...therefore, I felt comfortable in providing the above information.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

OH, "Milk Coffee" was thought to be greatlly beneficial to anyone with a problem with lungs and therefore was highly suggested to consume at breakfast time.

A little note - when the "Tea Tax" was raised to the point of creating the little "Boston Party" The rebels took to coffee as a subsitute and thus Americans love affair with coffee really began...and we think of coffee rather then tea.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Chimed in too late!! All the great Coffee facts have been stated....I've read sailors were known for popping raw beans and chewing on them for energy...Coffee in the GAoP most certain... Now if they could just find a pack of Marlboro's on the Wydah!!

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

• 6 years later...

In searching for information on another topic, I crossed this online book (from the Gutenberg project).... This is a very long book... In skimming the beginning there seems to be a lot of information about coffee and coffee houses in the 17th and 18th century, I could not help but post this info here for later perusal.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/28500/28500-h/28500-h.htm

Michael_banner.jpg