Master & Commander sequel?

Matusalem

I know, it has been rumoured often whether there will be a sequel to M&C, here's such an example of a rumor in sunday's 7/27/08 issue of the Providence Journal Link, you can find the paragraph that says:

"The makers of Master and Commander, starring Russell Crowe, bought the Rose to star in the movie as the Surprise and paid Bailey to bring the ship to the West Coast for the filming. It was hoped that after the movie’s release, Newport might be able to buy Rose, but the movie studio decided to keep the ship for a possible sequel, Bailey says".

...basically, the state of Rhode Island has the blues for the HMS Rose enough to want to build it's own, since it can't get the ship back. The Rose used to be in Newport long before it made it's way to San Diego.

SHIP2-1.jpg

well, no idea about master and commander. but if newport wants a ship back, i was aboard the ORIGINAL Black Pearl last winter in Conn. Not the POTC one, but the original one that sat outside the Black Pearl Restaurant on the wharf at Newport. Almost bought her, but there seemed to be some strings attatched so we walked. She was in rough shape then, so unless someone has done something with her she is probably colse to being a dumpster project now.

Now a sequel to M&C!!!! now that would be right up my ally. I'd rather see that than other possible sequels. Heck, I'd even splurge for a bucket o popcorn for me lady on that one.

:::Shrugs::: hard to say.

I know that rumors have been circulating since Far Side of the World was out. But, never will know until it's official of the Production starting I guess.

As to the Rose... tis a sad story indeed.

I think the Black Pearl has a good spot right now. Well, the one renamed the Unicorn that is. I believe there are three other Black Pearls out there besides the one made and used for the movies

Confusing to be sure. :lol:

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Well, according to the San Diego Maritime Museum, the ship has found a permanent berth there. She's been restored to seaworthy condition and sails a few times a year, but there was no mention of possible sequals to the movie. It is possible that the museum would give up the ship for a while to film another movie, were it made.

Coastie :unsure:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I just talked to someone attached to the San Diego Maritime Museum (and who is currently sailing the Rose) on Saturday and he said they are well underway towards restoring the Rose back to her original state. I was on it about a year ago, before they started restoring her and could see the changes made to it to prep it for the movie. Apparently, most of the changes were safety issues, so the restoration folks are working hard at getting her seaworthy again so that they can invite the public on board for sails.

So it's highly unlikely they will be using this particular ship for a M&C sequel.

RHJMap.jpg

Well, according to the San Diego Maritime Museum, the ship has found a permanent berth there.

Ugh! Those San Diego people!....First, they take away the America's Cup out of Newport and never return it,...then they take our ship. I'm goin'on the account! :unsure:

Oh well....Getting a new ship modeled after the HMS Suprise is better than nothing, even if she's steel-hulled.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Poor Matusalem.

Most definitely feel thy pain.

But, could be worse... could be totally deprived of any tall ship. :lol: And I tell ye... tis torture to the soul.

~Lady B

:angry:

The ROSE was actually built in a Canadian shipyard...

Built in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, the Rose operated as a sail training vessel from 1985 to 2001. Thousands of people from all over the world experienced adventure at sea aboard the Rose as she ranged from her homeport in New England as far north as Labrador and as far south as Grenada, into the Great Lakes as far west as Duluth and east to the Atlantic coast of Europe. In 2003 the ship appeared as the HMS Surprise in the 20th Century fox film Master and Commander: Far Side of the World starring Russell Crowe and directed by Peter Weir.

http://www.tallshiprose.org/

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Now, don't want t' fo'gets the Niagra & Pride o' Baltimore!

I know there be a couple other vessels out there that I can't seem t' recall from atop m' head.

Hell, th' rate this be goin'... there be a hell of a grand Tall Ships fleet based outta th' Americas!!!

We need t' commandeer a couple other vessels that are right nice out of th' Caribbean, Gulf, and other areas of water between North and South America. I've seen some mighty fine pictures of some mighty fine tall ships, mostly wooden mind ye, that I know I'd fancy!

Hmm... we need a whole thread or section/sub-forum for just the vessels of this wide world.

~Lady B

:unsure:

fair nough then. lets give this thread back to Master and commander and start a new one just on the ships.

Now attention to detail on master and commander.

My favorite scene and ya got to be quick to catch it. Durring the beginning of the snow storm look closely just below the bowsprit as she passes by. there is a sailor on the rail with his pants down trying to take care of nature, freezing to death and haging on for dear life.

HMS ROSE/SURPRISE

I know when I went on board I was just in awe of the magnificent beauty of the ship.

The inside of the ship has been transformed into a museum and the Captain's area is set up like a dinner, fine crystal, china, some of the actual outfits worn by the actors. There's also a tiny area where the ship's doctor's room was, also showing the medicine bottles and such that a doctor of the time would have (Mission you should see it!). The area is just big enough for a small bunk, and a small table, otherwise most closets in your home would be bigger.

Yes the ship is in need of major repairs before it can sail again. It's one of the reasons there's a fee to get on board - the fee helps towards repairs.

The iron hulled Star of India is docked right next to it along the waterfront. That thing has no engine so when they do actually take her out to sail, tugboats have to be used until open water.

:ph34r:

Yuppers, Dutch. Most defintely noticed that. Thought that was a heck of a way to go to the bathroom! :lol:

:::whimpers:::

Torture, Rumba. Absolutely torture.

:::le sigh::: too deprived here.

Admittedly, would be nice to see another period film, especially a nautical one. I know "The Duchess" will be coming soon (if it's not out already).

Eager to drool over men in breeches and the attire of the films. Oh, so glorious!

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Okay, I just have to jump into this discussion.

The Rose is restored and sailing. I was a gunner aboard her during San Diego's Fleet Week the first weekend in May. We fired 6 guns aboard after having to haul out the replicas that were used for the movie.

The Surprise aka Rose cannot be used for passengers because she is a foreign made hull; that is what we were told. She won't pass US Coast Guard inspection for carrying passengers. The only way to sail on her is to be crew or crew in training.

Since I was on the gun crew, manning the 6lb cannon (definitely bragging here), I was able to enjoy our 'motoring' around San Diego Harbor. Sadly, we were unable to sail because of the time committments to the gun salutes and cannon battles with the Tallship Californian.

Here is an excerpt from my blog on myspace...

Surprise was on our side.

Current mood:  ecstatic

Well mates, I've just returned from my latest adventure as gunner aboard the HMS Surprise.

We engaged in two cannon battles with the Tallship Californian and impressed her Captain with our perfectly timed broadsides and full volleys.  As ususual, I was in charge the 6lb gun, which the Captain promptly proclaimed to be named Pearl.  I reminded the Captain that he would now never forget Pearl.  The other names of the guns given by the Captain were:  Lassie, Timmy, Muffy, Toto Too, and Homer.

I was assigned a new apprentice who I promptly renamed Swab, but he was anything but.  Swab is a dashing young man with a striking washboard stomach.  He was also very handy at pushing Pearl into place after she recoiled 8 feet back on her platform.  When we ran her out on the block and tackle, she just barely made clearance, so we had to give her a little push to clear.  Swab still owes me pictures as that was one area that caused me frustration with the new recruit.  Although it is very difficult to take pictures while firing, I also appreciate the handywork of others.

Pearl performed beatuifully with absolutely no misfires.  It probably doesn't hurt that I've been her gunner since the day she was born.  The hardest part was loading Pearl on to the HMS Surprise.  The boys wanted to ramp her down the 85 degree stairs.  I pointed out to them that block and tackle was most likely the proper way to lower her.  We swung her from the gangway to the opening and slowly lowered her down.  We had to step her down the last 4 steps as there wasn't much room at the bottom of the stairs.

Then we rolled her down to her position near the gun deck and ramped her up into place using levers and block and tackle.  We had to build a small platform upon the gun deck to raise her to perfect firing position.  This was perfect as it provided a clear path for the recoil.  I stood to one side of the platform and could stand straight up to my 5'3" height....if I stood between the rafters.  Soon, my back was killing me because I kept bending over to look out the windows to see our target the Californian.

I decided early on that this needed some adjustment and pulled a treasure chest up to the gun deck so I could easily step on and off the gun deck.  This allowed me to swab and load, then haul Pearl into place.  Then I jumped down and had Swab jump up and push Pearl the rest the way in.  Swab then placed the primer and hooked the lanyard.

Here's the funny part:  If I could see our target, the Californian in the foward windows, I would pull the lanyard on this firing.  If I didn't see the Californian in the forward windows, I would hand the lanyard to Swab to hold.  I did this because if you didn't see the Californian, it meant we would be holding the lanyard slack and waiting for the Californian to be in place before we could fire.  This could take up to 5 minutes of holding the lanyard slack, so I let Swab hold the lanyard.  It's good to be Gun Captain of the 6lb-er.

The crew of both ships complimented us on our fantastic timing and professionalism. The crews were warm and inviting and very eager to work with us.  In the end, it turned out to be a wonderful experience for sail crew and gun crew.

It was a fantasic adventure and one I couldn't have done without me mates, Capt Ned (aka Gail), Barber-Surgeon Selchie (Lin), Rotten Raphael, Mike, Richard, Danny, Swab and of course, our Gun Master, Gary Harper.  Without him, none of this would have been possible.

In this picture, you can see me swabbing Pearl.  I can tell it's me by the end of the swab.  The other guns were a 5lb bronze, and 4 - 3lb guns.  Photo courtesy of Oderlesseye.  Thank you, Oderlesseye.  More pictures can be found on Oderlesseye's photobucket page: Oderlesseye's photobucket HMS Surprise page.

IMG_0837-1.jpg

On August 11th, the Surprise aka Rose will be at the Channel Islands Tallship Festival in Oxnard, CA. Next she's headed to the LA Maritime Museum and then back down to San Diego for their Festival of Sail.

and no...you're never getting her back.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

another thing that tickled me was sounding under full sail. my goodness, by the time the lead hit, they would have been hundreds of yards past the mark and dragging it along the bottom. eh, guess i'm nitpicking now. T'was a good movie and i hope they make a sequel.

edit** blackhearted pearl, you snuck in while i was typing. what a great venture that must have been. there are lots who are certainly envious. even under iron genoa, it still must have been quite the time.

bbcdutchman wrote

and anything from the herreshoff yard- that should be a class unto itself

bbcutchman, you are the best :lol:

The sick thing is I am exactly 2 miles from there right now. And FYI, in 1772 and , 1775 the HMS Rose bombarded the very town.

SHIP2-1.jpg

matusalem,

my mother and siblings grew up behind walkers island. Gramp was a founder of the yachtclub. Grandparents sold the property at least 30 years ago. i barely remember the place. the house just recently sold though. was a barn then a girls school. if you leave the herreshoff yard and head towards the hope bridge, it is a big white house with green garage doors on the right just past the turn in the road past the lobster pot. Mom grew up playing on the spars of j-boats. *sigh*

I pay homage to the brothers every time I go out to the barn. 12 1/2 number 466 is sitting waiting to be re-caulked and in need of a new transom. one day i'll get to it.

I pay homage to the brothers every time I go out to the barn. 12 1/2 number 466 is sitting waiting to be re-caulked and in need of a new transom. one day i'll get to it.

bbcdutchman, for your benefit, I will email you some pictures of what it looks like today, particularly Hall Spars, Burton St, and around the Lobster pot, up the roard towards the bridge and such. I think you will get a kick out of it.

SHIP2-1.jpg

I'm hoping not for a sequel, but a full movie for each of the 20 books! Since the book Master and Commander has virtually nothing in common with the movie, they should wait a few years until most folks have pretty much forgotten about it. Then start over and do them according to the books.

Sure, it would cost billions of dollars, but wouldn't it be great!?!

Oh, well. A man can dream, can't he? I guess I'll have to be content with reading the books again. I finished my third time through the lot a few months ago, and I've promised to wait as long as possible before I start again. But if I wait too long, I might forget the difference between homousian and homoousian. And then where would I be?

Oh, Mercedes! I can smell your visage de porco from here! I can't resist!

"They'll have their cake and lie in it too!"

There's many another ship that Jack and Stephen sail in aside from the Surprise. I too would love to see them all as movies.