Lady Barbossa in the news

Charity

I always get a yahoo notification with news about Geoffrey Rush and other actors i like and..Barbossa.

This i get just now <_<<_<:huh:

Local officials turn North Liberty into pirate cove

Swords, pistols and threats of plunder are not things usually associated with a hospitality committee, but that's exactly the kind of welcome Melisa Henley envisioned for riders of the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa as they entered North Liberty.

Advertisement

"We wanted the riders to know we are pirates of the corridor, and they will be with pirates for the next 24 hours," Henley said.

Henley, North Liberty's RAGBRAI hospitality chairwoman, was responsible for putting together the decorations for North Liberty's bash. She also coordinated 40 volunteers to act as cheerleaders, cheering for riders as they entered North Liberty.

The centerpiece of Henley's decoration efforts was a 25- by 12-foot, three dimensional pirate ship that spanned the bike route at the entrance of town. The ship, complete with a parrot, cutout waves and masts, was designed by local artist and art teacher Kathryn Samuelson and built with the help of Henley's husband, Rick.

A professional pirate also joined the ranks of Henley's cheerleaders.

Lady Barbossa, aka ***** ****** of Cedar Rapids, works as a professional pirate. Although her saber and belt full of flintlock pistols were fairly intimidating, she politely greeted the riders before asking for their booty.

"I'll do anything to put a smile on a child's face or brighten a rider's day," she said.

-- Tyler O'Neil

In your voice

hero.jpg

*wheeewwww*

For a moment there I thought ye was gonna say her picture turn'd up on a rum carton at th' breakfast table!

<_<

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

:huh:

No, MadL... no faces upon a milk carton. :huh: T'was a couple characters that almost were... but they bloody well would have deserved it fo' bein' overly drunk, riding a bike AND stealing the Pirate flags that were dotting the roadside.

All in all, this is rather extraordinary and I'm blushing more and more! Very humbled by this.

I was told I would be in the local newspaper, too. But didn't expect to be on the front page! :huh:<_< Let alone on TV or even on Yahoo news! wow... very humbling.

It was indeed incredible fun. Especially when several thousand cyclists ride in, exhausted and long faces suddenly smile upon seeing a pirate welcome them. Many of them stopped to take a picture with me. And even MerryD when she was there, too.

I've a picture here of MerryD and myself with Team Captain Morgan! Jumped at the opportunity to have a photo op with them! :huh:

TeamCptnMorgan.jpg

Myself with that archway. It was nicely done and swiftly put up early in the morning. Kudos to those who worked hard on that archway to welcome the cyclists.

pirateshipLiberty.jpg

It was indeed incredible fun. And I had a great time entertaining the thousands there. :huh:

Oh, ye will be glad to know, Bess... that someone had music playing. A mix of some intreguing songs from Muppet Treasure Island to random pirate songs and even "Pirates Life for me" from PotC ride. Oh, I had so much fun with that. Even danced the jig with some kids who came out to welcome the cyclists. They had fun dancing. I gave them some gold for their good dancing.

I was at the event for 14 hours and enjoyed every minute of it. ;)

Many a story from the young kids who showed up to welcome the cyclists and got them all involved in some piratical fun to the press having a field day and cyclists with their pictures (too many to count!) to even helping a mom with her wee son freaking out over a large inflatible Herky (the mascot for the University of Iowa Hawkeyes) which I pulled my pistol and sword upon (much to my dismay) to defend the wee spooked lad from the monster inflatible. Poor Herky! I hope Herky 'll forgive me! <_< Many, many stories, much fun.

And now... I'M EXHAUSTED! ;)

I'm sure, as one lass said there, I'll be all over the world in people's blogs and photo albums.

Alas... I didn't procure or obtain gold or silver... much to my dismay.

~Lady B

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Why, thank ye, Skinner.

BTW... that picture Rumba posted... that be th' one that was on the front page of the Cedar Rapids Gazette and also on GazetteOnline main page.

Here be another one, this picture from the Press Citizen.

bilde.jpg

Again, I was surprised an humbled.

M' family & friends are rather excited beyond words.

~Lady B

:ph34r:

congratulations to ye lady, looks like a grand tyme was had by all.

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

A very wonderful thing you did, Lady B. Now maybe your family will understand a little better why it is you love the pirate life. Look how many smiles you brought to all those tired riders, who I'm sure were NOT expecting pirates on the bike route. ;)

Very nice job indeed, and you deserve the press coverage for such hard work, and for having such an open heart. ;)

And cudo's to Mary D as well.

"And when you're a professional pirate, you're all..ways in the best of com...pan...eeeee!" (Big Tim Curry finish :unsure: )

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

;) CONGRATULATIONS and well done! :unsure:

A well deserved broadside of kudos to ye, Lady Barbossa! Warms me cockles and shivers me timbers and floats me boat and fills me mug and . . . well, ye get the idea! ;)

Excellent! Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Hahaha... aye, Ransom.

Tis funny actually in m' family. I guess will find out this weekend at m'cousin's wedding! ;) :angry:

But aye, the riders didn't quite expect the welcoming and the festivities. They were quite overjoyed.

North Liberty committee plan to stick with the pirate theme cause it received such a great outcome and approval. Kudos to those of North Liberty.

Again, thank ye. But I swears it, I had ye all in mind the whole o' th' day. Every one o' ye. Bein' m' piratical best in honor to ye all!

~Lady B

:lol: