Maritime crew brings history to life

Story

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to the work those guys do with originals, actually i don't know if they would get mad about me saying but i know they were keeping under the wraps that they got there hands on an old queen anne screw barrel pistol and they were replicating a brae of 4 of them with all silver inlay's.

I saw the first protoype in the white at fort fred this year when i was there for the day, it was crazy and they made all the pieces in there shop except the barrel.

If you see them and you get a chance do yourself a faver and see if you can get them to tell you how they got there hands on that pistol, its a good one you'll cry or laugh.

These guys are crazy

everyone talks about Neumans book Swords and Blades of the Revolution, They actually know the guy who wrote it personally.

and also in response to Missions post

Aw, they're missing the point. There's no such thing as bad PR, there's only people who aren't imaginative enough to use it to their advantage.

it's not wise to shoot the messenger who brings the interested crowds to listen at your knee to the tales of old

there is no room to laugh at yourself where they come from,

After sailing with them once and doing one event with them 3 years ago I decided quickly this wasen't for me,

I got to tell you that there is no goofiness or laxness about these guys at all, they are so so serious about there bit, and believe me its not that they are not imaginative, its quite the opposite, they will always have a crowd no matter what they do.

They are on a whole nother level were their heads are with this.

last summer they took one of there open skiffs from jersey to the somewhere around the chesapeak,living off of rations and barreled water, they nearly sunk the boat three times to damage sustained in the waves hitting them head on, and on another occasion three of them almost drown when toppling the sails, the tide kept taking the lesser swimmers under the surf. I could only imagine what that was like, I hope they don't get mad about me putting that out there if it isent already, if so sorry about that guys

They don't just play the stuff like most of us do, they almost live it. or do there best too

These guys are crazy

everyone talks about Neumans book Swords and Blades of the Revolution, They actually know the guy who wrote it personally.

So did my father a while back during our Rev. War days, although not well...my actual small sword (GAoP time frame) once belonged to him, he dated and appraised it as well. I picked up in a trade via C. Schriber a leather/trunk maker back in the eighties...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Also of note, I picked up the latest(?) copy of Skirmish magazine yesterday (it is a magazine for re-enactors based in the UK for those unfamiliar with it), and there is a three or four page article featuring the Sea Rats in the mag. Not a very detailed article, but a pretty cool sumary of re-neacting the GAoP.

Yeah, 'though I do wish they'd include their sources, and finish their website [which the article implies may list their sources]. Some of their points are still contentious even here [such as the long "shoes or no shoes" thread]. Some of their suggestions I know sources for, others none ["many piratical sailors cut off all their buttons," or "you would know a man was a sailor if he wore a cravat" - but everyone wore cravats; it is HOW one wears one's cravat that shows tha man...]. Particularly liked the knife piercing in the sleeved waistcoat [or was it a jacket - can't remember. Must look again].

hmmm our coats have both sword cuts and ball holes... easily enough to do...

as to a cravat, the term cravat implies a particular type of neckwear during the period, as in a steinkirk or my good linen cravat with lace ends... certainly not the average neck cloth we see pictured on most sailors in art from the time frame. I could be wrong, but I have yet to see the term so loosely applied to just any type of neck wear ... and aye a ton of people wore them, certainly not an item of clothing that would make a common sailor stand out in a crowd in those days. And would love to see the source for cutting off all ones buttons... maybe they were misquoted...as I believe they have buttons on their clothing..

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Wow! It sure is good to see young'uns takin it seriously! There is plenty of hope for the future of re-enacting with these "kids" doing such a good job of it. Wonder if i can get 'em to come out to the middle waters sometime to do a stint at the lake!?! Workin on the Corps to set something up after I graduate and have time to devote to my passions again. (and a JOB to fund it!!!) My hat's off to the Sea Rats! :lol:

Bo

In defence of my old friends once again, your assumptions are correct

I have to mention that after seeing members of the sea rats at the Dixon's muzzle loading fairee this past weekend

One of there big topics of discussion for over an hr or more, was the grossity of how misqouted they were in the recent skirmish article as well as another periodical that i cannot remeber of what it was named.

only bits and pieces of what they actually wanted in there were used, and that which was had been blended and not elaborated to the extent of making it good material.

On another note, I'm really glad to see those guys are starting to get SOME appreciation for doing the filty dirty sailor.

i'd even say that they started that uproar for people presenting themsleves in the dirty manner.

back when all you saw was clean dandy impressions

I remeber a good 12 or so years ago maybe more, Joe being no more than 14 or so showing up to a local rendevous with a good number of younger guys, they were all filthy from head to toe, and looking so decrepid they looked like they walk out of a time portal and off a ship. I know that they got sh##t by the old timers for years for doing stuff like that. I hope that there hard work is starting to pay off. they always did the sailor thing ever since I can remeber

as for the pistols they have in the pics, I will try to get ahold of them and turn them onto this discussion, I'm sure they would be willing to share anything about them. all I ever remeber them having is miqolet pistols, early europeans, and early munitions pieces.

The button thing, don't know where that came from, prolly not them.

I will try to get ahold of them. just saw them a few days ago. Flinter

i'd even say that they started that uproar for people presenting themsleves in the dirty manner.

you must've never met those damn dirty Beach Brothers then.....

:lol:

hey wait.....

:ph34r:

ah damn.....

these guys seem after me own heart...and warshin habits

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I highly doubt they started all that... I know at least three in my own crewe who have been doing filthy for over twenty years....

and frankly I am very surprised Rachel would be so careless in the way she handles her magazine and its articles...

Crewe of the Archangel

Just a bit ago I was finally able to get ahold of the sea rats via cell after a few trys.

they were at the jersey shore sailing.

I let them know that there was alot of concern over the recent skirmish article and its contents going on here at the Pyracy forum.

They told me that yes it was very unfortunate that it did not turn out as anticipated and expected, and that it was only a matter of time before the peanut gallery chimed in.

I really got the greater sense that they were more concerned with sailing

rather than sitting indoors, on a computer, squabling over stuff like us all, yes that is including myself. :lol:

THATS WHY I LOVE THOSE GUYS

doing all the things that we all talk and dream about, but never do.

MY HATS OFF TO THE SEA RATS ATLANTIC

doing all the things that we all talk and dream about, but never do.

Hmmm do speak for yourself sir and please don't include me, and number of other peanuts, in your generalities...

Crewe of the Archangel

Not much about them on the net....Is it just the three guys?

In either the web article or the Skirmish article there is a claim to over 100 members, with a second claim of over 60 active members (or there abouts)...

I'm not sure if this is a gross misquote of the writer of the article or what the deal is... But all the photos of the groups seem to be the same three or four guys, with one woman in the photo Cheeky posted. That and I have doubts that there are even that many pirate re-enactors on the whole darn continent, never mind that many all in the same one group.

Michael_banner.jpg

Just a bit ago I was finally able to get ahold of the sea rats via cell after a few trys.

they were at the jersey shore sailing.

I really got the greater sense that they were more concerned with sailing rather than sitting indoors, on a computer, squabling over stuff like us all, yes that is including myself. :lol:

But they bring their cell phones with them... :lol:

I just wish they could spell the word "website" correctly on their "websight".

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

You gotta love a guy who puts down on his professional theater resume that he is a kazoo player. Hum with pride lad! We are few and far between! :lol:

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I honestly don't understand why you resent a bunch of kids for making it into a magazine, they do there best, and its darned impressive what they do too.

They are the nicest hearted people you will ever meet, they are always willing to help everyone in need without any compensation or second thought.

Same thing I saw in civil war reenacting so long ago, and one would wonder why there are no young people in the hobby, the old salts don't allow it they harp on them intill its not fun anymore.

I'm done defending as they did for me once, its going no where but adding more fuel to the fire.

you guys should be ashamed of yourselfs

and say what you will you would be surprised how many dudes they bring out at times.

hahah...oh wait...your serious?!?!?

:lol:

who's insulting who here???...what is there to defend??...why are you so adament??

these guys seem passionate about what they do...so are we....we applaude them for their actions....but we are poking fun at the overzelaous writer.....as we have in the past when it was us who were misquoted in the media.....

have you not seen most of our posts...the FIRST people who git picked on are ourselves...then everybody else...and i mean everybody.

if you want to really help your buds...then stop defending them....your making it worse....for there is nothing to defend!!!!!....

shheeeesh......

it all started out because they are quoted as stating that nearly the east coast is in the group...been doing it for years....ultra authentic...their own brigatine.....original collections....a compound where they all live and work....

and noone has ever heard of them???

thats all....just wanted to meet them....and to see if they wanted to come out and play.....

so take a step back...re-read all the posts....with a clear head...(a mug of beer helps)....and play...thats all....

and stop defending when noones accusing!!!!!

thank you and goodnight

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I have met the crew and they have done an excellent portrayal of the period and the level and if they have gotten media attention it is about time that others take that for what it is ....they have a distinct look and authenticity that many wish they could achieve, but too many are reluctant to go outside the comfort zone of the more modern concept of clean and laundered and snappy dressing "Hollywood Pirates" ....these youngsters have reset the bar for many of us to emulate ....just as Dutch and M.A.Dogge and Patrick and a few others have striven to obtain a more hardcore level of authenticity that more should try to follow.

These young folks have gone to a level that has brought them to the attention of the media by being different from the run of the mill ...but as has been stated they have drawn down the wrath of the so-called more "knowledgeable reenactors" ...I, myself, will attempt to follow their lead.

I salute these dedicated young reenactors that will be the next generation of this genre of the hobby!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I must agree with Maddogge, after all he is in my crewe..I taught him everything he knows..I mean look at his horrible spelling :lol: . there is no point getting upset about what is happening here in this thread, this goes on all the time. Most here are constantly ribbing others and most here, know that none of us take this hobby that seriously as to get bent out of shape over an article that states one group has finally reached perfection. We all know none have done so and most likely none of us ever will, although many of us strive for such standards already. I suppose my gripe is the fact that you truly don't know any of us nor have seen any of us or what we do and work hard at achieving. I am surprised though that Skrimish would botch up an article so badly and that Rachel would not have spent the time checking up on the author and the statements they presented as to have so misrepresented an up and coming crew.

Hey they are the new kids on the block, we have all been where they are once and we lived through it and most of us are damn fine friends because of the fun we can poke at each other.

Crewe of the Archangel

Well as we be pyrate hunters, we shall have to be mortal enemies on some level...just a thought there...

Crewe of the Archangel