Maritime crew brings history to life

Story

I've been doing quite a number of events with the Sea Rats Atlantic and they are really an awesome bunch of guys... We were actually their guests this past weekend, and it actually makes me concerned that it might have been me and my guys that were really off garb wise, and them less so. We had the colors and stuff. We were told to come as we were and do our best and just leave most of our pirate stuff at home and tweek to the best of our ability. We are trying to expand our reenacting periods and Joe has been so kind to help us out A LOT.

I cannot stress enough how great these guys are, very generous and sweet. Yes, they are very rambunctious (there is that young thing- and I'm not trying to make excuses, it's just the way it is. Some of them are as young as 15 I think... don't you remember when you were 15?=P) But they are really good guys. No, they are not perfect angels but no male ever is... =P

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is not much.. mostly me and my guys, and Jess playing games. And a couple of some others of us that were working on the "Hutspot"

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=470936332&albumId=1040714

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

Thanks! It looks like you guys had lots of fun. Very nice pot. What's cooking? ;)

Hutspot or something like that... it was mashed tatoes onions, carots in chicken broth with lots of butter and milk. Its a dutch stew apparently. It was the biggest pot I've ever seen... lol.

I ran into these guys this past weekend at the Half Moon 400th Anniversary event. I've seen them before and been a bit skeptical, but this past weekend I was definitely unimpressed. The date on the event was 1609 for ship activities, and 1650 for onshore militia activities. My opinion is that they were out of place. Garb was too late period and not representative of either the Dutch sailors or the colonists. Wrong cut, wrong silhouette and wrong colour. They were wearing the same thing I've seen at 18th C events. It did not help when, on Sunday morning, they tied one of their number to a modern lamppost with some sort of sign attached to him. Whatever else, this was NOT a pirate event and that sort of thing should not have been happening.

There seems to be a pattern of excusing them because they are young and we need new members in the hobby. They should still have to conform to all the standards and practices.

Hawkyns

That's pretty harsh. I left before the lamppost on Sunday but there was nothing in their portrayal on Saturday that suggested pirate. I was camped next to them so I know how they were presenting themselves. Yes, their gear was off for the time period but I can't see doing new costumes for a one-day event and they did make an effort to look earlier. They left off the obvious 18th century gear. If anything, they looked a bit earlier than the 17th century.

Sidenote - when they are at circa-1700 events they look great.

Also, they provided the pike drills.

Mark

Edited by MarkG

That's pretty harsh. I left before the lamppost on Sunday but there was nothing in their portrayal on Saturday that suggested pirate. I was camped next to them so I know how they were presenting themselves. Yes, their gear was off for the time period but I can't see doing new costumes for a one-day event and they did make an effort to look earlier. They left off the obvious 18th century gear. If anything, they looked a bit earlier than the 17th century.

Mark

Yeah, but I'm hardcore, you know that Mark. I play from 1580 to 1780, 5 major periods, 5 different sets of kit, including weapons. BUT it's taken me 30 years to get to that point, and my kit still changes as new information and sources become available. If they are young and have limited resources, then concentrate on the one period and don't try crossing periods until you can get the kit to match the venue. I guess I hark back to one of the first times we met, back at Plimoth, what '88 or so?. I've been using their ideas as a base for my standard since then. Took me 10 years to get to that point, and the progression has continued since then. So yeah, I'm harsh when I look at other kit, especially when they are cross timing. They're young, no great hurry. Take it slow, concentrate on one thing and get it right, before starting the next, and then put the same effort in before you take it into the field.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I'm not understanding this thread. Why is it in Twill. I read Twill to learn about improving myself, not to learn about Hawkyns dislikes of a certain group he is obviously jealous of. Can we move this thread to another area. Say the "pirate crews" area?

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

Interesting point, and yes, I have considered moving it. It does sort of skirt the authentic/non authentic, so I haven't moved it, but if people wish that, it can be done easily.

Hawkyns

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

He didn't chastise anyone, he just made a serious statement, he felt they were out of place and it sounded mean the way he said it.. I should have kept my mouth shut.

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

Mark

Yeah, but I'm hardcore, you know that Mark. I play from 1580 to 1780, 5 major periods, 5 different sets of kit, including weapons. BUT it's taken me 30 years to get to that point, and my kit still changes as new information and sources become available. If they are young and have limited resources, then concentrate on the one period and don't try crossing periods until you can get the kit to match the venue. I guess I hark back to one of the first times we met, back at Plimoth, what '88 or so?. I've been using their ideas as a base for my standard since then. Took me 10 years to get to that point, and the progression has continued since then. So yeah, I'm harsh when I look at other kit, especially when they are cross timing. They're young, no great hurry. Take it slow, concentrate on one thing and get it right, before starting the next, and then put the same effort in before you take it into the field.

Hawkyns

Steve,

Let's face it - this event was not Plimoth. We were in a modern park and outnumbered around 10,000 to 1 by visitors. The event needed people. They came and did a good job of interacting with the public and doing drills. It would have been that much busier for the rest of us if they hadn't come.

Mark

Though i hate to join in on this argument that shouldnt even be happening..........bbuutt as i recall our own half moon marauders do 18th century interpretation, as do the sea rats. BOTH(as far as the pictures show) seem to have made an effort to seem a bit more 17th century in attire. Now im not sure how many events some of you go to, bbutt not so many of them take place in the 1720s...SSOOOOO i have to adapt to fit into other time periods.....it would be nice to just stay in the time that i started in, but that would mean never wearing gear that iv slaved over...now im not saying i would wear an early 18th century waistcoat at a rev war event, bbuutt i will use as much of my kit as was still in use..........and further more, as someone who has helped plan events....you tend to be greatful to anyone who will come and help you out for free, lets not forget that none of us get paid(usually) for what we do...ssooooooo would you rather have 3 or 20 some people, not saying you should sacrifice accuracy..BUT i think this wasnt too far a stretch. Just my two cents........

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

I am going for diplomacy here so gents please bear with me. First of all I have seen nothing wrong with this thread..No one putting the Sea Rats down..in fact far from it. I have seen razzing back and forth as Sterling and a few others have said. That is what makes what all of you do special. Everyone learns and works together when it all comes down to it and everyone helps each other out and of course the teasing.

As for Hawkyn's...well he is entitled to his opinion same as everyone else and I did not find fault with his post. Everyone works hard to make sure their kit is spot on for events and he brought up his insights just as many of you here did as well. He does take what he does seriously and with great pride as do you all. I think the last sentence of his post showed exactly what he was meaning with no disrespect to any in this thread or about this topic and I quote "They're young, no great hurry. Take it slow, concentrate on one thing and get it right, before starting the next, and then put the same effort in before you take it into the field.

"

Everyone starts somewhere and these guys The Sea Rats look good to me but I know as do you all that true perfection takes time and years and does not just happen overnight. And if you tell me it does Ill be the first to naysay you because Im still working on my own kit after several years.

And that is my two cents.

The Black Syren

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Since this has changed drastically, I've split the new topic off into Philosophy of Authenticity.

Hawkyns

rod_21.jpg

Oooppps ..sorry Hawkyns, assumed Mission split the thread... see how much trouble we all get into when we assume....still sniggering....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Here are some more pictures of the guys from the event. I didn't think they looked pirate-y as I have never seen them wear armor or anything like that at 18th century events. These are pretty cool....

SeaRatsAlbany2.jpg

SeaRatsAlbany3.jpg

SeaRatsAlbanyDutchSolider.jpg

SeaRatsAlbany.jpg