Maritime crew brings history to life

Story

Complete article (and photo) at

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...T/80711060/1031

When you’re on the beach, keep an eye out for a black flag on the horizon — pirates are coming. They’ve got guns, swords, ships and stench — and it’s all historically accurate.

The Sea Rats Atlantic is a historical maritime crew that recreates the world of pirates. With 144 members with about 60 active crewmen, the Sea Rats take to land and sea to teach people about real-life pirates that roamed the waves.

“The recent movies don’t help a lot,” says Joe Ruggiero, the captain of Sea Rats Atlantic. “They add an air of goofiness to pirates. It’s hard to rise above that.”

Ruggiero and his crew are trying to counter this by offering historically accurate recreations, demonstrations and battles that both thrill and educate.

SEE ALSO[/color=red]

http://www.searatsatlantic.com/

Dances for nickels.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also of note, I picked up the latest(?) copy of Skirmish magazine yesterday (it is a magazine for re-enactors based in the UK for those unfamiliar with it), and there is a three or four page article featuring the Sea Rats in the mag. Not a very detailed article, but a pretty cool sumary of re-neacting the GAoP.

Michael_banner.jpg

Were some of their number at Gettysburg's Reenactor Fest? I believe they were at Lockhouse this past weekend (July 12-13). Very impressive looking

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

finally....another group trying to do what i (an others) have been trying to do fer the past 20 years....

What would that be? Filthy? :blink:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

“The recent movies don’t help a lot,” says Joe Ruggiero, the captain of Sea Rats Atlantic. “They add an air of goofiness to pirates. It’s hard to rise above that.”

Aw, they're missing the point. There's no such thing as bad PR, there's only people who aren't imaginative enough to use it to their advantage. Ok, so 90% or whatever of the people exposed to piracy will go through their innocent little lives thinking Johnny Depp is representative of pirates. If not for him, they would think of Errol Flynn, Geena Davis, Larry the Cucumber or (shudder) Burt Lancaster. Depp raises the awareness level so that more folks can search out authentic data. That's where Joe and his crew (and us lot) can come in. Actually they seem to be coming in at that. Still, it's not wise to shoot the messenger who brings the interested crowds to listen at your knee to the tales of old. A little goofiness makes it fun. (Learning can be a grinding, painful experience that one hopes to escape at the first chance or it can be enjoyable and entertaining well to which one returns frequently.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

A little goofiness makes it fun. (Learning can be a grinding, painful experience that one hopes to escape at the first chance or it can be enjoyable and entertaining well to which one returns frequently.)

By George, I think the doc is getting it... :blink: snigger....

Crewe of the Archangel

Find me one in the price range...and I'll go fetch it.... and I did pass along that information you sent me a few days past

Crewe of the Archangel

A little goofiness makes it fun. (Learning can be a grinding, painful experience that one hopes to escape at the first chance or it can be enjoyable and entertaining well to which one returns frequently.)

By George, I think the doc is getting it... :rolleyes: snigger....

And giving lurid talks about how surgery is done using periodish instruments seems to me to be enjoyable and entertaining. (I have a great grasp of goofiness. Ask the three people on this board who see that bit buried deeply in my psyche. :huh: )

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

i'm most interested in the boat and the quality of work of the guild since "they will find the genuine article, dismantle it, and see how it works. Then, they spend hundreds of hours trying, failing, and trying again, in order to replicate the piece exactly." Maybe i'm a bit bitter because all i can ever manage is some pictures and maybe a trip a museum when i'm trying to make something.

i'm most interested in the boat and the quality of work of the guild since "they will find the genuine article, dismantle it, and see how it works. Then, they spend hundreds of hours trying, failing, and trying again, in order to replicate the piece exactly." Maybe i'm a bit bitter because all i can ever manage is some pictures and maybe a trip a museum when i'm trying to make something.

Interesting, I must of glossed over that quote Dutch...

But they must be a very good guild if they are getting their hands on original peices, dismantling them, and copying them... Hell I wasn't even allowed to take my bloody camera into the "Real Pirate"/Whydah exhibit, and they made us turn our cell phones off just to prevent any use of camera phones as well... If they're actually getting that kind of special treatment, hell where do I sign up? :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

i'm most interested in the boat and the quality of work of the guild since "they will find the genuine article, dismantle it, and see how it works. Then, they spend hundreds of hours trying, failing, and trying again, in order to replicate the piece exactly."

I have an original small sword, but I don't think I'd ever let anyone dismantle that...although I sure would like a good copy of it for fighting purposes.

Crewe of the Archangel

I don't want to take this thread too far off topic...

But most good sword makers should be able to do well made copies from a good series of photos... I happen to know a really good swordsmith that is local to me, that specializes in historic fencing weapons (he mostly does work in the SCA, but is VERY much interested in expanding his markets)...

I'm fairly sure I showed you my clamshell hanger sword at Hampton, and if I didn't, I will ensure I let you have a good look at it at Beaufort... It is made from said swordsmith. I've been needling this guy to make a few more GAoP period combat blades of various styles, but he's been so focussed on his typical orders (that he is rather disenchanted from doing) he just hasn't had the time or inclination to do up stock in a market untested to him...

Michael_banner.jpg

... he just hasn't had the time or inclination to do up stock in a market untested to him...

(Sorry for taking it a little further off topic!)

Do you happen to have any pictures of his work?

I know I'm in the market to replace the 1770's British infantry officer's sword and 1860's U.S. naval cutlass that I'm using now.

Maybe if you can get enough people here on the Pub interested he can start a limited production at an affordable price.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

If you scroll down about three quarters of the way on this page of this thread, you will see my clamshell hanger (which was custom), or you can visit the MK Armory website to see the array of SCA styled rapiers and other earlier period weapons Dan has done. Please note, that the price I paid for that weapon was a year and a half ago, and because of the drastic increase in the cost of steel since then, prices may have changed dramatically...

I've convinced him to make me a "combat/fencing" safe off hand weapon that will look exactly like a period plug bayonet... Things have just been too tight for me lately to place the order, so it will likely have to wait until autumn or perhaps even winter.

If you contact him, mention my name, it might help...

Michael_banner.jpg

Yes, I've seen these characters before.

While all of you were kicking your heels up at PIP last year, these gents (& mort) did come down and make themselves know at RF3. And just recently I saw them in a few photos from July's lockhouse gathering.

They did a nice job of it. But they look very clean in this picture...but NO ONE can compare to Maddogge. When it comes to the Stink! He's PRETTY Stinky, indeed!

SeaRatsAtlantic2.jpg

Though, I think it's time that we (Various groups here upon the thread) gather up and write a article or two for Pyrates Way/or Pyrates Mag ourselves. Heck we have B-Town coming up, don't we?

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Sea Rats Atlantic will be at Harve De Grace Maritime Museum Marifest Sat Aug 2-3. anyone care to accompany me? Seems to be a fine time to be a tourist.

Now that would be great! Who's up for a Road-Trip!

I'm up for Deer-Dodging!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"