Maritime crew brings history to life

Story

Not trying to start any trouble, because these guys look really good and seem to be heading in the right direction, but they are far from perfect. I would like to see them stop wearing slops in favor of trousers and breeches.

:rolleyes: It may just be me, but if you have a closer look (zoom in) at this photo it looks to be good photoshopping. It seems a few individuals pop up more than once in this photo. :rolleyes:

Morgan at Panama 1670:

"At dawn on the morning of the tenth day the buccaneers got ready for the assault. Morgan had them drawn in battle order, and on they marched with drums beating and flags flying... Once the word had been given, the buccaneers extended their line in three battalions, and sent 200 men forward as skirmishers - French buccaneers carrying first-class muskets, and all crack shots. These marched ahead, and the rest followed. Down from the hill came the buccaneers to where, on the open plain, the Spaniards awaited them."

- Alexander O. Exquemelin

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

group1.jpg

ok....cant help it.....gotta say it......

i am rootin fer these guys....hope to play with them someday....

but....

they kinda look like the orphans from the cast of ANNIE......

i keep expectin them to break into a song...while stealin meself blind....

how old are they???....whats the age range??...are they all Half-Pints??...if so i need to join....i'll take the rest of their rations....

ok...i know this just completely set me up for "come-upins"....so any of them may feel free to ridicule me in return....

just as ong as they sing..."it's a hard knock life"....thats me favorite...

ok i'm done....goin back into me rhum.....

(ridicule is the sincerist form of flatery)

fyne job lads....fyne job indeed

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Been in contact with one of the lads from the Sea Rats.....These guys are hardcore.....And really nice to talk to! Can't wait to see more....

group1.jpg

Just some thoughts on this picture:

The guys in this pic are pretty well on the mark for the proper age of the pirates. It appears that a lof of these guys are in their later teens and 20s. The only way I could see an improvement in that department would be to see one or two guys in their 30s (maybe). For those who say there are too many younger guys, I wouldn't say that its that bad, and I think its refreshing to see that many younger guys in a reenacting group. While Rediker says the median age for mariners turned pirate would have been around 28, medians are misleading (just like how they say it was unusual for people to live past 40, often that number is a little misleading because if you factor in high child mortality then the average life expectancy would be lowered). While there would have been mariners of 28 and older, there would also be a ton of guys who were below that and back into the teens as well (and believe me, in history reenacting, the older sort is always well over represented).

Once again the clothing selection is excellent. Many of the guys are wearing deck trews. I see one guy wearing petitcoat breeches too. Also, not sure if we are using all the correct terms here. For those referring to slops, when you say that, you mean the suits of clothing made for sea (the proper meaning of slops) or are you just referring to the trousers?

Also, as far as I can tell, this pic hasn't been photo shopped. Usually its real easy to tell if something has been photo shopped because lighting will be screwed up in the pic (at least that is one of the most common things I see screwed up).

I think when the people on this site say 'slops' it's short for 'slop hose.' I can understand that, since it is easier to type than something like galligaskins, for example.

As for trews, I am not sure I see anything tightly-fitting enough to match my (probably limited) understanding of the garment, although I agree their legwear is well represented. And I agree (as I'm sure most do) with your assessment of their age - I wish our own crewe had a higher percentage of men in their teens and early twenties to supplement the fine batch we already have. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this hobby prices most young men in that demographic right out of the picture.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Been in contact with one of the lads from the Sea Rats.....These guys are hardcore.....And really nice to talk to! Can't wait to see more....

group1.jpg

Wow, I think I feel a case of scurvy comin' on just looking at them! :blink:

Seriously, these guys have a good 'NC Wyeth' feel to them.

481px-TI-stockade.jpg

I'll be looking them up, when I get back from Baghdad.

Dances for nickels.

• 1 month later...
I think when the people on this site say 'slops' it's short for 'slop hose.' I can understand that, since it is easier to type than something like galligaskins, for example.

As for trews, I am not sure I see anything tightly-fitting enough to match my (probably limited) understanding of the garment, although I agree their legwear is well represented. And I agree (as I'm sure most do) with your assessment of their age - I wish our own crewe had a higher percentage of men in their teens and early twenties to supplement the fine batch we already have. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this hobby prices most young men in that demographic right out of the picture.

I'm not so sure pirate re-enacting is out of anyone's price range.... Specially if one is willing to play pirate and not "gentleman pirate"... To make the clothing is rather reasonable in price. Anyone who is willing to do the work can have a decent set of garb for about $50 +/- (depending on sales etc.) and for about $100 (+/-) in fabric and a bit more labour, one can have a freaking fantastic set of garb. The only expensive items are shoes (although going with Mary Diamond's shoes makes this cheap, and going with thrift store conversion shoes is cheaper yet)... Of course then there is the musket and/or sword issue. Those are the only two bank breakers. Many people have spare swords and/or muskets to loan though (admittedly there are fewer loaner muskets out there than swords though).

A member of the local crew I sail with was at an event last weekend, and talked to some members of the Sea Rats for a bit... Said they were a good bunch to work with. Some comments about their numbers though... It was noted that there were about a dozen members of the Sea Rats present at said event, and a very believable claim was made by one of the members present that they had about another dozen members that couldn't make it... and several "hangers on" (whatever that means). So to take this thread back a little ways, it seems that the claims of 60+ active members, and over 150 total members is grossly over exaggerated.... At least going from what the member of the Sea Rats my friend spoke to. I don't mean to harp on that fact, it's totally cool to "pad" the numbers a bit, just about every re-enactment group I know of does that, but grossly exaggerated numbers are just silly and really don't serve anyone well.

Michael_banner.jpg

I trade emails with Joe, their leader, every so often. We've even kicked around the idea of giving up piracy doing something else together. After inviting them to attend any number of events, they finally showed at the last Lockhouse. I guess there were about 8 of them, including one obvious and very cute woman dressed as a guy (one of my pet peeves... ymmv). They showed up, did their thing, didn't rock any boats and were good guys to work with with the exception of the one guy who kept dropping cartridges out on the field and leaving them their after the battle. As I've said to someone else, they remind me of my friends and I when we were young reenactors. Rough around the edges, but interested in doing a good job. Anyway... I like them, and hope to do the Lockhouse again with them come November.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I'm not so sure pirate re-enacting is out of anyone's price range.... Specially if one is willing to play pirate and not "gentleman pirate"... To make the clothing is rather reasonable in price. Anyone who is willing to do the work can have a decent set of garb for about $50 +/- (depending on sales etc.) and for about $100 (+/-) in fabric and a bit more labour, one can have a freaking fantastic set of garb. The only expensive items are shoes (although going with Mary Diamond's shoes makes this cheap, and going with thrift store conversion shoes is cheaper yet)... Of course then there is the musket and/or sword issue. Those are the only two bank breakers. Many people have spare swords and/or muskets to loan though (admittedly there are fewer loaner muskets out there than swords though).

Well, I really did mean that high-school/college-age demographic. I was perhaps anomalous, but between saving up for college in high school, and then paying for college and rent while I attended college*, I would have been hard-pressed to afford even the $100 mark. The moment I started an actual job I had more income than I knew what to do with, after those years of minimal spending.

But you're right, in that it isn't a very expensive hobby when it comes right down to it. You can make everything you need, with the exception of the big-ticket items that aren't necessarily crucial anyway. You can form your own hats, sew your own clothes (even cut stockings out of wool if so inclined), carve and finish your own truncheon, make your own belts and boxes - which is where I am. Unfortunately, in my case, I also have a burning desire for evermore 'details' that continue to bankrupt my hobby funds.

*And I didn't even own a car, with all of it associated costs.

Edited by Bloody Jack Madd

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

It's relative. Compared to roleplaying, this is an astonishingly expensive hobby! And insanely expensive to do right. C'mon... Sarah Juniper shoes will set you back $400.

Yeah, but not all of us are as lucky as you to own such spelndiforous shoes BlackJohn! <_<

Funny thing about Role Playing games and costs... Most role players I have come across spent more money on games and books than I have spent on re-enacting gear... <_< Most humourous part of this, is that the best role-players I have ever gamed with spent the least amount of money on books... For role-playing less is definately more! Now if I could only find a good group to get into a game with over this winter.

Speaking of the Lockehouse in November BlackJohn... What is the date for that again? (I know I could look it up myself, but I'm being lazy today)... Not much chance I can make it, but if I can get a few of the local crew that has been forming up to carpool together, it may just be a realistic option.

Michael_banner.jpg

Yeah, but not all of us are as lucky as you to own such spelndiforous shoes BlackJohn! <_<

Seriously. In a way, it is a curse.

Funny thing about Role Playing games and costs... Most role players I have come across spent more money on games and books than I have spent on re-enacting gear... <_< Most humourous part of this, is that the best role-players I have ever gamed with spent the least amount of money on books... For role-playing less is definately more! Now if I could only find a good group to get into a game with over this winter.

Hahahaha... truth!

It's a cheap fix. And as such, it adds up over time!

I must have at least a thousand bucks in 2nd edition D&D stuff, but from over the course of 5-10 years. The single most expensive thing I ever bought was... probably ~$40 for a new GURPS book. Still less than the price of a new PS3 game!

Oh... I think that best gamers/least books thing has something to do with the fact that the more books you have, the greater the tendency to get bogged down in the rules. It happens with us at times. Nothing worse than, "hold on, while I look for the rule on grappling one-armed with my off-hand" type situations to stymie the flow.

Speaking of the Lockehouse in November BlackJohn... What is the date for that again? (I know I could look it up myself, but I'm being lazy today)... Not much chance I can make it, but if I can get a few of the local crew that has been forming up to carpool together, it may just be a realistic option.

November... 8th? It's the weekend after the Whydah exhibit closes. I'm 99% certain that's the 8th.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Let's see now, MP3 player-$200, laptop to take to class instead of using desktop $600-? Trendy shoes $ 90-?, trendy Backpack $75-?, designer labels and so on. Nah, they cannot afford to play pirate. (HeeeHeeHeee) We live in a lazy electronic age, and re-enacting is just too much work for todays youth by and large. Cost is really irrelevant. JMO Take it or leave it.

Bo

• 5 months later...
...Also, not sure if we are using all the correct terms here. For those referring to slops, when you say that, you mean the suits of clothing made for sea (the proper meaning of slops) or are you just referring to the trousers?

Bit late in with this one, but it may be important one day... the word 'slops' can be taken in period to mean either the full suit of clothing or wide, short trousers. Both meanings are equally proper.

The OED quotes the 1706 edition of The New World of English Words: 'Slops, a wide sort of Breeches worn by Seamen'

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• 3 months later...

Raise the Jolly Roger and run out the guns.

NEWS FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL

July 9, 2009

Vol. 39, No. 299

Contact: Richard Julian, Cape Henlopen State Park, 302-645-6852; or Necia Beck, Delaware State Parks, 302-739-9175, necia.beck@state.de.us

Pirates are coming to Cape Henlopen State Park

LEWES – Cape Henlopen staff invites the public to witness life during the golden age of piracy in the year 1715, as the Sea Rats Atlantic historical maritime crew “comes ashore” at Cape Henlopen State Park.

This group of real life sailors who operate period wooden watercraft throughout the Eastern seaboard will offer hands-on activities and demonstrations to the public at the Nature Center on from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, July 18.

Activities include period cooking, demonstrations of how pirates lived while ashore and displays of period wooden watercraft skills and artifacts.

Members of the Sea Rats Atlantic look as if they stepped straight out of history down to the smallest detail, including the proper “grit.” This is a free program, but park entrance fees are in effect.

More information is available by contacting the Nature Center at 302-645-6852.

-30-

Dances for nickels.

I came across these guys at jamestowne in april. I was rather impressed with their numbers and impression, and even more impressed by the fact that joe(their captain) seem to be QUITE the jack of all trades. From making their guns, to swords(good man!) I also meet 2 or three of them at lockhouse a few weeks ago(borrowed clothing from one even lol) they seem to know their stuff, which means a heck of alot to me....hope they get the web site up soon......may it be noted that im letting a few items of garb go........quite unwashed, i like zee dirty look(not sure i can get trousers as dirty as dutch's pair though)...just my thoughts.....

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

• 2 months later...

Well I did not mean to start any sort of fuss here on the forum, but maybe i should have been more clear in my last post.

I'm not an official member of the sea rats but i did attend 1 event with the crew a year ago, a friend of mine is quite active and got me involved, perhaps all the correct info could be obtained by asking him.

Edited by sirwheels25

I ran into these guys this past weekend at the Half Moon 400th Anniversary event. I've seen them before and been a bit skeptical, but this past weekend I was definitely unimpressed. The date on the event was 1609 for ship activities, and 1650 for onshore militia activities. My opinion is that they were out of place. Garb was too late period and not representative of either the Dutch sailors or the colonists. Wrong cut, wrong silhouette and wrong colour. They were wearing the same thing I've seen at 18th C events. It did not help when, on Sunday morning, they tied one of their number to a modern lamppost with some sort of sign attached to him. Whatever else, this was NOT a pirate event and that sort of thing should not have been happening.

There seems to be a pattern of excusing them because they are young and we need new members in the hobby. They should still have to conform to all the standards and practices.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg