L.A. Tall Ships Festival of Sail

Iron Bess

Ahoy mates,

This is located at LAMI near to San Pedro and Ports of Call…

The “Los Angels Maritime Institute” and it is a WONDERFUL event for families.

The main areas are all free to the public however the sails do require tickets.

PRP was just invited to come down and add the Pirate atmosphere with music, stories and general conversations with the public so come on down and enjoy this beautiful area of SoCal if you can and take a sail on a Tall Ship!

Lots of fun to be had for sure :(

http://www.lafestivalofsail.info/

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

This is located at LAMI near to San Pedro and Ports of Call…

http://www.lafestivalofsail.info/

Is there still a 'Ports of Call'???

I went seek'n it a few month back and could naught find it anywhere down there anymore! It use'd t' have a BIG sign "Welcome To Ports of Call" and had shops 'n a restaurant, across from it was once a Wonderful fish shop what would steam yer clam 'n oyster right on th' spot as they come off th' ship....but it looks like that all be gone now? E'en the ticker taker at Queen Mary had no idea what I was speak'n about but said many stop and ask her....??

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Indeed, Ports of Call is still there but only faint shadow of her former self.

Empty store fronts and the like. Not like the GLory days of the 60,70, and 80's

But... it's still there. :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

How do you get there?? I went to the end of Queen Mary parking and hit a dead end...I took the fork to the right and just went in circles of shipping yards.

I think the last time I was there was in the late 70s, I wanted to re-visit some of me old romping grounds and tried to find it just several months ago and went home empty handed...like I said even the Queen Mary people had no idea what I was looking for and told me if I wanted 'shops' and 'restaurants' then I need'd to go "cross the way t' Shoreline Village..."

I even flagged down a black & white crusing around the shipyards and he only scratched he's head and again pointed me to Shoreline Village...

...nobody knows about Ports O' Call???? why they had some o' the best ever little sea shell shops and other really cool stuff! I even got me very first pet hermit crab from a little shop in Ports O' Call....what more could a kid ask for!!!

Los Angeles Maritime Institute

Berth 84, Foot of 6th Street

San Pedro, CA 90731

Tel #- (888) LAMI808

Ports of Call Village

1100 Nagoya Way

San Pedro, CA 90731-4408

The Queen Mary

1126 Queen's Highway

Long Beach, CA 90802

This looks like it is going to be an excellent event, unfortunately, I am already committed elsewhere. :lol:

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Ports of Call Village

1100 Nagoya Way

San Pedro, CA 90731-4408

B)

THey MoVed IT!!!

No wonder I could naught find it, I was search'n at th' end o' th' 710 freeway where it use'd t' be when I was but a wee snipe o' a lad!!!

...musta been them unionized cor-pirate dock workers!!! ;)

....bet that be why I can naught find Marine Land either, them sneaky San Pedro Dons musta moved it too!! ;)

....bet that be why I can naught find Marine Land either ;)

Actually its now located at Camp Pendleton. B)

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Really?!!? They re-opened Marine Land???

Do they still have a Seal Show???

B)

Yes, they do have a SEAL show on occassion. However, you'll find a much better SEAL show down around Coronado.

Primarily they concentrate on Marine life. So, you'll get to see devil dogs, the elusive jarhead, and the very famous leatherneck. It's really very interesting, you should go down and tell them you'd like to sign up for a tour. They'll be very helpful!

How do you get there?? I went to the end of Queen Mary parking and hit a dead end...I took the fork to the right and just went in circles of shipping yards.

I think the last time I was there was in the late 70s, I wanted to re-visit some of me old romping grounds and tried to find it just several months ago and went home empty handed...like I said even the Queen Mary people had no idea what I was looking for and told me if I wanted 'shops' and 'restaurants' then I need'd to go "cross the way t' Shoreline Village..."

I even flagged down a black & white crusing around the shipyards and he only scratched he's head and again pointed me to Shoreline Village...

...nobody knows about Ports O' Call???? why they had some o' the best ever little sea shell shops and other really cool stuff! I even got me very first pet hermit crab from a little shop in Ports O' Call....what more could a kid ask for!!!

Easiest way to Port O' Call village is, the 110 fwy to the Vincent Thomas Bridge and exit Harbor Blvd continue to 6th street and turn left; your there.

I volunteer once in awhile on the brigantines and I plan on helping out that weekend. LAMI really needs bodies to run booths and etc; if you're interested goto www.lamitopsail.org

;)

sail_battles_longbeach05_031_405.jpg

BATTLESAIL

It's really very interesting, you should go down and tell them you'd like to sign up for a tour. They'll be very helpful!

:o

Last Time I Did That I Was Gone Fer FOUR YEAR Plus A Little Bit!!

...heck, me dog did naught even remember me when I got back, bite me in th' leg he did! ....'er maybe that because I did naught put any extra food out befer I left :blink:

Bloody 'ell, I even lost me girlfriend by th' time I got back...well, I did naught actually 'loose' here, I know where she be, just when I go there she is do'n someone else...th' Tour Guide bloke says he's name Jody...odd, fer me girlfriend was call'n "Roy..." :blink:

B) hey, at least I remember'd it be at th' END o' a freeway...

B)

They MoVed The FreeWays!!!!!

Ha ha ha..I remember vaguely the Pike...I remember reading a newspaper article when they where tearing it down, that at one of the fun houses a dummy broke open and it was really a mummy...(probably someone got rid of someone back in the old days....the hard way)...

Ports of Call is still where it always was in San Pedro...just take the 110 till it ends on Gaffey go down about 7 blocks and make a left you run into it....used to go there back in the 60's alot with mom/dad.

Marineland...I don't know if the Donald has turned it into condo's or a golf course yet...but I remember going on a little trip to it's remainder and took some wild geraniums and they are still growing in my yard and it reminds me of the good old days of Marineland..they should have never gotten rid of it. I heard at one time that Univ. of Santa Barbara was going to annex it and use some of it for research and leave the rest as an amusement...too bad that did not happen. The kelp bed are right there and if your a local kid from the South Bay like me you know where to find a couple of caves around the bend from Marineland by their dock..or was once a dock.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna go on Sunday....but if they move the freeways or rotate the bay around t' get me lost...I will be very dissapointed :(

It all starts tomorrow:

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Friday, August 15, 2008

10:00 a.m. - Grand Parade of Sail

Activities & Booths Open

8:00 p.m. – “Mutiny on the Bounty” Movie Showing

Warner Grand Theatre, San Pedro*

Saturday, August 16, 2008

11 a.m. -7:00 p.m. – Ship Viewing , Entertainment,

Children’s Activities & Booths Open

(Ships participating in cannon battles will close to boarding at 4:30 PM)

5:00-5:30 p.m. - Boarding and departure of cannon battle ships

7:30 p.m. - Cannon battles ships return

8:00 p.m. – “Master & Commander” Movie Showing

Sunday, August 17, 2008

11 a.m. -7:00 p.m. – Ship Viewing , Entertainment,

Children’s Activities & Booths Open

(Ships participating in cannon battles close at 4:30 PM)

2:00 p.m. – “SpongeBob Square Pants: the Movie” Showing

4:00 p.m. – “Hook” Movie Showing

5:00 - 5:30 p.m. - Boarding and departure of cannon battle ships

7:30 p.m. - Cannon battles ships return

Participating Ships

USCG BARQUE EAGLE

HMS SURPRISE

HMS BOUNTY

STS KAISEI

SSV TOLE MOUR

ST/V's EXY JOHNSON & IRVING JOHNSON

CALIFORNIAN

SPIRIT OF DANA POINT

SSV ROBERT C. SEAMANS

LYNX

PILGRIM

AMERICAN PRIDE

CURLEW

SEAWARD

:lol:

sail_battles_longbeach05_031_405.jpg

BATTLESAIL

Avast!! After a l-o-n-g day, Saturday, in traffic school t' pay me fine for speed'n back from Nor Cal last month, I thought I would go t' th' Festival O' Sail 'n see some ships...but, what I found was so much more!!

Festival o'.....wenches??

...but I must say, this was th' dryest o' all th' festival I have attend'd this year. I had t' walk a mile for a drop o' ale! And there naught be single sound o' song t' be heard save for two lone bagpipe blowers....? B)

• 9 months later...

http://www.tallshipsfestival.com/

September 12th & 13th, 2009: Toshiba Tall Ships Festival

Dana Point, CALIFORNIA

Tall ships parade (Brig Pilgrim, Spirit of Dana Point and many others) , sunset sails. Ship tours, cannon battles, sea chanteys, art show, pirate camp (Port Royal Privateers), tour the Ocean Institute, food, music and much more. No Quarter Given booth.  Usually held the weekend after Labor Day. Call the Ocean Institute at (949) 496-2274

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

• 2 months later...

End the day with a Pirate Concert...

For those of you attending this FUN event… Saturday evening there will be a concert over at the Jolly Rodger restaurant (right on the water) by Pirates of the Black Swan. B)

Updated information on the Concert can be had at the Port Royal Privateers Encampment during the day.

The Jolly Rodger will be loaded up with Pirates so come on over and party with yer mates! B)

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Hey Mateys, Tis a grand event and benefits the Ocean Institute and their research to save our Oceans. Come down and visit me mates at the Port Royal Privateers encampmen and come sail aboard with me mates on board the ships. The sea air, the sea shanteys, and the Pirates of the Black Swan at the Jolly Roger to finish out yer day. Priceless.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Hey Mateys, Tis a grand event and benefits the Ocean Institute and their research to save our Oceans. Come down and visit me mates at the Port Royal Privateers encampmen and come sail aboard with me mates on board the ships. The sea air, the sea shanteys, and the Pirates of the Black Swan at the Jolly Roger to finish out yer day. Priceless.

Pirates of the Black Swan MySpace

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.