Repro Ear Scoops and Personal Hygiene Items?

Misson

Does anyone know of a site selling close to period ear scoops or other personal hygiene items? I thought Godwin might carry such, but they are sadly lacking in what I am looking for. (Ear Scoops seem to fetch an absurdly high price on eBay.)

While I'm asking, does anyone know of a good period barbering site or book? I haven't done a deep search for such, I am just hoping someone can save me some time digging.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Does anyone know of a site selling close to period ear scoops or other personal hygiene items?

personal hygiene or hearing device?

1600’s – 1799

Dating as far back as the seventeenth century, sailors would use a device called an Ear Trumpet to communicate with each other over long distances. The devices were eventually used by individuals afflicted with hearing loss. Though people used these devices for many years, the business of selling Ear Trumpets did not begin until the turn of the nineteenth century.Site

SHIP2-1.jpg

Yeah, an ear cleaning tool, not a hearing device. It seems like something a doctor might want to have handy. They sometimes came in picket hygiene kits that included other such items. Unfortunately I don't plan to go to Jamestown or Williamsburg any time soon.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Very cool. Thanks! (I should have thought of Greg, too. I think I'll shoot him an email just to see if he has one in stock. We must support the Official Period Correct PiP Vendor, after all.)

another approach is candling. these are hollow wax tubes that can be found in health food stores. stick one end in your ear and light the other. a draft is formed sucking out impurities, evil, and that left over jellybean from six easters ago. been used for centuries.

:( Dutch...

You know, I poked around one of the history website stores and found myself getting frustrated so I stopped. Thanks for the link, Kate ($62!!)

So tell me about your friend Jen... function over form.

misson, i can make a spoon out of bone if you like. i have a chunk left from another project.

That'd be splendid! A Dutch original! Then I can natter on about my Patrick Hand original hat and my Dutch original earscoop.

So tell me about your friend Jen... function over form.

She's a crazy bronzer....that's about the extent of it. The stuff she makes is just very simple...and she can make just about anything you show her a photo of too.

!!

How about this:

saw_amputation_Hobbs_c.1600_wb_overall.jpg

It's a little bigger than an ear scoop...about 20 inches bigger.

Every time you post that image Misson, I can't help but be marvelled by it...

The blade is steel (or iron), of that I have no doubt...

The handle looks like turned wood with metal caps on both ends... But I can't wuite tell if the metal caps on the handle and the spine of the saw is iron/steel with a very aged patina, or if all the metal that isn't the blade is a copper allow (brass/bronze). Do you have any other information about the saw? Or is the image all you have?

Michael_banner.jpg

another approach is candling. these are hollow wax tubes that can be found in health food stores. stick one end in your ear and light the other. a draft is formed sucking out impurities, evil, and that left over jellybean from six easters ago. been used for centuries.

I was under the distinct impression that the thrifty and frugal could collect said earwax, and after a period of time coat his cartridges for faster loading at a later date.

Perhaps I was mistaken....[/size=1] :(

Dances for nickels.

Every time you post that image Misson, I can't help but be marvelled by it...

The blade is steel (or iron), of that I have no doubt...

The handle looks like turned wood with metal caps on both ends... But I can't wuite tell if the metal caps on the handle and the spine of the saw is iron/steel with a very aged patina, or if all the metal that isn't the blade is a copper allow (brass/bronze). Do you have any other information about the saw? Or is the image all you have?

Oh, I have images. Well, actually, the auction house that sold it has images. I should copy them before they decide to take them down and I now longer have such an awesome reference.

I believe the majority of the saw is iron, but I'd be happy with anything that looked like the saw. It could have been made of brass...

Here are the rest:

saw_amputation_Hobbs_c.1600_wb_spine_center.jpg

saw_amputation_Hobbs_c.1600_wb_finial.jpg

saw_amputation_Hobbs_c.1600_wb_front_bracket.jpg

saw_amputation_Hobbs_c.1600_detail_of_grip.jpg

In fact if anyone knows of someone who might be able to make this, let me know. It doesn't have to be quite this detailed, but I am permanently attached to the finials on the ends at the top. Nor do I care what it's made out of. I'll paint it if necessary. (But not if it's brass.)

• 4 weeks later...

I found a Double Ended Ear Scoop/Tweezers while looking for wooden tankards:

http://www.creativehistory.co.uk/resources/tudor.htm

did people really used t' stick those things in their ears?!!? Me pappy always told me that "Noting smaller then yer elbow goes in yer ear son!"

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I was under the distinct impression that the thrifty and frugal could collect said earwax, and after a period of time coat his cartridges for faster loading at a later date.

Another alternative, according to the woman working in the museum in Jamestown. The earwax was also used for waxing thread. hmmm, I think I'll just stick to bees wax :blink:

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Another alternative, according to the woman working in the museum in Jamestown. The earwax was also used for waxing thread. hmmm, I think I'll just stick to bees wax :(

:blink:

but, where ye gonna find bees on a ship...in th' middle o' th' ocean no less???

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

• 2 years later...

For those of you hungering for a repro-ear scoop (and I know I am talking to many thousands of people here) PoD found this one for me on eBay UK. At US $8.45 shipped, I don't think you can beat it. I've added one to my medical collection. This is also a personal item that a gentleman (and thus, further down the thieving food chain, a pirate) might have had as well. I'll post my thoughts on it once I receive it.

Thanks PoD! :P

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Mission -

Perhaps try http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/theenglishcutler/generalmisc/genmisc-toillette.htm for an earscoop repro.

Peter Goebel also offers a bodkin/earscoop combo http://www.goosebay-workshops.com/MISCELLANEOUS. Note: I got this item for my Maria and it is a great item.

Brass

one of Morgan's Men, "Guantanamo Jack" Brass

"No peace beyond the line"