Great Lakes

JohnnyTarr

Is there anyone out there that can tell me the cost of going thru the locks?

This sounds like something Royaliste would be familiar with. I suppose you could PM him. I believe he has done exactly that with his ship. Anyone who can manage to get a vessel from Michigan/Ohio & possibly Chicago or Milwaukee to the Carolinas knows his stuff. I never even knew of the Intracoastal Waterway from Lake Erie across NY state to Hudson River until he mentioned it a couple of times.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Which locks? Why not look the particular locks you're aiming to go through up on the web? Worst case, if the pricing isn't listed, you can at least get a phone number for them or (in the case of the Soo locks, at least) their visitor center. That will at least get you started.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I was hopeing to figure out how much it costed to go from Lake Michigan to the Atlantic. I have never found out a price for going thru any of the locks. I guess I could ask the people at the locks?

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

• 3 weeks later...

You most definitely want to do the Erie Canal from Tonawanda (Buffalo) to Waterford, then down the Hudson.. Unstep your mast at any of several marinas on the western side, and use the Castleton Boat Club for their do it yourself derrick at 75 bucks...We'll be doin' it again next month, right after Bill Johnston's Pirate Days in A-Bay...Cheap for a small boat, a hunnert bucks for my Tallship..We're going thru the Welland Seaway Canal today, for 'Canal Days' in Port Colborne, then back thru on Monday..really expensive, 320.00

Aye yes the canals be expensive. At least they be a reasonable way these days. When I was a lad growin up in NY the Erie Canal was all but left fer dead. Most towns' locks were quite in need o'repair and the water was a murky yuck. I think the Welland was kept up longer (the usual rule of thumb over here seems to be; the more exposure to Canada, the better kept up something has been.

(Case in point bein the US and Canadian sides o'Niagara Falls. US side has some nice things but nothin like the beauty kept up on the Canadian side. Not the gawdy tourism, I mean the beauty in the parks, the landscaping and all the natural details.)

The canals and waterways be no exception.

Aye Royaliste, I hope to see ye in the A o'the Bay next weekend!! :lol:

Pleasant voyages Johnny Tarr! :lol:

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

Hmm.....As far as I see it, the NY State Canal System is far better than any of the Canadian locks...the Welland is spendy, breaks down, and is fat too regulated. The St. Lawrence Seaway locks aren't any better, with little pleasure boat friendlyness...The Erie is grand, as most towns are competing for the boaters attention, with free shore power and water..the locks are even competing with the towns, as many now have electricity, and a very friendly atmosphere..we can't wait to get back in the Erie in two weeks, as the pace is really laid back...We are mid-lake on Ontario, almost even with Rochester, headed for A-Bay..should be in late Friday, just in time for Pirate Days...There may be a cool suprise on the second weekend...After that, off to Oswego, down the canals to the Hudson, and a few stops 'afore the ocean..We tentatively are going to do an event in Philadelphia mid Sept. with a Blackbeard connection historically,so be keepin' an eye on the horizon for that familiar square tops'l,maytees!...

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Aye all ye aboard the Royaliste, twas mighty fine meetin ye all last weekend in ABay!! Thanks much for the salute too. A mighty fine ship, ye doth have and a fantastic crew!

Yah the Erie Canal has done very much to put itself back on the map again. I think its more recent revamps have made it a quite enjoyable waterway. Yea those in Canada have been up more, but I can't account fer whether or not they have kept them as spiffy as a place like the falls.

They've kept them "useful" but thats probably it. Whereas the Erie hath risen out o'the mighty bowls of a longtime near-extinction to make the beautiful comeback that it hath these days.

Pleasant voyages Royaliste!! :lol:

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>